Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I overreacting?

Default Re: Am I overreacting?

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulphoto View Post
    I've told him before that it'd just be nice to be credited or somehow appreciated for all the work I've done. At this point, I need money fast and I'm to a point where I might just sell my D200 to get the $$ to start paying off my VISA (which is over the limit now!)...it'd just be nice to get some actual $$ for the profession I chose, ya know?
    Thats your business tool for god sake, get that "man" your so call boyfriend to pay up!!!
    At least for the VISA///TRANSPORT///MEALS...

Haiz... I tot it only happens to newbie.....

Draw the line, girl. business is business.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    宁叫人打仔,莫叫人分妻。You guys bad ah
    if before marriage is already like that, what can make people think after marriage will become better?

there is a chinese saying, "before marriage open both eye big big, after marriage close one eye."

wisdom of long lasting marriage relationship.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

dump him

Get your cashflow issue settled first. When money is tight, emotions tend to get the better of us and that'll only create unnecessary delay to finding solutions.

And while repaying the bank, let your BF know that you are working towards settling your credit card payments and need the time to earn $$$, i.e. you need to work on assignments that pay you cash (market rate), i.e. "volunteer" work has to take a back seat for now. If you wish, give him an estimated time frame of how long you need to take to (1) repay the bank AND (2) have sufficient earnings in your account before you are able to spare the time and resource to help him again.

You should be able to tell whether he's for keeps after telling him this.

It's your BF's business you are doing work for, right? Doesn't he have a say in paying you for the work? Maybe he wants to cut cost, and since you are volunteering, he can save cost. He's only a Bf and he is treating you like this? You deserve credit where credit is due. May your bf scared people say he depend on you for his business, that's why he doesn't want people to ask question....hmmm?

I would say, sit down and discuss this matter properly with your BF. Help him see your issues, just as you should see his side of the story. But stop doing work for him. You are not employed by him. You are his GF. Maybe he would expect you to work for him for free when you are both married? For future work, you should discuss the terms, even though you might be volunteering, as in any other form of work between 2 parties. Do not think of him as your bf, in this case.

On second thought, why not ask him to invest in your photography business, for a monthly sum, you could do "volunteer" work for him, and also perhaps have a share of the "profits".
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

BF like that? id have shown hiim the door a long time ago.

ur relationship sounds like a business one to me than a proper one. think best is u have a heart to heart talk to him. if he dun care about you, time for u to dump him. dun need to show face, since he dun show you face.
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

I dun like to put this in an ugly manner .. infact you been taken to much for granted.
    Relationship aside .. the least he could do is give u the credit for the effort and the time. perhap both of you needs to talk together seriously.. least that he think it is a must for u to help along and only a thanks for the photos.

Business is business. it have to be clean cut . I hope that it does affect the relationship as it usually will .

hopefulphoto - i don't think it is too constructive to give you advice on your relationship - that is your biz.
    however a general rule to follow for any of your work done is as follows :-

if you do work for free - u should invoice for it as if it were a regular job and clearly mark on the invoice - Sample invoice etc.
    List out the costs to you e.g transport etc if need be and then add in your hour charge.
    Deliver it in an envelope with your final submission. This will help because :-
    -people can see what goes into your job
    -they will place the value of that invoice on your work
    -they may be more respectful of your time

I sincerely hope you try this and I am confident that you sample invoices will soon turn into real ones as you deserve to be respected.

Goodluck!!

invoice the fellar, in our industry, if no money at least must have credit.
    dont let yourself be duped like that.

if he is not going to pay for the job, at least make him pay for something like petrol, or food or whaterver, get the receipt, invoice the fellar.

and dont do anymore jobs for him.

as for jobs, do weddings la, product la, food la,

also always remember to invoice! be firm not aggressive, and not a pushover

Bad BF..hope you can find a new better one..
    A person is useless unless he is standing up for himself, for his future, and for his dreams.

*feel sorry for you*

... but if you're selling your Nikon D200, do PM me your price ...
    EOS30D|Tamron17-50f2.8|EF50f1.8MkI|EF50f1.4|Cosina28-80f3.5-4.5Macro|Voigtlander APO125f2.5 (sold)

it is interesting that the TS has not responded for so long in this thread and people are still commenting on it...

ask your BF to read your post

Feed him to the wolves
    What a material man..

Question Re: Am I overreacting?

I don't know, but are we only listening to one side of the story? Or maybe even the selected part only?

my point is that, why continue this discussion if the TS hasn't replied for so long...for all we know the situation has been remedied one way or another...

I have two words for you - DUMP HIM!
    What a jerk!

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulphoto View Post
    Iím a young photographer who has just begun her photography website about a year and a half ago. Iím having a hard time finding business where Iím actually getting paid so Iíve been doing mostly ďvolunteerĒ photography through my boyfriendís business. Iíve done photography for him for events around the city and pictures of employees at his station for the business website and such. Iíve placed my copyright on the photos that I recently did for him at this event and theyíre now up on the website and today I went in and did some shots of this new employee there. I took time out of my own schedule and used my own gas to get to there to take the pictures. I then went back home and edited the pictures, sent him the best ones for the website and then he calls me as Iím going out again and says, ďCan you resize the photo to this size?Ē and starts telling me these dimensions. I told him Iíd appreciate if heíd give me some credit on the website and then I can change the dimensions for him. He then told me that he didnít want to put my business name on the website too much as then people would begin asking questions. How can I get around this without sounding like an inconsiderate person? Or am I just totally overreacting? I have a living to make and when I'm taking time out of my own schedule and using my own gas to get to places and they won't even give me credit or pay me, there is something missing there...is there not?
    I am sure most people been through this including myself.

One thing for sure is, You need to have a WRITTEN agreement, be it an email confirmation or fax or signed contract, and you need to make your STAND.

If you are beginner and looking for portfolio, I think it is much cheaper to get it this way rather than hire a model.

Anyway, If you want to get paid, basically, you need to do a few things.
    1. Set the limit on how many jobs you will do for you partner.
    2. Set up pricing after that specific timeline.
    3. Your partner has to agree and sign it.

Put it this way, if you want to do it as Business, you have to treat your partner as a client not just friends. However, once you start charging money, you will realise that the job load will reduce depending on how much you are charging. If you are still doing it for portfolio, I think charging your "COST" should be nice for the first few jobs. Then add your margin onto it after. That's way you have a nice transition.

After that, you just charge what you think YOU ARE WORTHY of.

In photography, there are times you would do some freebies to get more jobs... especially in Commercial line. So don't worry about it.

Don't even thinking of going into Photography business if Money is your #1 priority. You should love your work (not saying you are not), and it will show on the result. Then money will follow.

Love the work you are doing is the key in photography, in my own opinion anyway.

Regards,

Hart

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast