Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 124

Thread: What JCs are best?

  1. #81

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by mercurial_streak View Post
    Offering my COMPLETELY BIASED pov, VJ has veri veri strong sch spirit (all the cheering n all).
    If u r interested in research, VJ has the necessary research facilites tt r quite new.
    Upon comparison wif my frens frm other jcs, it seems easier to qualify for studying 's' paper (they have some equivalent for new syllabus). Other sch require u to do veri veri well during promos jus to qualify to study for them while my teacher simply encourage me to go for ANY 's' paper lects to c if i can cope.
    We were also given quite large degree of freedom. I noe other jcs where lecturers take attendance for every single lect. Doesnt happen in vj.

    Choosin a top 5 jc has lesser known advantages. (For e.g., it S.E.E.M.S to be easier to be allocated into a "welfare" company in bmtc phase of the army if u r frm some top jcs).
    Of cos, networking is veri impt (whether u like it or not), for u will c the same batch of pple everywhere, in army, in uni, at work, etc. Do consider how these factors wld affect u.

    Whether u like it or not, where u r schooled will be a badge which pple will scrutinise
    I'll have to disagree with that. Especially with the bold RED print.
    Maybe if we are talking about NUS vs Harvard vs University of unrecognised degree. But for JC...I'm sorry to burst this bubble. JC dun matter thaaaat much.

    What you wear as your badge is really what's inside of you. Your values, principles, attitude and outlook towards life. Its when these basic fundamentals shine or pale...that school matters.
    "Oh he's from VJC...can see la. The Can-do spirit and the cheering."
    "That chao slacker...which school he from? VJ? Cannot be rite...I tot that school pple all very good one"

    Of course if you want to argue that the top-5 JCs have better system to train leaders or to build this attitude...than can argue until cows go home.

    So what if you're from VJC? If you cannot perform in your job function, you are but another useless employee. You could jus be riding on the coat-tail of supposedly being in a top-5 JC. Then there's "Tan" from SRJC...works brilliant, gets the results I need.
    "What JC was he again? Cannot remember la...but he is UK scholar leh."

    In the army...you'll find that the coolest heads come from the poly guys. Why? Cause they've been in sh!t situations which JC kids haven't. But the JC fellas do catch on after a while. JC is really a bubble. Try to step out of it and see what's real in this world.

    The good news is that NS and uni-life will expose the JC bubble. Hmm...I guess I'm spoiling the fun telling you guys this. HA!

    Cheers Eu
    Last edited by eunene; 11th February 2007 at 09:38 PM.

  2. #82

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
    nightmare, you've hit the nail on the head...I have a tendency to "overthink" or "overplan" alot of stuff, so I always suffer when it comes to decisions
    well there is no right or wrong, really

    in the end even if you think you made the wrong decision, there's no point crying over split milk; so learn from it, but never look back is what i would say

    it's always on hindsight =D

    definitely what some people here have said is pretty true though, if you're aiming for a scholarship (heck care elites or what, please - there are snobs in every school if you're talking about THAT sort of elite) the top 5 jc's tag, in particular rj, hc i would say, is a big bonus for any board. of course, even if you come from there and can't speak without stuttering when it comes to the crunch, counts for diddly squat =D

  3. #83

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Methinks Euene has the best point to make here... I dread the thought of working life

  4. #84

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by eunene View Post
    What you wear as your badge is really what's inside of you. Your values, principles, attitude and outlook towards life. Its when these basic fundamentals shine or pale...that school matters.
    "Oh he's from VJC...can see la. The Can-do spirit and the cheering."
    "That chao slacker...which school he from? VJ? Cannot be rite...I tot that school pple all very good one"

    Of course if you want to argue that the top-5 JCs have better system to train leaders or to build this attitude...than can argue until cows go home.

    So what if you're from VJC? If you cannot perform in your job function, you are but another useless employee. You could jus be riding on the coat-tail of supposedly being in a top-5 JC. Then there's "Tan" from SRJC...works brilliant, gets the results I need.
    "What JC was he again? Cannot remember la...but he is UK scholar leh."
    well, an over-generalising statement

    not all poly dudes are cool-headed, for one
    and not all jc dudes are little sheltered boys =D

    but anyways, there is some truth in what you say and i have to agree
    image-wise, rj and hc do have a very strong tagline when it comes to scholarships though, especially when you're talking about the bigger names like psc or a*star - the works

    in the long run, definitely work performance and attitude would matter, but how do you put it? this does give you a mini-start, which cannot be dismissed as not being advantageous =)

  5. #85

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
    Methinks Euene has the best point to make here... I dread the thought of working life
    It ain't all bad.

    "People management" is very important though. You can start picking it up in JC, NS and Uni-life. You meet all sorts. Observe people and their behaviour. As they say, the best chracter test comes "when no one is looking"...look around and observe these things. I think with your camera trained eye, it shouldn't be too difficult. In your quiet moments, spend a bit of time reflecting on your reactions to people and how you can improve them. And the next time the situation crops up, you're better prepared.

    if I could sum it up...
    Student = No money, plenty time.
    Working = No time, plenty money.

    But I think you got a skill...photography. Use it well. =)

    Cheers
    Eu.

  6. #86

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, an over-generalising statement

    not all poly dudes are cool-headed, for one
    and not all jc dudes are little sheltered boys =D

    but anyways, there is some truth in what you say and i have to agree
    image-wise, rj and hc do have a very strong tagline when it comes to scholarships though, especially when you're talking about the bigger names like psc or a*star - the works

    in the long run, definitely work performance and attitude would matter, but how do you put it? this does give you a mini-start, which cannot be dismissed as not being advantageous =)
    "Mini-start." Hahaha!!! Nice way to put it..
    Yea...ok you made good point there. Slight advantage...'mini-advantage'.

    mini-start... <chuckle>

  7. #87

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    SAJC!!! my alma mater!!! hahaha. i got 9 points, and i travelled from sg to alexandra, which takes abt an hr, everytime. but i went cos i really wanted to be part of sa culture, and tho i didnt do too well, i didnt regret the things i got to do there. :]

    at the end of the day, whereever you are, tho envt and good teachers are impt, it's up to YOU to decide where it's best for you. make the best of it. you can do well anywhere, like tripleA, as long as you're willing to do what it takes. just make you sure you nv regret your decisions, and dont consider the could-haves, the would-haves, and should-haves and make the best of what you chose for yourself.

    it's your life. 2 years in jc! congrats, and good luck! :]

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    3,319

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
    I'm currently in NYJC, and I'm pretty happy here, just that my parents would like me to go to a better JC. So any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Hi Vector1,

    Congrats on your raw 8 result. I was from NYJC 18 years ago. After reading some of the postings and advice that you have been given, I feel that I need to share with you my personal experience in my short 2 years in NYJC.

    To begin, the 2 years in JC was the happiest in my study school life. Glad to know that you enjoyed your first 3 months too. Infact, my first 3 months was the deciding factor that I stayed on in JC and did the university route. After my O-levels, before my results came out, I had all along wanting to go to poly. But the short 2 months in NYJC changed that. I wasn't a very bright student then, so, top JCs were all out of question for me. I stayed in NYJC because I like the life there and I believe I could make it to the university. I stayed in Siglap at that time and every morning, I took the 6:05am 197&31 and changed to the 135 bus from the bus-stop outside mandrain gardens to get to NYJC by 7:30am. Many times I were late, but I was still a happy boy. You are much luckier than me, 5min to school.

    Honestly speaking, which ever JC doesn't matter. what matters most is what you want to do in your life. The school might be a place to mould your character and thinking, but you need to have your own goals and dream to make it in life.

    I understand your parents want you to go to good school. I would like my boys to go to top school as well, my wife even suggested me to join my primary alumni now where my boy is only 2 years old. Having said that, what matters most is you, yourself, at 16, capable to make your own decision, to draw your own destiny, where do you want to go. If you are happy at NYJC, you like the life and system there and very sure you will do well and get where you want to, why don't you give yourself a chance.

    I do have some friends from top JCs, top overseas universities, who did well in school and uni but screwed up their lifes. Getting to top schools doesn't gurrantee you happiness and success in life. Likewise, getting top grades doesn't mean anything once you step out into the working world. (Unless you work for the government or you are under scholarship).

    You may check out other JCs about their facilities and environment and check with fellow friends how life is there. When it comes to making a decision, you need to ask yourself, what is important. NYJC do have very caring and knowledgable teachers (my times), I am sure they still do have now. Whether you will get good grades for your A-levels, or whether you get into uni, it all depends on yourself, not the school. Although I didn't get fantastic grades for my A-levels (attribute to too much fun I had, not spending enough time on my books, nothing to do with the school), I still managed to get into the course I wanted in NUS and graduated.

    Work hard and good luck for your future...

    Regards,
    Chiif

  9. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    nah, same destination but the route taken is different, and it certainly makes a difference in ur life and the type of character that u turn out from these education crossroads, be it from pri to sec or sec to jc, poly, ite, or jc,poly,ite to uni, or uni to masters to phd.

    all of the education phase is a entirely different experience and even after u graduate, u will be glad that u have a wide network of friends that u can make use of in ur work. And of course having said this, going to RJC is the best because most of the people in RJC are going to graduate in flying colours and hold high company positions in the future. Who knows? they might be ur future boss or ur future major client.
    bullsh*t. It is really up to you how you determine your future. If your life and experiences is determined by the route of our education system then GOD HELP US ALL.

    Anyway, end of the day you guys are gonna take the same exam paper to decide which uni you're going to. And in the end, what's the degree for? A passport to get a job. Afterwards, is the degree gonna matter in your subsequent life decisions? Less and less so.

    Speaking about which, I better get my ass up or my 'passport' is gonna be pretty limited.

  10. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by eunene View Post
    I'll have to disagree with that. Especially with the bold RED print.
    Maybe if we are talking about NUS vs Harvard vs University of unrecognised degree. But for JC...I'm sorry to burst this bubble. JC dun matter thaaaat much.

    What you wear as your badge is really what's inside of you. Your values, principles, attitude and outlook towards life. Its when these basic fundamentals shine or pale...that school matters.
    "Oh he's from VJC...can see la. The Can-do spirit and the cheering."
    "That chao slacker...which school he from? VJ? Cannot be rite...I tot that school pple all very good one"

    Of course if you want to argue that the top-5 JCs have better system to train leaders or to build this attitude...than can argue until cows go home.

    So what if you're from VJC? If you cannot perform in your job function, you are but another useless employee. You could jus be riding on the coat-tail of supposedly being in a top-5 JC. Then there's "Tan" from SRJC...works brilliant, gets the results I need.
    "What JC was he again? Cannot remember la...but he is UK scholar leh."

    In the army...you'll find that the coolest heads come from the poly guys. Why? Cause they've been in sh!t situations which JC kids haven't. But the JC fellas do catch on after a while. JC is really a bubble. Try to step out of it and see what's real in this world.

    The good news is that NS and uni-life will expose the JC bubble. Hmm...I guess I'm spoiling the fun telling you guys this. HA!

    Cheers Eu
    Amen! Worry about uni, not about the place where in the end you guys have to take the same paper.

  11. #91

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by eunene View Post
    So what if you're from VJC? If you cannot perform in your job function, you are but another useless employee. You could jus be riding on the coat-tail of supposedly being in a top-5 JC. Then there's "Tan" from SRJC...works brilliant, gets the results I need.
    "What JC was he again? Cannot remember la...but he is UK scholar leh."

    In the army...you'll find that the coolest heads come from the poly guys. Why? Cause they've been in sh!t situations which JC kids haven't. But the JC fellas do catch on after a while. JC is really a bubble. Try to step out of it and see what's real in this world.

    The good news is that NS and uni-life will expose the JC bubble. Hmm...I guess I'm spoiling the fun telling you guys this. HA!

    Cheers Eu
    Wat u sae is veri true. Esp the NS and uni part. The badge was referrin more of pple's initial perception. (hi, wat is ur name? which unit u frm? which jc u frm?......).
    Anyway, how ur jc life wld shape up depends on wat company u stick wif in sch. I believe there will always be the cool dudes, the nerds, the geeks, whoever in every sch. So u gotta choose ur part.
    Anyway, biggest advice.....enjoy studying! It is the onli period of ur life wif 3 mth of holidae per yr! Do try as many diff activities as possible.

  12. #92

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Thanks everyone, I'm off to SAJC soon, to have a look around. SAJC seems quite ok to me, just that I either need to change 3 buses to get there, or I could spend 1/2 walking! I live near Mt Vernon btw.

    Chiif, It seems you are quite successful after NYJC. The school is doing a magazine to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the school, if you would like to be featured or simply keep in touch, maybe you could contact NYJC and give them your particulars?

    But most of you are right, JC is what I make of it. I pray that I will not look back after 2 years and tell myself it was a waste of time. To enjoy and excel in my time in JC, regardless of where I go now, is my final goal.

    Cheers!

  13. #93

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    i'm from acjc.

    dunno if people will flame me, but i say try to go to rjc. try, meaning do everything you can, whether it is appeal or begging the admissions officer.

    i had fun in acjc(alot of fun), but it is only after i had complete my A lvls that i noticed the many advantages and privileges the so-called "elite" JCs have. try to ask some of rjc seniors around my age or slightly older. there are certain advantages that they can give which WILL affect your future, not only university, but even your careers. i dun wan to state these things down as it will definitely stir up quite alot of flaming, cos these things are something like the "brutal truths" which Shumin used. though many might say which jc you go doesn't matter, it does. different pepople experience different things. your future might or might not be affected by your current choice of jc, but for mine, i think it does.

    this is something i truly feel, please dun take it as another one of those flame-inducing posts.

  14. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    3,319

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    i'm from acjc.
    i noticed the many advantages and privileges the so-called "elite" JCs have. try to ask some of rjc seniors around my age or slightly older. there are certain advantages that they can give which WILL affect your future, not only university, but even your careers.

    ... cos these things are something like the "brutal truths" which Shumin used. though many might say which jc you go doesn't matter, it does. different pepople experience different things. your future might or might not be affected by your current choice of jc, but for mine, i think it does.
    Dear Satay16,

    Thanks for sharing your experience. I fully understand why you said "certain advantages that they can give which WILL affect your future, not only university, but even your careers". To certain degree, yes, if the person come from a good JC or school, the peers, teachers, environment will help in moulding the person's thinking and behaviour.

    As you said, "different pepople experience different things", I have come across many people these years, who came from very humble background, but rise to great heights (not in the bureaucratic organisation, but in the business and commercial sector). Take Mr Sim Wong Hoo as an example, who didn't even go through the usual route of getting a degree before stepping out to work. Look what he is now, director of several large establishments, even BANKS in Singapore. Personally, I know many other businessman who did not even have a proper education and are now living happily, with an establish business, financially free. I also know of friends, who came from the elite JCs that were named on this thread, who were bankrupts.

    When one comes across crossroads and look back, one can attribute his or her success or being to the past experiences that he/she had. But if one's future is going to be determined by the past experiences, the next step the person is going to take will not be a breakthrough as the action carries certain shadow from the past experiences.

    My advise to the young, determined, passionate students or people who just started out: whatever things you learnt in school, leave behind you. The degree and papers attained through hardwork is just as good as a testimony that you have gone through the course and that's it. Period. Do not think that by coming from good school or good family background, you will become the next Bill Gates or Mr Sim. Life is not as simple as it seems. Much success stories have been written about these people, but what was not written, were the numerous setbacks and downturns these people had gone through. If you attribute your current state to the school, family background that you came from, then better stop "blaming" these factors. Get control of your current situation and work towards your goal.

    Mr/Ms Satay16, I hope you are doing well in anything you are doing. I believe you are. Think of the positive things that you have achieved during your times in ACJC, don't compare what other fellow friends get from other schools or establishments. One will never be satistifed with his/her school situation. The grass is always greener the other side. If you look back then and look at where you are today, you might smile to yourself and say, "it's not too bad afterall, I like where I am today..." You will feel happier and that will give you the positive energy to move ahead another 70 years...

    Take charge... Look ahead.... achieve your dreams...

    Regards,
    Chiif

  15. #95

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    The best is the one closest to home... No need to wake up so early just to go to school... At the end of your JC years, still taking the same GCE "A" level what...

  16. #96

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    If you want to excel in the civil service, then do go to the top 5. Why? being in the top 5 increases your chances of getting that scholarship which in turn gets you on the mark to high positions in the civil service. Yes if you want to strike it out in the private sector, you may not need to study hard. Maybe can be lucky and make it like some businessmen.

    End of the day, the brutal truth is paper qualifications matter and those who tell you otherwise, well most likely they havent got it and hence say that it is not important.

  17. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    3,319

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    End of the day, the brutal truth is paper qualifications matter and those who tell you otherwise, well most likely they havent got it and hence say that it is not important.
    Dear Mr/Ms Centuryegg,

    I hope you refrain from making such a sweeping statement.

    Thank you.

    Regards,
    Chii Fei

  18. #98

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by chiif View Post
    Dear Mr/Ms Centuryegg,

    I hope you refrain from making such a sweeping statement.

    Thank you.

    Regards,
    Chii Fei

    I make no apologies for speaking the truth.

  19. #99

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    I make no apologies for speaking the truth.
    er, paper qualifications only matter to a certain extent
    i mean, you look good on paper but all hot air, cannot play office politics
    you come from harvard in the end also no one want to promote you because you quarrel with your boss, colleagues and clients everyday etc

    and it IS a sweeping statement, not the truth
    i know of qualified people (high flyers) , mind you, who DO NOT feel the way you do
    ie. they feel that paper qualifications are not everything, and blah blah blah

    how did the teenage textbook/workbook put it (note: just because i quote from there does not mean i think it's a good work, hehe)
    the second worst way to tell a person's intelligence is to look at his a levels
    the worst way is to look at his o levels

    cheers!

  20. #100

    Default Re: What JCs are best?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    er, paper qualifications only matter to a certain extent
    i mean, you look good on paper but all hot air, cannot play office politics
    you come from harvard in the end also no one want to promote you because you quarrel with your boss, colleagues and clients everyday etc

    and it IS a sweeping statement, not the truth
    i know of qualified people (high flyers) , mind you, who DO NOT feel the way you do
    ie. they feel that paper qualifications are not everything, and blah blah blah

    how did the teenage textbook/workbook put it (note: just because i quote from there does not mean i think it's a good work, hehe)
    the second worst way to tell a person's intelligence is to look at his a levels
    the worst way is to look at his o levels

    cheers!
    The truth is that paper matters and if you dont even have the paper to enter the organisation dont talk about what politics, you wont even have a job. Just go read today's forum. Govt agencies only accept degree from the 4 local universities. So to TS, study hard and dont let people tell you JC does not matter, it does. Unless you want to end up working like a dog and under people who are not necessarily better than you but they were smart to get a good cert.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •