Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4912131415 LastLast

Thread: Why do people bother to shoot events ?

Default Re: Why do people bother to shoot events ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    Case in point, if this was an event filled with nothing but male models... with no cleavage, no breasts, and not a hint of sexuality. Would you honestly be so passionate to be there to shoot? Now imagine you are given an opportunity to shoot a lingerie runway show... Which event would attract more photographers? In fact, for a mixed show, one can almost get blinded bythe amount of flash power when female models are on stage. Even more so if the outfits are semi translucent but strangely enough, when the male models come on stage, you look around and realise everyone is either chimping or chatting and not shooting.
    Well said.
    This is excatly my thought in mind but have problem expressing it out.

Are we done withis dead horse yet or is someone going to continue flogging it?

All this asinine back and forth with both sides of the camp insisting that they have the moral high ground is getting abit dry.

To be fair, if you want, hey, feel free to shoot and be there to add that element of glamour of flash guns going off like a mini lightning storm. I dont see any harm there but on the flip side, one should not justify his intentions behind shooting at such events.

Case in point, if this was an event filled with nothing but male models... with no cleavage, no breasts, and not a hint of sexuality. Would you honestly be so passionate to be there to shoot? Now imagine you are given an opportunity to shoot a lingerie runway show... Which event would attract more photographers? In fact, for a mixed show, one can almost get blinded bythe amount of flash power when female models are on stage. Even more so if the outfits are semi translucent but strangely enough, when the male models come on stage, you look around and realise everyone is either chimping or chatting and not shooting.

Sure, there will be a few who are truly altruistic and i do applaud these photogs but we all know the reason for the rest. The key here is not to delude ourselves or kid ourselves that we are shooting for anything else other than to satisfy our own reasons.

In the end, if you can live with it, then hey, go ahead. For the rest of us, let us not be too judgemental... it could be a phase, or it could simply be a reflection of the photog's psyche. Either way, it's their life and they can do what they want to.
    strangely i hardly see any ppl organizing shoots for male models too. i don't see why event shooters hv to be singled out. and i don't think they should be judged for that as well. let them shoot what they want. we are all shooting for nothing else other than to satisfy our own reasons.

btw i shoot animals definitely nothing sexual about that

1.30am still talking about this?

Quote Originally Posted by direwuff View Post
    we are all shooting for nothing else other than to satisfy our own reasons.
    Some talk about satisfy,some talk about Passion.
    It really takes female to have the "drive".
    Haha...way off topic liao.

Well, I think many of us, myself included, are just stating our views and thoughts about certain genre of photogs, which I had purposely stated right from the begiining, as my own biased view points. Perhaps, many participants here did not articulate this across, but I would assume many are doing so likewise.

It's funny why some people tend to take other person's view points personally. Someone did tell us not to impose our own ideas onto others. I don't think many are doing so here. Thus, by criticising people when they state their own view (negaitive) points abt some of these photogs, isn't this tantamount to trying to impose your own values on others?

The funny things is, when people state their negative views about some of these photogs, why would others say that they are anti-eventgelist? Such mentality is prevalent in local discussion forums, when someone's views is different from oneself, that person is being viewed as an opposition to oneself, and that person becomes duty bound to defend his/her own views vehemently and taking the opposite views as a personal attack.

Can't we just agree to disagree, and see where others are coming from, and perhaps learn to understand and empathise with the the others?

Hey, in this world, things are not just black or white, 1 or 0, even if we living in a digital age, ya know?

I dunno about you guys but I tend to make alot of friends who hold different views and values from myself, and I'm proud to have them as my friends, cos they open up many other dimensions to my miniscule world and widen my horizon.

Chill guys! Come one, learn to agree to disagree ok?

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    1.30am still talking about this?
    1.30am still haven't sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81 View Post
    don't know why can't sleep. looking for really boring things to read. hope after reading all this sure can fall asleep.

don't know why can't sleep. looking for really boring things to read. hope after reading all this sure can fall asleep.
    I'm sure you will

Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81 View Post

So now 4.30am...you both sleeping?

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    PC show round the concer...let see what happen...
    What will happen?

Pro Anti-Eventgelists clash with Anti Anti-Eventgelist protesters with banners and ladders fall?

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    The funny things is, when people state their negative views about some of these photogs, why would others say that they are anti-eventgelist? Such mentality is prevalent in local discussion forums, when someone's views is different from oneself, that person is being viewed as an opposition to oneself, and that person becomes duty bound to defend his/her own views vehemently and taking the opposite views as a personal attack.
    If you tell me who calls you "Anti-Eventgelist", Lim Peh Chut Tao for you.

Are we done withis dead horse yet or is someone going to continue flogging it?

All this asinine back and forth with both sides of the camp insisting that they have the moral high ground is getting abit dry.

To be fair, if you want, hey, feel free to shoot and be there to add that element of glamour of flash guns going off like a mini lightning storm. I dont see any harm there but on the flip side, one should not justify his intentions behind shooting at such events.

Sure, there will be a few who are truly altruistic and i do applaud these photogs but we all know the reason for the rest. The key here is not to delude ourselves or kid ourselves that we are shooting for anything else other than to satisfy our own reasons.

In the end, if you can live with it, then hey, go ahead. For the rest of us, let us not be too judgemental... it could be a phase, or it could simply be a reflection of the photog's psyche. Either way, it's their life and they can do what they want to.
    events with cute animals and kids also very nice to shoot one, u know?

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    PC show round the concer...let see what happen...
    people will bring ladders there to shoot ?

Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    The person who thinks like the above is a fool.

H. Don't be surprised when those wannabees break your ricebowl later on.

This could be very true. I think some of the negatives comments posted about event photograghers are the "sour grapes" kind who dare not join in and shoot events themselves.

OR

some are just worried their trade will be mastered by others and thus affecting their rice bowls.

No offence to professional event photographers.... but remember that before you became a professional, you were just like any of the wannabees shooting at events enthusiastically for free brushing up your skills then.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    events with cute animals and kids also very nice to shoot one, u know?
    That time I went SKC dog show not many people there leh =p Looks like i'm alone in there =p So many 'good looking' models all nude too. I guess the $6 entry price put alot of people off
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

shoot shoot shoot!!!

and post post post!!!

and slam slam slam!!!

else CS will be damn boring!!!

Re: Why do people bother to shoot events ?

Though not a regular shooter, I did shoot a couple events myself. Apart from events, I also try other kinds of photography such as macro, buildings, portraits etc

Event photography taught me a few things that's possibly not as evident in other kinds of photography. Especially through events, I have learnt things such as:

1. Importance of quick exposure changes to cater to dynamic lighting conditions
    2. White balance control to suit the artificial stage lightings (sometimes dynamic)
    3. autofocus tracking techniques on moving subjects
    4. using different flash techniques to cater to events which are often in poor lighting
    5. Anticipating for that right moment to capture

Through events especially, I am now more well-versed and can manipulate my camera controls faster. I am forced to learn and understand white balance as well as how we should anticipate subjects movement and use our autofocus accordingly.

These are just some of the key things that I have learnt. No, it doesnt mean shooting events necessarily mean artistic outputs. It helps one especially newbies to be more adept with changing conditions and their cameras. Technicalities are part of the key basic foundation for good pictures.

I like going events.. i like seeing beautiful faces, i try to capture them in the midst of the most exciting moments. The models and celebrities worked very hard on stage for their performances and all I want is to capture the hard work and appreciate the art that they are trying to showcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    If you tell me who calls you "Anti-Eventgelist", Lim Peh Chut Tao for you.

Haha, not me la, I'm just saying that this terminology cropped in the discussion la, that I think that if someone dun like the idea of something, it shouldn't be anti this or anti that.

Thanks for your offer anyway, and next time I run into trouble, I'll definitely ask you to chut tao for me ok?

Quite an amazingly long thread with some heated points being made. Reality is that if there is a supply, then there is a demand. I have nothing against hobbyist shooting events... only when they start making a nuisance of themselves to the general public.

Also, why impose moral values to others? It's natural male instinct to have a affinity for the female human forms. ANd what of the female photographers (few, though they may be) doing these events.... If this was anywhere else, the stereotype of a "dirty old man" photographer would probably not get this much attention. Case in point, the recent TV advert even had a typical "dirty old man" shooting in a studio. This versus the "dirty old man" photographer, Austin Powers, who is done with good humour. So why do we laugh at virile Austin Powers but associate that local advert with the typical dirty old man.

Could it be years of being in straight laced Singapore, has in fact cultivated a sort of anti-freedom of expression whereby everything someone does is viewed with a "moral filter". If so, whose "moral filter" are we using. Short of understanding the typical event photographer, we would be in the danger of stereotyping this kind of photography. The general public might get the idea that anyone with heavy gear, a geeky look and not making money out of photography would be shooting with a negative moral value and be socially inept... ever wonder why street photography is hard to do in Spore but not in Japan or Hong Kong??

I like to photograph birds in the wild. Typically, I lug around several long lens, with a tripod, safari hat, sunglasses, insect repellent, Goretex boots, etc, etc... a lot of expensive gear too. Heck, some even buy SUVs or 4x4 to go over rough terrain in the jungle to shoot birds. I too, shoot with a passion without the idea of making money, to me its a hobby. I can shoot a Storkbilled Kingfisher over and over again and not get tired. The challenge to get consistently good shots is known to me as well as fellow birders. However, we do not get this kind of post about birders because, majority deem shooting birds to be morally neutral. However, for event hobbyist photographers, must we label them as this thread did?

Another case in point, I was at Spore Botanic Gardens composing a shot for an elusive bittern (a kind of bird). Singaporeans would walk pass and produce a "Tsk tsk" sound and give me the, "why bother" look. Then there was this British couple who stopped in their tracks and spoke in whispers, afraid that the mere noise they made would break my concentration. They made comments like "... such dedication... ....look at the concentration...". So I stopped and chatted with them and they asked me what was I shooting. I kinda ended up talking about some of the great bird species they can find in the Singapore Botanic Gradens. Eventually, I got my shot and went home a happy man.

I had a chance to speak to some of these event hobbyist folks. I would say that some of them are quite dedicated to their craft, married with family and do take good shots. Even knew of one who used medium format to do this kind of shoots. Of course, some are driven by the male hormone in them, but I would not be so quick as to pass my judgement on all of them.
    Last edited by Zplus; 14th February 2007 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks for all the comment.

Thread closed as today is Valentine's Day

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4912131415 LastLast