Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best f-stop for Group Photo

Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    1/60 sec, f/8
    Mode: Manual
    ISO: 800
    Flash: External E-TTL
    This is very helpful, Bro I have noted this down. Looks like best way to lock it at 1/60 and f5.6 or 8... then adjust iso for correct exposure... with E-TTL, of course.

I tested out at home asking my family to sit together... E-TTL, f8, shutter 1/60 at manual... LS with dome pointing up in the ceiling.. I got a pretty good picture!! Although the camera meter shows me way underexposed (All the way to the left)...

One question - we only use the meter to get natural light from the background when shooting flash right e.g. outdoor right? I am surprised that the pic I took doesn't show it is underexposed. Sorry again if this question sounds silly.
    Last edited by miniUltraman; 11th February 2007 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman View Post
    I tested out at home asking my family to sit together... E-TTL, f8, shutter 1/60 at manual... LS with dome pointing up in the ceiling.. I got a pretty good picture!! Although the camera meter shows me way underexposed (All the way to the left)...
    Yes, your flash is intelligent enough (E-TTL) to bright up the object. Since you are new in flash, you should do different type of flash setups like
    - flash w/o LS direct
    - flash w LS direct
    - flash w/o LS tilt 90 degree
    - flash w LS tilt 90 degree
    - flash w/o LS tilt 70 degree
    - flash w LS tilt 70 degree
    repeat the test with flash reflector instead of LS
    Compare all the results.

Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman
    One question - we only use the meter to get natural light from the background when shooting flash right e.g. outdoor right? I am surprised that the pic I took doesn't show it is underexposed. Sorry again if this question sounds silly.
    Recommended Flash setup for 2 different environment

- for outdoor, you need to use flash to fill-in the object. The setup is flash head pointing directly to the object and not bounce. Usually the camera settings will be in AUTO mode, P, Tv/S or Av/A. Compensate the flash exposure to -1 (varies).

- for indoor,
    a. Low ceiling, you need to use flash to bounce off the ceiling. Flash accessories can be bounce card, omin-bounce or LS. Flash head tilt can be from 60 to 90 degree. Photography distance is short. Compensate the flash exposure to +0 (varies).

b. High Ceiling, you can use flash to shoot direct or bounce with accessory at 60 to 70 degree. Photography distance for flash direct is much further than bounce setup.
    Last edited by megaweb; 12th February 2007 at 10:37 AM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Thanks Megaweb... you are great. This is super helpful

Don't bet on it.. People who tell you a textbook setting is not going to do you good in the long run.. There will definitely be situations where you have to think about what settings you need to use.. Better to learn from fundamentals.. Yes, it takes time, but it will stay with you for a long time. I've been into photography as a hobby for about 20 years now and I'm still learning.....

You're welcome. As lsisaxon said, learn from fundamentals and try all kind of setups. Once you master to your own preference setup, you can share your experience to others too
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12