Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What JCs are best?

Default Re: What JCs are best?

I'm the TS (thread starter)... haha figured that out by myself

Anyway, I'll be visiting AJC and SAJC tmr, as i have no school...anywhere else i should go?

Btw, photography is a very important consideration for me at JC level, I love the NY photographic club, 4 canon dslrs so I can use my 20d with them

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    mmm..for my case, i think eca helps most in the drafting of my resume when i looked for jobs last time.. I felt so lucky when i was the only one among my peers that got chosen for interview and during the interview i was asked a lot of stuffs abt wat are the ecas i joined before, wat i do there etc. etc.

I was really glad that last time i was a "siao-on kia" and every event (besides my cca) such as interhouse badminton, table tennis, floorball, bowling, chess etc. My resume became very "beautiful" as a result.

Vector1: regardless of wat jc u go to, try to join as much events as u can. They will help u definitely in the future...
    i beg a differ, i was a in sec student leader, and we know that one u do your part can liao, if u every event also join, your teachers and friends would know u are that type lookin for the limelight type then start to giv u a hard time becoz they are also affected, it is how high value your sch views you and the contribution tat counts, IMO. afterall there is testimonia at the end of the years

Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    End of the day, it's just the A levels cert you're after.
    End of the day, after uni,

you are the same as anybody else: a working adult, even an ITE grad.

Just do what you fancy and do what you want.

nah, same destination but the route taken is different, and it certainly makes a difference in ur life and the type of character that u turn out from these education crossroads, be it from pri to sec or sec to jc, poly, ite, or jc,poly,ite to uni, or uni to masters to phd.

all of the education phase is a entirely different experience and even after u graduate, u will be glad that u have a wide network of friends that u can make use of in ur work. And of course having said this, going to RJC is the best because most of the people in RJC are going to graduate in flying colours and hold high company positions in the future. Who knows? they might be ur future boss or ur future major client.
    Last edited by kcuf2; 11th February 2007 at 08:02 PM.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Quote Originally Posted by vector1 View Post

Anyway, I'll be visiting AJC and SAJC tmr, as i have no school...anywhere else i should go?

Btw, photography is a very important consideration for me at JC level, I love the NY photographic club, 4 canon dslrs so I can use my 20d with them
    No, just narrow your choices to these 2 JCs.

Also check out their photog club.

So tell us, what kind of picture do u like to take?

Let's be honest here.
    Once you start work...nobody give's two hoots which JC you were from.
    Its really what you make of it in JC.
    If you're in a JC and going to continue studying in one. Make sure you qualify for Uni...or its just a waste of 2 years.

A poly experience is more experential and has more relevance towards any field you may decide to join. That said...if you only have a poly diploma, it is harder to progress within a job, especially if it is a civil service or govt-tied agency / stat board job. These agencies seem to value paper qualifications more than anything else. So you may find yourself in a rut despite being better than the fella with the degree. I have many disgruntled friends in this situation.

What JCs can offer besides a route to university, is the range of NETWORKING.
    Let's be somewhat frank and candid as well...cause I suspect I might also be flamed for what I say. But these are my opinons. (and besides you can always network anywhere)

From observation, if you are in...
    RJC / ACJC : you end up fren's with politicians-to-be, generals, lawyers, doctors and people with connections. You got a culture here. And find the right crowd too...cause some are jus wasting their parents money on alcohol induced parties. Then again, these same fellas will become CEOs, entreprenuers.
    NJC : Similar as above but to smaller extent, NJC lacks a feeder secondary school...so in essence a lot of top students from neighbourhood secondary schools come here. (its a mash of cultures) There's a very strong determined hardworking culture about NJCians.
    VJC / TJC : You will befriend many professionals...and people who aim hard to be the best at what they do, but lack the number of connections which RJC/ACJC offer. Upper management, but not CEOs. =) Personally I think VJC's got a very strong culture, cheers and all.
    NYJC / AJC : The hardworking chaps. Similar as above, but perhaps less of the flair. Sometimes a bit more cheena. Then again...you guys DO have Teo Ser Luck. (I dun mean "cheena" in a derogatory manner...I get laughed at for being a "banana". More frens who are more comfortable with Chinese)

Ok...not an exhaustive list. And I admit to making sweeping statements. But as I say. Its an opinion based on observation. There is no stopping anyone from proving me wrong.

Cheers. Enjoy your JC life. I had the most of it!

Eu

can like tat walk in??? mayb i should go also

I'm really regretting getting 8 points now...if only I had 10-11 points, I would just stay happily in NYJC without all this heartache...

That said, I'm determined to ferret out the best JC that I could join, but is ACJC really that bad? "cause some are jus wasting their parents money on alcohol induced parties" Anyway, if someone could tell me which JCs have the best photographic club/society with DETAILS, I would be very happy.

I also enjoy taking portraits of my family members (hence getting 2 flash units), and candid shots on the streets.

Cheers!

I'm not sure about whether I can walk in just like that, stay tuned as I call my old classmates to check (VJC and TJC were scratched off the list due to strict measures concerning outsiders and school closure respectively)

I'm really regretting getting 8 points now...if only I had 10-11 points, I would just stay happily in NYJC without all this heartache...

That said, I'm determined to ferret out the best JC that I could join, but is ACJC really that bad? "cause some are jus wasting their parents money on alcohol induced parties" Anyway, if someone could tell me which JCs have the best photographic club/society with DETAILS, I would be very happy.

I also enjoy taking portraits of my family members (hence getting 2 flash units), and candid shots on the streets.

Cheers!
    wow, for your results i get an upgrade??? mayb mine is on its way too*day-dreaming* btw wat cam u using??? self brought?

compro_1975, could you pm me your msn? it might be alot nicer to chat there than me giving you lagging replies while you post a new comment about my new post =.=

For everyone's information I have a canon 20d with 5 lenses
    1) 17-40 4.0L
    2) 24-70 2.8L
    3) 70-200 2.8L IS
    4) 50 1.8
    5) 70-300 4.5-5.6 IS

2 elinchrom flashes, 1 backdrop with stand, one taiwanese tripod with ball head

DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT RICH KID/PARENTS, I've had enough criticism already... just accept it and dun say anything

I also feel networking is essential to a good JC life, but how do I go about it? I find it hard enough to make friends with my class...although they really are friendly. My fault

Cheers!
    Every basket's got its share of bad apples...
    Like I said, its up to YOU to make the best of your JC experience. You'll be subjected to pressures, peer and academic and its up to you to set your goals, and stay the course. If you can, pursue an overseas university experience, either by scholarship or with the aid of your parents.
    I've met lovely peers from ACJC...and I've also met ones who i think are an utter turn-off.
    So in the end, just dun be too quick to judge.
    Some of the craziest alcohol-induced frens I once knew...are now the also the biggest shots in their companies or organisations. Time mellows.

Judging by your equipment, photography's really a passion for you. So find a place where you're comfortable...where you can study and enjoy a balance of doing what you like.

At your job interview, no one will ask you about your JC. But they might ask you to define an experience which changed your life. Then you could probably recall this moment and say how you chose to remain in NYJC and not choose a so-called "better" JC, jus cause your parents may think there's more face in it.

Point to note...in a sub-10 JC...you get to meet more "genius-savants". People who dun seem to study but can score like nobody's business and sometimes they can be of great help! Especially with maths/physics/chem.

Cheers.
    Eu

Talking Re: What JCs are best?

For everyone's information I have a canon 20d with 5 lenses
    1) 17-40 4.0L
    2) 24-70 2.8L
    3) 70-200 2.8L IS
    4) 50 1.8
    5) 70-300 4.5-5.6 IS

2 elinchrom flashes, 1 backdrop with stand, one taiwanese tripod with ball head

DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT RICH KID/PARENTS, I've had enough criticism already... just accept it and dun say anything
    I think U can go ACJC liao......

I also feel networking is essential to a good JC life, but how do I go about it? I find it hard enough to make friends with my class...although they really are friendly. My fault
    It would appear that you are someone more comfortable typing away on MSN or in a forum then dealing with a straight face-to-face conversation.

That's a strength. Engage your peers over MSN loh. Sometimes just asking for help in a particular topic...can lead to study groups, dinner. Share your knowledge and passion of photography. Show your peers what your 10D can do. When everybody graduates, be remembered as the one who can take really brilliant shots. Tell peops you can do their portraits and photoshop for them.

Its a skill and talent. use it well. If you can do makeovers with photoshop...and for a minimal fee...I bet there would be a line wanting one. Speak to the council about doing photography for the prom king and queen...etc etc.

Cheers
    Eu.

Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    why not rjc?
    RJC wont take 8 points even at the max of 8-4=4

TJC or VJC? at 8 points if ur looking to do science then i suggest u stay in NY

Offering my COMPLETELY BIASED pov, VJ has veri veri strong sch spirit (all the cheering n all).
    If u r interested in research, VJ has the necessary research facilites tt r quite new.
    Upon comparison wif my frens frm other jcs, it seems easier to qualify for studying 's' paper (they have some equivalent for new syllabus). Other sch require u to do veri veri well during promos jus to qualify to study for them while my teacher simply encourage me to go for ANY 's' paper lects to c if i can cope.
    We were also given quite large degree of freedom. I noe other jcs where lecturers take attendance for every single lect. Doesnt happen in vj.

Choosin a top 5 jc has lesser known advantages. (For e.g., it S.E.E.M.S to be easier to be allocated into a "welfare" company in bmtc phase of the army if u r frm some top jcs).
    Of cos, networking is veri impt (whether u like it or not), for u will c the same batch of pple everywhere, in army, in uni, at work, etc. Do consider how these factors wld affect u.

Whether u like it or not, where u r schooled will be a badge which pple will scrutinise

Well, thanks for all the replies.

I've been asking around, and it seems like my best chance is to go for TJC instead of VJC due to the Cut off point. It's going to be so familiar to me anyway, chung cheng is a feeder school for TJC...

Could you all kindly provide more information about TJC? any alumni here?

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    I think U can go ACJC liao......
    wa, hahahaha
    well friend, in the end you have to decide which jc you want to go to
    it's YOUR choice
    my advice is don't crack your head too much about it, and always think pragmatically more than anything else

and that will show you the way, i guess
    sure, rj and acjc etc will provide you networking abilities
    but hey, is life all about that?
    life's about a lot more than that, really - as idealistic as it sounds, whatever makes you happy, makes you float your boat is the way to go

frankly you think so hard about it, in the end you go to a school where the culture fits you, blah blah blah.. then get thrown into a mugger class where everyone mugs 24/7, also no point. =D

nightmare, you've hit the nail on the head...I have a tendency to "overthink" or "overplan" alot of stuff, so I always suffer when it comes to decisions

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast