Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people bother to shoot events ?

Default Re: Why do people bother to shoot events ?

I don't usually go shoot at these events, unless I am being paid to do so. Honestly, I have better things to do other than trying to deal with the crowd and other inconsiderate photographers.

marcwang mentioned here, that "there isnt really much artistic value in those images". I agree totally, most of the time, sometimes if you are really lucky and get that one shot that is worth something or even putting it in a portfolio, but 9 out 10 times most of those shots aren't worth putting into a portfolio, but hey, the client wants them, so give them what you want.

Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by marcwang View Post
    While I beg to differ with regards to any lustful intentions, you hit the nail right smack in the middle of the head when u said they look geeky. I do ask my girlfriend when I see them and ask, am I that wierd to u ?
    If I gave the impression that they are lustful, then I apologise. I guess some of them are, as we are humans after all... but not all of them.

But having said that, what is wrong with being a little bit lustful? It's what makes the world go round. If men are not a bit lustful, we will become extinct. As long as we keep it healthy, don't commit any crime and have some respect for women, a bit of lust is ok. If we are married, then we should reserve our lust for just one person. We are not monks or catholic priests.

let's try not to think too much and focus solely on the point in photography instead. When I was young, I always think that nude photographers are all sex maniac and people who shoot girls in bikinis all have ulterior motives...but if u see it in the point of photography and art, then everything becomes more righteous.

I guess nowadays photogs are very confined to what their environment can offers them to shoot in. when I first started shooting, I too was confined to a point where I simply cannot find anything interesting to expose my film to...and during our time, a roll of good print or slides is a lot to us and learning photography is an expensive investment. The more we shoot, the more we spend. Hence beginners will always be seeking worthwhile subjects to take.

I remember I've taken almost all the places of interest, shopping malls, friends, relatives, animals etc. But my main interest is mostly nature, hence trees and soil become the most commonly exposed picture in my slides.

If u are into portriatures, then there will also be a time where all your GFs, BFs, kids of friends and relatives will start shunning u. Also u often end up spending more on enlargements for your models to compensate their time and to show off your skills. That is why I can understand why photogs nowadays "unleashes" all their gears and rush to any events that they can get their hands on. Back in our time product and events launches are often scarce if not big. And superstars rarely comes to SG as what Taiwanese President Ah Bian says - no bigger than a piece of nose wax.

Hence down the road we will see seniors photogs saving up, going aboard to shoot instead. At least many of their views worth more velvia than our sunny island.

Then digital came in, and photogs beginners and learning curve dropped since we are more or less PC literate while some are graphic savvy to compliment digital photography. Cost per frame suddenly drop to a new low pricing and even with that u get to choose what u want to print and what not to. In film time, good or no good u still have to pay to see them. Once u decide its junk there is still a cost associated with it. Digital does makes learning and wastages goes down and that opens up to a bigger area for shooting. After all photography is about shooting. No one gets to learn by staring at your photo gears.

Hence u see digital photog make use of every possible opportunities to let the shutter click and sensors working, filling up their HDD to polish up their skills.

As for the more branded gears, I couldn't judge much but I would say if u are sure that u are serious in photography and can afford, getting the best u can now will save u much much more $$$ in the future. Simply because u know u will out grown your gear sooner or later.

People at our time take one step at a time. I was shooting for almost a decade before I start buying gitzos and finally realised the italian folks didn't make a better tripod than the french. I first use a bogen and then move on to slik, more bogens then finally to gitzo then its gitzo all the way. Imagine how much I've lost out if I have gotten a gitzo at that time. And my 2nd gitzo is still with me until today.

Nevertheless people like us took up photography during our non-working days hence funding photography can be really expensive because without an income, anything requires a long time of savings and that may or may not, impedite your learning process. I don't suppose many photogs here have to save up a week or even a month in order to get a roll of film and even if u have exposes them, u have to wait for another week or so to save up in order to pay for the development costs.

There is, however, a trend of over-relying on gears for photography then skills - be it PC or photography skills. And that have a lot to do with the trend and technology. Getting into photography has never been easier. In my younger days, if u own a seagull or a SLR, u are already deemed to be a photographer of certain standard....nowadays owing a SLR becomes a basic thing for many families. And there is a trend among photogs nowadays that owing the best gears means that your skill must be good.

I recall some years back I was shooting for a company D&D, one of the directors was also a Canon photo hobbyist and he came to me asking why am I using only a 420EX instead of a 550EX. I told him a 420EX is enough for my subject distance since I'm just under the stage or around tables and I don't want to add on to unnecessary weight since I already have 8 batteries under my 1vHS and my f2.8 lens is slowing me down considerably already.

My point is I don't need such a big guide number flash moreover portriat shoots require a bigger aperature and preferably without any flash hence getting so "flashed up" is never the effect I want on my subject faces. I would rather run around lighter and faster to capture my subjects in the right angle and right time.

So how photog uses their gear alot depends on their learning environment, era, technology as well as the equipment available to them And there is nothing seriously right or wrong about it. If I can get a award winning shot by soaking my slides in soy sauce, I will try too, and its just generation gaps.
    Last edited by Maltese; 10th February 2007 at 02:35 PM.

You don't have to give the impression, you know who are the ones who are there other than to get material for their nocturnal bedroom activities.

Just as an example. how many CS shooters do you see trying to sneak into the Fashion Festival Triumph Lingerie Show every year??? There always seems to be alot more people carrying cameras hanging outside the tent and near the shooting area, if they were lucky enough to get in, when that particular show is scehduled.

I have even heard some photographers from here make some uncalled for remarks at some events, which I thought was very unprofessional, downright low class and crude.

Got gun, got target. Why not shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    I can understand why some people may want to learn how to shoot these events, just to widen the scope of his/her photographic skills... But if you notice, the same people go to these events over and over. If there was anything to be learned, they would have mastered it already. If not, then it's a lost cause. Which leads me to think that they are not there to learn anything.

These people have a certain look about them. Usually, I don't notice them... but my wife pointed it out to me once, and then it became quite apparent. They have a certain geeky look about them. I say this at the risk of being flamed... but I'm just trying to describe it as accurately as I can, and the purpose is not to offend anyone.

What I think is... these people have a problem expressing themselves under normal circumstance. These events offer them an opportunity to get close to women (who are generally better looking since they are models) and take images of them. Sometimes, it gives them the opportunity to get close to them by offering to take their pictures... Without their cameras, this would have been inconceivable.

Why big guns? With big guns, they can get closer visually.

I think there is nothing bad about it. Teenages go to concerts to scream at their idols... It gives them a rush... and if they like it, who are we to say anything? It may sound a bit sad, but we are all sad in certain ways. Some of us are video game adicts... some of us smoke/drink too much... In comparison, taking pictures of women at events seems quite harmless.
    reminds me of a deity...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Me wondering... if they are any different from people that go for paid model shoot, as in paying for it?

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    I always wondered abt ppl bouncing flash when:
    1) No ceiling
    2) Point to the sky
    3) Ceiling too high
    4) Glass ceiling
    5) Black ceiling

and above all... NO BOUNCE CARD!!!!

Do these ppl know what they are doing in the first place?

aiyoh... just last week was covering a fashion event and one big buah-long-long of pple bouncing flash off of a green ceiling!! some of them look at me like i siao, use direct flash, like got no class like that.
    Last edited by bowwow; 10th February 2007 at 04:16 PM.

Coz events are 1 of the easiest to shoot. Some more all are free, dun need to pay any fee for models.

Dun need to set up lights, dun need to look for pretty subjects, dun even need to interact with your subjects. Just stand in 1 spot, aim, fire away, can already.

A high % of the photos will come out correctly exposed, with 3D lightings, of coz very satisfied la...

See so pretty fotos from my equipment, of coz worth it. Why waste my equipment in the dry cabi?

Some more I stand in 1 row with the rest, other pple will sure to drool at the equipment we have, can upz my ego also...

Last edited by AReality; 10th February 2007 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper View Post
    You don't have to give the impression, you know who are the ones who are there other than to get material for their nocturnal bedroom activities.

