Thread: Software to create Gallery

Default Software to create Gallery

I am looking for a software that will allow me to easily manage my photos online by putting them in catergories, adding new albums, adding new photos when I want to etc...

An example would but that of Gallery at http://gallery.menalto.com/index.php

But what I want is something more idiot proof that I can fiddle around and set up on my computer and just upload to my web server to be linked to my domain name.

Is there such a software and which would you recommend?

tried quite number of them but gallery still looks the best i feel, in fact just the configuration part a bit troublesome, the user interface n functions etc are nice!

Originally posted by chenwei
    tried quite number of them but gallery still looks the best i feel, in fact just the configuration part a bit troublesome, the user interface n functions etc are nice!
    But it sounds really confusing when I read the instructions. I read somewhere that it does not support win98 or something. But I can't remember for sure. Is this true?

Breezebrowser has it as part of it features.

I believe Photoshop also has it.

Originally posted by elutris

But it sounds really confusing when I read the instructions. I read somewhere that it does not support win98 or something. But I can't remember for sure. Is this true?
    quoted from gallery...
    "Users have experienced a great deal of difficulty getting Gallery to run properly on Win98, WinME or IIS4.0/5.0. As a result, we do not support those platforms! Sorry, but there are only so many hours in a day, we do this for free and we don't have time to support every platform."

anyway why not upgrade to win2k? much more stable than win98...

quoted from gallery...
    "Users have experienced a great deal of difficulty getting Gallery to run properly on Win98, WinME or IIS4.0/5.0. As a result, we do not support those platforms! Sorry, but there are only so many hours in a day, we do this for free and we don't have time to support every platform."

anyway why not upgrade to win2k? much more stable than win98...
    thinking of reformating my computer soon and installing win2k but i can't cos i've got an ongoing project installed and i can't risk something going wrong.... ARGH!

Thanks anyway, I shall try it when I've got win2k installed.

BTW, I read the readme file and they mentioned that there are 3 ways to install and configure gallery. One is thru telnet, another thru FTP and the last thru windows.

Does that mean even if I am having win98se, i can still use ftp to install and configure on my server?

Gallery is a software that you install on your webserver. What it does is that you can create categories/albums, and also upload photos to it. The management part is done on the webserver rather than on your own computer.

The part about "difficulty in getting Gallery to run properly on Win98, WinME or IIS4.0/5.0" applies to the webserver requirements, so it doesn't matter what OS you use for your own computer.

Try JAblum. It is a java program and freeware. Feature rich. Google for it.

elutris i believe it will be windows since u will be installing on ur own machine, telnet n ftp won't apply. telnet is basically for running the secure n configure script, where ftp is to change the permission.

Originally posted by aCiDz
    Gallery is a software that you install on your webserver. What it does is that you can create categories/albums, and also upload photos to it. The management part is done on the webserver rather than on your own computer.

The part about "difficulty in getting Gallery to run properly on Win98, WinME or IIS4.0/5.0" applies to the webserver requirements, so it doesn't matter what OS you use for your own computer.
    wat elutris mean is that he is going to install on his pc... using his pc as a web server...

elutris i believe it will be windows since u will be installing on ur own machine, telnet n ftp won't apply. telnet is basically for running the secure n configure script, where ftp is to change the permission.

wat elutris mean is that he is going to install on his pc... using his pc as a web server...
    Hmm, maybe I am not too sure of the terms I am using but what I actually meat by my last post was...

I read the readme file and I am under the impression that there are 3 ways to install, configure, basically to get gallery running so that i can view the gallery on my webpage.

one is thru telnet, another thru ftp and the last thru windows.

since win98 is not supported, is it possibly for me to use another way, eg, ftp, to do the stuff i need to do to get my gallery up and running on the web?

JavaGuru, thanks for the tip. Will look into it.

Originally posted by Java_Guru
    Try JAblum. It is a java program and freeware. Feature rich. Google for it.
    Thanks! Great recommendation!

Hmm, maybe I am not too sure of the terms I am using but what I actually meat by my last post was...

I read the readme file and I am under the impression that there are 3 ways to install, configure, basically to get gallery running so that i can view the gallery on my webpage.

one is thru telnet, another thru ftp and the last thru windows.

since win98 is not supported, is it possibly for me to use another way, eg, ftp, to do the stuff i need to do to get my gallery up and running on the web?

JavaGuru, thanks for the tip. Will look into it.
    the 3 ways described is the way to install the gallery, basically if win98 is not supported, then no matter which u try u still won't get it run properly.

btw, JAlbum looks not bad, maybe u can give it a try also...

the 3 ways described is the way to install the gallery, basically if win98 is not supported, then no matter which u try u still won't get it run properly.

Don't underestimate install apache and php on a win98. It is not as straightforward as u think. These are required for gallery to work.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity , elutris, are you trying to install Gallery on your own pc running Win98, or on a remote webserver?

Originally posted by aCiDz
    Just to satisfy my own curiosity , elutris, are you trying to install Gallery on your own pc running Win98, or on a remote webserver?
    Basically, I have some webspace on a server and I want my photos to be up there so that everyone in the world can view them. THAT is my aim.

The proceedings in order to do that, I am not sure. Whether I have to install into my computer or to my webserver, I am not sure ... that's why I am asking actually...

So how now? Can be done even though I am using Win98SE?

ClubSNAP Admin

Basically, I have some webspace on a server and I want my photos to be up there so that everyone in the world can view them. THAT is my aim.

The proceedings in order to do that, I am not sure. Whether I have to install into my computer or to my webserver, I am not sure ... that's why I am asking actually...

So how now? Can be done even though I am using Win98SE?
    You dun have to reformat your computer.

The Gallery software is to be install into your webpave on the server you subscribed.

Let me know if you need any assistant on installation.