Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget Package

Default Re: Budget Package

I was listening to the budget yesterday. I had my doubts.

First of all, the GST hike is to raise money to help the low income. I look at the amount given to low income pple, it is so little. Morever, these poor people also need to pay 7% GST. Although the "workfare" did help them to bring more more cash home but is still very little.

Giving money to the poor alone will not help solve the problem. These people need skills and training plus acceptance from employers despite of their age. There is one cleaner who take home $700 had 5 kids ! maybe govt should introduce birth control measures ! tell the poor not to have so many kids.. encourage the rich to have more children.

My question is what if the next 5 years, the size of low income group doubled, are we going to raise GST again to help them ? handouts will not solve the root of the problem.

it's not 7% gst
    it's increase of 2%
    frankly.. tbh, gst increase will definitely affect the poor, but absolute money wise, the amount is not much.

if you ask me, the measures will curb the pain when they are around
    but i'm not actually sure if it's a desirable situation
    i'm sure all of you know the arguments against welfarism (overly done, anyways)

dun gif, kp... gif also kp... not happy, emigrate lor....

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    you leaving cause of this??

Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post

i think must kpkb lor...if not they even lagi happy. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it's not 7% gst
    it's increase of 2%
    frankly.. tbh, gst increase will definitely affect the poor, but absolute money wise, the amount is not much.

if you ask me, the measures will curb the pain when they are around
    but i'm not actually sure if it's a desirable situation
    i'm sure all of you know the arguments against welfarism (overly done, anyways)
    I agree with your analysis. The amount compensated is for the 2% increase, not the entire 7%. Imagine for a poor family now paying 5% gst, and from july onwards a further 2% more. Lets say the amount it got compensated was $250 per year. To make up for 2% increase, that means the poor family is spending 250/2 x 100 = $12500 per year. How much of that is necessity and how much of that is luxury? $12500 on necessity is too much. Definitely some is splurged on luxury item. In my opinion, luxury should be taxed.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    i think must kpkb lor...if not they even lagi happy. LOL

Our elites leaders have plan B liao.

When citizens kpkb....they are quick to show a list of statistic showing all 1st world nations GST or taxes are much higher than us.
    and probably our rankings will be the the bottom one.

Then after reading all the statistics and rankings...you realised you are living in one of the best countries in the world and within seconds, you feel much happier and fortunate again.

You will be grinning from ear to ear and start shopping at vivo city.
    You will realised we are a group of happy citizens living in a happy country.
    Everyone is so happy with the 2% increase.

Happy Lunar New Year!

Totally agree with deceased. lol. don't kb so much also la, never read previous news meh, they got a group of anonm. ppl go forum support gov 1 lei

Quote Originally Posted by hub_bo View Post
    Totally agree with deceased. lol. don't kb so much also la, never read previous news meh, they got a group of anonm. ppl go forum support gov 1 lei
    yah, i also suspect soon juan and gang also got a group of anon supporters. to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by hub_bo View Post
    Like I've said before, Mars and Venus also has their green little men under subterfuge to try to take over planet Earth, starting with SINGAPORE. They do this by subtly posting nice photos to brainwash people on a subconscious level.

=(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12