Thread: Any advice on Lhasa Trip?

Default Any advice on Lhasa Trip?

Hiya, for those who've been there, appreciate if you can share your experience. also, which travel agent organize Lhasa trip here in Singapore?
    Games of Thrones.....

Default Re: Any advice on Lhasa Trip?

If this reply is not too late, then check out this agency: http://www.boac-online.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtngods View Post
    If this reply is not too late, then check out this agency: http://www.boac-online.com
    u have any experience with them?

Hey,

I used these (Aug 06) guys who are based in Chengdu, www.tibetantrekking.com whom arrange most part of trips, also recommended by Lonely Planet. They would handle your flights from Chengdu into Lhasa as well. Custom your itinerary beforehand as you would need a permit application for most places you want to go to. I went with just another friend.

Around Lhasa, really you can do on your own but Potala is tricky because you need to get tickets at least a few days in advance and you only have ONE hour. Other monasteries are easy to get to and pretty much free and easy, even managed to walk around in wee hours without any problem cept Chinese guards trying to take my camera for taking pictures near one of the bridges. Stay near Bakhor, recommended Yak Hotel.

Outside Lhasa would require a four-wheel drive to take you around. But very beautiful indeed, would depend on your driver which routes he takes. There was this time which i pass thru something like a desert (near Gyantse) and 4 hours later passing a mountain pass (on way to Lake Namtso) at 5,000m where everything was white because of snow.

No need for taking the train as you get those sceneries most places in Tibet anyway, the sun is intense so polarizer (at 90 degree of course) is absolute must. Come to think of it, my avatar was taken by my friend whilst i was changing lens on second floor of Jokhang monastery.

Oh! DO NOT underestimate the need for high fitness level, it would help in aclimatisation as well and if you are the nauseas type then pad a few days rest there. Read up a little on Tibet struggle too, I thought the day and age for colonisation is over but apparently not. Watch Kundun too.
    Last edited by jaxxb; 10th March 2007 at 11:09 PM.

wow, jaxxb, u sure enjoyed ur self back in Lhasa. btw, is it possible for foreigners to rent a 4WD independent without a guide?

Any recommendation for places to visit upon entering Lhasa.

haha, i'm planning to visit Lhasa too. Looks like its a thriving tourism hotspot.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxxb View Post
    Hey,

I used these (Aug 06) guys who are based in Chengdu, www.tibetantrekking.com whom arrange most part of trips, also recommended by Lonely Planet. They would handle your flights from Chengdu into Lhasa as well. Custom your itinerary beforehand as you would need a permit application for most places you want to go to. I went with just another friend.

Around Lhasa, really you can do on your own but Potala is tricky because you need to get tickets at least a few days in advance and you only have ONE hour. Other monasteries are easy to get to and pretty much free and easy, even managed to walk around in wee hours without any problem cept Chinese guards trying to take my camera for taking pictures near one of the bridges. Stay near Bakhor, recommended Yak Hotel.

Outside Lhasa would require a four-wheel drive to take you around. But very beautiful indeed, would depend on your driver which routes he takes. There was this time which i pass thru something like a desert (near Gyantse) and 4 hours later passing a mountain pass (on way to Lake Namtso) at 5,000m where everything was white because of snow.

No need for taking the train as you get those sceneries most places in Tibet anyway, the sun is intense so polarizer (at 90 degree of course) is absolute must. Come to think of it, my avatar was taken by my friend whilst i was changing lens on second floor of Jokhang monastery.

Hi, able to share some sceneries photos outside Lhasa? Thanks.

Hi,
    I have rent 4W vehicle 2 years back from Yunnam cross over to Lhasa.
    Yes, it is possible to do without guide but not legal.
    Nobody bothers you as long you look "Chinese" enough.

Hunt around for agents when you reach Yunnam... there is no such things as an agent having exclusive right to travel overland.

I have met Malaysian backpackers who traveled via public transport (Bus, mini van and big truck) on the same route I took.

I do not personally encounter mountain sickness... but my friend has pretty bad headache.
    If I am not wrong, there are talk on travel sickness and such at TTS hospital. ..

Hope this will help.

hey, u gone there yet!!..anyway here's my 2 cent worth of idea..

I made my way to Lhasa, from Kathmandu, Nepal, overland. That road trip is about 6 days, via a bus. I picked up an international travel group when i was in trekking Nepal. I would say it's really quite an experience, i got to meet a Brazilian who wears a Brazil football jersey all the way to the top , Irish gals wearing green, big rocky germans, ‘englished’ English and, of course, the crazy American that is trying to trying to get everyone killed by distributing the photo of Dalai lama to the kids in Tibet…

The ~20 of us were traveling in a big bus, 40 seater..it really amazing to see the bus traveling from 2000m to 5000m, with the driver and guide constantly monitoring the air pressure in the tires as it moves/crawls pass the rocky paths…since I wasn’t driving, I could sightsee, eat & sleep while on the move…the diversity in landscape will amaze you ….and you practically could experience 4 seasons in a day…the road trip is really worth all the pain….you will get to see forts that were ransack by the British and later again by the red army…Chinese army installation all over the plan…yes, you will see extreme practices (IMO) of Buddhism too….

When we reach Lhasa, what can I say, it Lhasa under the Chinese government, styled into Chinese government methodology…better go to Potala before they shut it down……

I made my return trip to Katmandu via flight, which I would recommend too. And make it a point to seat on the right window seat…because the plane will pass by Mount Everest on the left….and the pilot who flies pass it everyday will make the monotonous announces that ‘one the right, you will see the famous Mount Everest’!!!

on mountain sickness..ya..the fellow distributing photo was breathing from the oxygen tube for one of the day..after that..she was fine...

So….pack up…and enjoy….

Cheers….km
    Last edited by hawaii50; 15th March 2007 at 10:46 AM.

haha, hawaii50, you sure enjoyed and 'international buffet' of tourists in the bus.

Btw, crossing from Nepal to Lhasa, you were riding on a tourist bus? Is this kind of tourist services widely available in both Lhasa and Nepal? I'm keen to go Nepal since its pretty near Lhasa.

maybe, may I ask how much does it cost to rent a 4WDin Yunnam? And the total transport cost? I wonder if Lhasa has Gas station. Renting a car would be much more free and easy to explore the other exotic parts of Lhasa. Btw, does it allow car to cross international borders to Nepal?

I'm getting too ambitious...

Any tours require English speaking guides will command a premium and are specially catered for the ang mohs and you therefore also pay the ang moh prices. If you can communicate in Mandarin, I suggest you consider Mandarin speaking tours. Check out www.gogocn.com.