Thread: buying cam bags for travelling

Default buying cam bags for travelling

i want to get some camera bags but i was afraid it would look very much a muggers' target.
    yet i want something tht allows for "quick deployment"

ideas ?

Default Re: buying cam bags for travelling

hmmm....for my this US trip, i bought a lowepro compudaypack. work pretty nice, but only if you bring very little equipment. most importantly, it is not too expensive. wanted to get the compurover, but it was both expensive and big.

btw, what exactly are you going for? as in travelling meaning going for a holiday trip or trekking? or travelling meaning general movement, like taking the mrt and bus? cos if you are talking about general purpose ones, then i always prefer slingbags cos they are faster to deploy. i give a vote to lowepro ST D400 AW. crumplers are just too expensive, though i would buy them if i can afford to.
    Last edited by satay16; 13th February 2007 at 06:37 PM.

st d400 aw?

i looked at compudaypack but it was too small to accomodate my 70-300vr lens.
    travelling during my R&R days in ROC. i reckon city areas

hmm.....like that i find compurover quite nice, cos it has that compartnet to put stuffs like extra clothes and water bottles. and it can fit a 70-200 too.

I u dun want to carry something that shout "camera bag", in my opinion, there is only 2 brands that works many years ago.

Crumpler is one of them which I have travelled to Sydney and Newcastle and many big cities and no one even the locals know that is a camera bag (Crumpler is AU brand). I particularly get the backpack so that I look like a backpacker rather than photographer and because its like a backpack without so much partitions unlike a traditional camera bag, its relatively safe in cities.

If u can afford, get the billingham...its an English bag that looks like a normal business bag, schoolbag, traveller bag but never a camera bag. If u tour in Europe then u have no lack of people using similar bags as yours. Europeans are particularly fond of it.

Nowadays although they still don't shout "camera bags" but their popularities among photographers had indeed null this sole purpose of it. I can identify a photographer from their choices of bags which nowadays if I'm avoiding attention, I will use a camera bag that is unfamiliar in that country. Eg. I will use a model or brand from CN and use in SG, a TH brand in US or a FI brand in MA etc.

The sure way to go for attention is indeed Lowepro (all around the world), Tamrac (continental US), Domke (US & Europe)...not forgetting the camera brands bags like Nikon, Canon, Sony .... but lately some of these brands have also some models that dun look so photobag which can be considered if u remove the brand label.

how abt Delsey? i got a sling bag of this brand. not sure if d bigger 1s can fit ur requirement...

but its got nice firm padding & lots of it at an affordable price too!

here's d link http://www.delseycamerabags.com/

i m currently using XEO P95.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 14th February 2007 at 12:30 AM.

where can i find these bags ? delsey, crumpler
    and also places that dont mind ppl testing the bags a little. because i want to make sure my lenses fit and feels comfortable to carry and also to check out the compartments

i find it hard to visit cathay photo because i am doing NS now and weekends CP is closed.

for travelling, is it ideal to carry to carry those backpack style bags or those side types?
    Last edited by Murcielago; 14th February 2007 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
    I u dun want to carry something that shout "camera bag", in my opinion, there is only 2 brands that works many years ago.

Crumpler is one of them which I have travelled to Sydney and Newcastle and many big cities and no one even the locals know that is a camera bag (Crumpler is AU brand). I particularly get the backpack so that I look like a backpacker rather than photographer and because its like a backpack without so much partitions unlike a traditional camera bag, its relatively safe in cities.

If u can afford, get the billingham...its an English bag that looks like a normal business bag, schoolbag, traveller bag but never a camera bag. If u tour in Europe then u have no lack of people using similar bags as yours. Europeans are particularly fond of it.

Nowadays although they still don't shout "camera bags" but their popularities among photographers had indeed null this sole purpose of it. I can identify a photographer from their choices of bags which nowadays if I'm avoiding attention, I will use a camera bag that is unfamiliar in that country. Eg. I will use a model or brand from CN and use in SG, a TH brand in US or a FI brand in MA etc.

The sure way to go for attention is indeed Lowepro (all around the world), Tamrac (continental US), Domke (US & Europe)...not forgetting the camera brands bags like Nikon, Canon, Sony .... but lately some of these brands have also some models that dun look so photobag which can be considered if u remove the brand label.
    Frak... Does that means Crumpler is better for travelling in Europe? Or maybe Safrotto is better? :P

Account Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    Frak... Does that means Crumpler is better for travelling in Europe? Or maybe Safrotto is better? :P
    I'd go with Crumpler.

Quote Originally Posted by Murcielago View Post
    i want to get some camera bags but i was afraid it would look very much a muggers' target.
    yet i want something tht allows for "quick deployment"

ideas ?

I have got a Brand New Tamrac 5618 Turbo CyberPro Camera Bag to let.
    http://sg.auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i::221378340

i got d Delsey at Mustafa Shopping Centre. B1 new extension. take lift down. limited models.
    sometimes can try luggage section in big departmental stores. Planet Traveller may hav a small collection of cam bags?

here's d agent for Delsey. they should kno where has a gd range of their products. now i tempted to upgrade...

Schmidt Marketing (Singapore) Pte (Distributor)
    address

1, Jalan Kilang Timor
    07-02 Pacific Tech Centre
    Singapore 159303

SINGAPORE
    tel (65) 6275 7888
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 15th February 2007 at 03:28 AM.

got anymore tips and recommendations?

buy a crappy big bag and put the camera bag inside lah. so easy. no one want to steal.