Hi, I'm interested to hear from members who have, or are in the process of getting, a photography degree or diploma. A BA, MA, or some other professional qualification.

1. How has studying photography formally helped you as a photographer? What were you looking for in your course? What school did you go to, and why did you choose it?

2. Are there things you learn in a photography school or programme that you cannot learn from work practice? Upon hindsight, would you choose to save yourself the time and cash, and just learn on your own, or find a mentor?

3. Do you have another qualification aside from your photography one? For example, in arts, design, or some other academic subject? Did you practice photography before you began studying it?

I'm well aware that being self-taught has its merits, and people learn things differently. I'm not implying one is better than the other. I'm mostly self-taught myself , and that having a portfolio, discipline and EQ, are essential things. I don't plan to go into studies any time soon, but I'd still like to hear from those who chose to do so.

Thanks for your time.

(Mods, if you feel this belongs in Kopitiam instead, sorry, my bad. Please go ahead and shift it.)