Just as an example. how many CS shooters do you see trying to sneak into the Fashion Festival Triumph Lingerie Show every year??? There always seems to be alot more people carrying cameras hanging outside the tent and near the shooting area, if they were lucky enough to get in, when that particular show is scehduled.

I have even heard some photographers from here make some uncalled for remarks at some events, which I thought was very unprofessional, downright low class and crude.
    This one different story altogether. I will bring my camera.

We must understand that there are no seven wonders of the world in Singapore. Hence people shoot events like they are the Eight Wonder.

Don't like people to shoot events? Easy. Build the seven wonders of the world in Santosa Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    We must understand that there are no seven wonders of the world in Singapore. Hence people shoot events like they are the Eight Wonder.

Don't like people to shoot events? Easy. Build the seven wonders of the world in Santosa Island.

jus dun use sand!

Quote Originally Posted by jesser View Post
    ever saw one with 300mm lens.....no flash......indoor.........handheld...........
    ALL HAIL THE LORD!

Quote Originally Posted by bowwow View Post
    aiyoh... just last week was covering a fashion event and one big buah-long-long of pple bouncing flash off of a green ceiling!! some of them look at me like i siao, use direct flash, like got no class like that.
    The Incredible Hulks are marching along the aisle....

Well, if one knows what they are doing, there ain't no shame in using direct flash. I personally prefer bounce card, over direct/stofened flash. Its all a matter of preference.

Still.... GREEN ceiling? Hmm.... I occasionally do forget to look up. But I rarely do events these days, pretty taxing.

Everytime there is an event, be it a small scale fashion show, or a autograph signing session by channel u, or NTUC fairprice launch a new product, there will be a huge group of amateurs lugging their huge lenses, some with ladders, some with fancy flash gun mounts, some with SBO, some with flash pointing skywards when there is no ceiling crowding in front of the stage wacking 3 frames per second. Sometimes these events only got photographers, no people watching. I mean, seriously, why bother ?
    why point upwards? becourse the first shot taken was over expose, so he thought by doing this, will get it right( lame)... shoot 3 frames? the first 2 cant make it lor...

anyway, they brought their gears, its theirs for the killing...whether u like it or not, its got nothing to do with you lor, just like you prefer to shoot somethings else...

by the way, wanta try it? its not as easy to shoot a nice pic there as u think too..but the ladder thingie is rrrrrr a little too much too me...unless the organser pay me, the photos still bring no $$$ back... But what the heck, to get a good photo, every photographer will try anything to get it...so RC shooters never gave up till their photo is prefect...

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    ALL HAIL THE LORD!
    comfirm one thing..sure pass IPPT pull up..haha

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    Got gun, got target. Why not shoot?
    got time, got gun, got target, free
    , why not shoot?

who cares, so long as they dun block the official guy.

Makes me highly amused most of the time.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

All of the above plus a 70-200mmf2.8VR and L bracket, plus standing on a ladder, plus a carbon gitzo monopod, plus a lowepro haversack, plus wearing Nikon Vest. Damn cool. Some of them have the condom looking flash attachment. Thats even more cool.

Sometimes, I wanna walk over and ask them to teach me , or ask them which agency they are representing.

I would imagine them scouring the newspaper every weekend to look out for events, go shoot the events, come back home, wife black face, then edit each and every raw file over dinner, upload to their photo gallery, make 2 DVDs backups and then post on CS and be extremely defensive over comments.

Okay. I admit I'm just being mean. Its good practice really.

AAhhh... sorry... just a boring saturday afternoon. I think I've watched too much of Jeremy CLarkson recently.
    i ever come across some who arrive at event venues like 3-4 hours before they begin ... no not those superstar events, just some not so well known stunt and dance performance which attract passerby to stop for a moment once in a while

use to do coverage for grassroot events, it's quite sickening actually for that i think those who find joy in photographing events are quite remarkable in some ways i cannot appreciate at all
    Last edited by eikin; 11th February 2007 at 10:05 PM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast