Thread: Ever develop photos outside the standard sizes?

Default Ever develop photos outside the standard sizes?

I've cropped some of my photos square, or panaroma, and they probably don't fit the standard 4R, 5R, etc sizes. If I send them for developing, what will happen? Can I tell the shop to develop a square photo?

Default Re: Ever develop photos outside the standard sizes?

of course u can, only u'll have to pay more .. i think ... pano format u mean .. 9:16? or what? ... cos some will refuse, or charge u exorbitant prices if the pixel aspect ratio is really weird

Normally i end up printing on the standard size then having the ends chopped off. So a 6x6 Square will need to be printed on a 6R (6x8) and then having one inch chopped off on each end. I still pay the prince of a 6R though.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

For odd sizes, what I will do is print it into one of the usual sizes like 8R or 10R. You get white borders on one of the sides. After that just ask the lab to cut it away for you.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    For odd sizes, what I will do is print it into one of the usual sizes like 8R or 10R. You get white borders on one of the sides. After that just ask the lab to cut it away for you.
    Does normal labs like Kodak or Fujifilm do the cutting for you? Do they charge for that too?

you can always fit a odd size into a standard size paper, like fit a 8" square into 8R paper, 6 pieces of 4" square into a 8R paper, 2 pieces of 4"x12" into a S8R paper etc.

than you can always trim it yourself, all you need is a NT cutter, steel ruler and a cutting mate.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Zhiliang View Post
    Does normal labs like Kodak or Fujifilm do the cutting for you? Do they charge for that too?
    Those that I patronise always cut it for free. It is not much of a trouble for them anyway. But when I'm in a hurry, I'll do it myself.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

crop with a view of multiples of the standard sizes..I like to crop my panoramas so that they print on two 4Rs side by side...or for squarer images 4R top and bottom...get an album with 4 landscape slots for best flexibility...