Thread: Largest print that can be made

Unhappy Largest print that can be made

What is the largest print that can be made using a 10.2 MP sensor raw image without degradation of image quality? Is the default size is better than 8X12 for any dSLR models
    ?

Default Re: Largest print that can be made

I've made decent 18x12 prints on a 8mp imagge before so yes I belive the 10.2 mp sensor can go bigger...
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Blog Entries

u talking abt native - as in, straight from the cam? i read in a book, as a rule of thumb, to find out the max print size straight fm cam, just divide the LxB by 200. 200 being the recommended (at least by the author) dpi for printing.

if u want to talk abt largest - technically, there's no limit, depending on ur PS skills. as long as u start going beyong ur native sizes, quality will drop. so, it's impossible not to have degradation. it is a matter of personal acceptability, others would say it is how close u want to view ur print.

I think that making a 18" width followed by x" length wouldn't be a problem.

I already have a 16X24 done in a 6.8MP RAW image

Thanks nightwolf75 for your index about the print size

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    I think that making a 18" width followed by x" length wouldn't be a problem.

I already have a 16X24 done in a 6.8MP RAW image
    Do you think if it still posible to blow it up to like 36"x24"??
    Dear All, my English not that power so if I offend anyone I apologies.

are u going to see the poster 0.5m away or 10m away???? 10m away make big big also cannot see diff..... unless u have telephoto eyes.....:P

Quote Originally Posted by limyouliang View Post
    are u going to see the poster 0.5m away or 10m away???? 10m away make big big also cannot see diff..... unless u have telephoto eyes.....:P
    hahaha.....telephoto eyes that will be power man.....

btw. you know those wedding photo size that hang above the bed one?? I don't know wat is the actual size lah so aga aga 36x24.

it depends on the sharpness of the image...I have made a 1.8m x 1.6m storefront image from a 4Mpixel DSLR...so the estimates in the thread above are only a guideline at best...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    it depends on the sharpness of the image...I have made a 1.8m x 1.6m storefront image from a 4Mpixel DSLR...so the estimates in the thread above are only a guideline at best...
    I was told that have to do some setting on the image before sending in for the print out. So care to share what are the setting that I need to do before sending it in. and which shop have provide good and cheap large printing service? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    I was told that have to do some setting on the image before sending in for the print out. So care to share what are the setting that I need to do before sending it in. and which shop have provide good and cheap large printing service? Thanks.
    what you can do if you need to blow up the size of the image is to either use a dedicated program like Genuine Fractals or use some general program like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to increase the image 10% at a time until you reach the required size...that is the standard procedure for some stock photo agencies for submissions...

also, before you print, you might want to sharpen the image some as these increases in size might reduce the sharpness...what I do is usually to zoom in at 100% of the image and then sharpen till it looks slightly over sharpened (halos just start to appear)...on print, that is usually good...

as for large print, how large are you thinking of?

what you can do if you need to blow up the size of the image is to either use a dedicated program like Genuine Fractals or use some general program like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to increase the image 10% at a time until you reach the required size...that is the standard procedure for some stock photo agencies for submissions...

also, before you print, you might want to sharpen the image some as these increases in size might reduce the sharpness...what I do is usually to zoom in at 100% of the image and then sharpen till it looks slightly over sharpened (halos just start to appear)...on print, that is usually good...

as for large print, how large are you thinking of?
    blow up to 48"x24". I don't understand, why have to do 10% at a time?
    Last edited by Bern; 12th February 2007 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    blow up to 48"x24". I don't understand, why have to do 10% at a time?
    its to minimize the effects of the image degrading each time the image is increased in size...sounds counter intuitive but I have tried it out and it works as compared to increasing one shot...give it a try and see for yourself...the difference is minimal for small upsizing but for larger ones can be quite noticeable

as for printing, if possible get your image printed by your regular printer or desktop printer to a small size (4R should do, or A4 for home printer) to your satisfaction in colour quality for colourproof and then let the large format printing firm adjust to match the colour proof...have not found any stand outs in terms of quality for printing firms but have got pretty good service so far from fotohub...

its to minimize the effects of the image degrading each time the image is increased in size...sounds counter intuitive but I have tried it out and it works as compared to increasing one shot...give it a try and see for yourself...the difference is minimal for small upsizing but for larger ones can be quite noticeable

as for printing, if possible get your image printed by your regular printer or desktop printer to a small size (4R should do, or A4 for home printer) to your satisfaction in colour quality for colourproof and then let the large format printing firm adjust to match the colour proof...have not found any stand outs in terms of quality for printing firms but have got pretty good service so far from fotohub...
    Thanks, will try it out..

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    u talking abt native - as in, straight from the cam? i read in a book, as a rule of thumb, to find out the max print size straight fm cam, just divide the LxB by 200. 200 being the recommended (at least by the author) dpi for printing.
    Correct me, but shouldn't it 250dpi (dots per inch) be the min? Unless you print using newsprint, where you use 300 dpl. (dots per line)