Page 1 of 15 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people bother to shoot events ?

Default Why do people bother to shoot events ?

Everytime there is an event, be it a small scale fashion show, or a autograph signing session by channel u, or NTUC fairprice launch a new product, there will be a huge group of amateurs lugging their huge lenses, some with ladders, some with fancy flash gun mounts, some with SBO, some with flash pointing skywards when there is no ceiling crowding in front of the stage wacking 3 frames per second. Sometimes these events only got photographers, no people watching. I mean, seriously, why bother ?

Default Re: Why do people bother to shoot events ?

Aiyah..its a reason to bring out the big guns maa...

Account Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by BraveHart View Post
    Aiyah..its a reason to bring out the big guns maa...
    GHOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marcwang View Post
    Everytime there is an event, be it a small scale fashion show, or a autograph signing session by channel u, or NTUC fairprice launch a new product, there will be a huge group of amateurs lugging their huge lenses, some with ladders, some with fancy flash gun mounts, some with SBO, some with flash pointing skywards when there is no ceiling crowding in front of the stage wacking 3 frames per second. Sometimes these events only got photographers, no people watching. I mean, seriously, why bother ?
    Good question
    I wish to know the answer too since I seen it before

I always wondered abt ppl bouncing flash when:
    1) No ceiling
    2) Point to the sky
    3) Ceiling too high
    4) Glass ceiling
    5) Black ceiling

and above all... NO BOUNCE CARD!!!!

Do these ppl know what they are doing in the first place?

If only you can get inside the heads of these photographers you'll realise how much it means to them to shoot events.

It's just too deep to explain to an outsider.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    I always wondered abt ppl bouncing flash when:
    1) No ceiling
    2) Point to the sky
    3) Ceiling too high
    4) Glass ceiling
    5) Black ceiling

and above all... NO BOUNCE CARD!!!!

Do these ppl know what they are doing in the first place?
    All of the above plus a 70-200mmf2.8VR and L bracket, plus standing on a ladder, plus a carbon gitzo monopod, plus a lowepro haversack, plus wearing Nikon Vest. Damn cool. Some of them have the condom looking flash attachment. Thats even more cool.

Sometimes, I wanna walk over and ask them to teach me , or ask them which agency they are representing.

I would imagine them scouring the newspaper every weekend to look out for events, go shoot the events, come back home, wife black face, then edit each and every raw file over dinner, upload to their photo gallery, make 2 DVDs backups and then post on CS and be extremely defensive over comments.

Okay. I admit I'm just being mean. Its good practice really.

AAhhh... sorry... just a boring saturday afternoon. I think I've watched too much of Jeremy CLarkson recently.
    Last edited by marcwang; 10th February 2007 at 01:10 PM.

the same reason as to why some shoot birds, some shoot landscapes, some do macro photography.

different areas of interest.

different ppl, different preferences, different strokes.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

ever saw one with 300mm lens.....no flash......indoor.........handheld...........

It gives them a great sense of satisfaction pursuing their passion esp when its unpaid.

HUH?

i always thot that they are hired to go there to pose and make the event look important..

Isnt it so?

i don't get it also, but the way you describe it, actually makes it sound kinda fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    If only you can get inside the heads of these photographers you'll realise how much it means to them to shoot events.

It's just too deep to explain to an outsider.

wah i like this answer

I can understand why some people may want to learn how to shoot these events, just to widen the scope of his/her photographic skills... But if you notice, the same people go to these events over and over. If there was anything to be learned, they would have mastered it already. If not, then it's a lost cause. Which leads me to think that they are not there to learn anything.

These people have a certain look about them. Usually, I don't notice them... but my wife pointed it out to me once, and then it became quite apparent. They have a certain geeky look about them. I say this at the risk of being flamed... but I'm just trying to describe it as accurately as I can, and the purpose is not to offend anyone.

What I think is... these people have a problem expressing themselves under normal circumstance. These events offer them an opportunity to get close to women (who are generally better looking since they are models) and take images of them. Sometimes, it gives them the opportunity to get close to them by offering to take their pictures... Without their cameras, this would have been inconceivable.

Why big guns? With big guns, they can get closer visually.

I think there is nothing bad about it. Teenages go to concerts to scream at their idols... It gives them a rush... and if they like it, who are we to say anything? It may sound a bit sad, but we are all sad in certain ways. Some of us are video game adicts... some of us smoke/drink too much... In comparison, taking pictures of women at events seems quite harmless.

Actually, to be honest, its great practice for those who would like to do paid event photography work. But practice aside, there isnt really much artistic value in those images.

I used to take people playing soccer, cricket etc, just to try my hand at it. These images can be added to your portfolio also.

Always wondering abt that as well, a bit crazy wasting ya time for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    I can understand why some people may want to learn how to shoot these events, just to widen the scope of his/her photographic skills... But if you notice, the same people go to these events over and over. If there was anything to be learned, they would have mastered it already. If not, then it's a lost cause. Which leads me to think that they are not there to learn anything.

These people have a certain look about them. Usually, I don't notice them... but my wife pointed it out to me once, and then it became quite apparent. They have a certain geeky look about them. I say this at the risk of being flamed... but I'm just trying to describe it as accurately as I can, and the purpose is not to offend anyone.

What I think is... these people have a problem expressing themselves under normal circumstance. These events offer them an opportunity to get close to women (who are generally better looking since they are models) and take images of them. Sometimes, it gives them the opportunity to get close to them by offering to take their pictures... Without their cameras, this would have been inconceivable.

Why big guns? With big guns, they can get closer visually.

I think there is nothing bad about it. Teenages go to concerts to scream at their idols... It gives them a rush... and if they like it, who are we to say anything? It may sound a bit sad, but we are all sad in certain ways. Some of us are video game adicts... some of us smoke/drink too much... In comparison, taking pictures of women at events seems quite harmless.
    While I beg to differ with regards to any lustful intentions, you hit the nail right smack in the middle of the head when u said they look geeky. I do ask my girlfriend when I see them and ask, am I that wierd to u ?

i seem this at many event n promotion etc....guess is a good place n time to pratice n learn the cam setting, skill etc....after is a hobby right, dont think is wrong...am not one of them cos i do not have bright len and proper flash to shoot this and also ..... i dont know how to shoot pple.

but be considerate for the rest of the pple that watch the show/event...saw some1 with a ladder infront with 70-200 (or mayb better) if m not wrong...oya, GF hold another lens n stand bside with backpack some more....

I dont usualy go shoot these things. I guess people go there either to show of equipment or to hone portrature skills? Its like free for all models hehe..
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    i don't get it also, but the way you describe it, actually makes it sound kinda fun.
    this ans really very cute....

Page 1 of 15 123611 ... LastLast