Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

  1. #1

    Default Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    Anyone have recommendations on the above.
    Either schools or home tutor is fine by me.
    Been looking at the papers but dunno which is good.

    TIA!
    "ashes to ashes; funk to funky..we know major_tom's a junkie
    strung out on heaven's high....."

  2. #2

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    Will you be using Japanese very often? If so, I guessed that any school or course is fine. But if you don't, or it is only for interest, it won't make any difference neither.

    The thing is, you've got to speak and practice with the natives. They speak very fast, mind you. I couldn't catch what they were saying most of the time when I was in Japan for vacation.

    Happy learning!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    i have a few frenz who learnt jap from basic to advanced class for many years. but now, still unable to speak fluently and cannot understand jap drama bcos he didn't use it at all.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    might be relocating to Japan wif family mid 2007 for 3-5 yrs..........
    i dunno wanna learn written Jap yet though.......
    "ashes to ashes; funk to funky..we know major_tom's a junkie
    strung out on heaven's high....."

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese


  6. #6

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    heh join JCS
    i am in JCS sun elementary class..
    its pretty good!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    heheheh...jcs. bet i will be only senior citizen in a sea of young teens & adults....
    * embarrassed *
    "ashes to ashes; funk to funky..we know major_tom's a junkie
    strung out on heaven's high....."

  8. #8

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    Quote Originally Posted by major_tom View Post
    might be relocating to Japan wif family mid 2007 for 3-5 yrs..........
    i dunno wanna learn written Jap yet though.......
    Hmmm... it's better to learn both though.. not so you can write essays in Japanese but most of the menus and shops and many many things are in hiragana, katakana and kanji.

    But not to worry, since you will be staying in Japan, you will be able to pick up the language fast.

    In the meantime, watch lots of j-drama and anime. It helps.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    i have a few frenz who learnt jap from basic to advanced class for many years. but now, still unable to speak fluently and cannot understand jap drama bcos he didn't use it at all.
    Ya a colleague of mine also has the same issue. He's now preparing for JLPT3 but once he went Sentosa, saw some Japanese tourists and can't understand a single word they were saying...

    Best is go Japan. Once there, you will have no choice but to speak the language.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    Quote Originally Posted by simplewhale View Post
    Ya a colleague of mine also has the same issue. He's now preparing for JLPT3 but once he went Sentosa, saw some Japanese tourists and can't understand a single word they were saying...

    Best is go Japan. Once there, you will have no choice but to speak the language.
    That's nothing...My first time in Japan, I couldn't understand what 4 year-old nursery kids were trying to tell me, despite having passed JLPT 4.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    Quote Originally Posted by sunfish View Post



  12. #12

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    Hah Major Tom, relocating to Japan? Which part? Need anything just give me a PM. Did some stuff over there and can share whatever I know with you.

    As for language, good to go for some classes to pick up the basics like but end of the day, you got to be there to really pick it up to be able to speak fluently.

    The thing is Japanese language has it's own slang and also dialects. Example people in Osaka and Kagoshima speak differently from those in Tokyo. And even in Tokyo people who live in certain districts speak differently. Its like our Singlish. Hence what you learn in school is the proper Japanese, what is spoken is quite different.

    Hope it helps.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Hah Major Tom, relocating to Japan? Which part? Need anything just give me a PM. Did some stuff over there and can share whatever I know with you.

    As for language, good to go for some classes to pick up the basics like but end of the day, you got to be there to really pick it up to be able to speak fluently.

    The thing is Japanese language has it's own slang and also dialects. Example people in Osaka and Kagoshima speak differently from those in Tokyo. And even in Tokyo people who live in certain districts speak differently. Its like our Singlish. Hence what you learn in school is the proper Japanese, what is spoken is quite different.

    Hope it helps.
    still negotiating package with HR......looking out for International schools for kids, accomodation etc.....will be in tokyo 3-5 yrs and possibly longer. Yes, I do agree. spoken Japanese and what you actually learn is quite diff. I have tried attending schools here on 3 occasions but gave up due to work commitments and as I cant read/write Chinese, I had difficulty in writing kanji/hiragana and what-nots. Hence, my plan to go conversational this time round.
    "ashes to ashes; funk to funky..we know major_tom's a junkie
    strung out on heaven's high....."

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

    dun worry about picking up japanese if you are going over to japan to work
    juz mix around with the locals, colleagues for drinking sessions and you will definitely be able to pick it up fast. especially after a few drinks it will be "nomu"(飲む)nication.

    No kidding on this one... that is how i learnt mine.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •