Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Best f-stop for Group Photo

  1. #1

    Default Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Dear all - What the your recommendation on f-stop for Group Company Photo indoor w/o tripod but with external flash?
    Let say about 20 persons standing at a lobby in 3 rolls... Does f5.6 enough to get everyone's face sharp? I will probably just focus the centre?

    First time doing that and probably can't get them all standing there while I trial and error Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    You just need to get the center ppl eyes sharp can le. Its quite natural to see photos getting blurred radially out (Your eyes works this way anyway.)
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman View Post
    Dear all - What the your recommendation on f-stop for Group Company Photo indoor w/o tripod but with external flash?
    Let say about 20 persons standing at a lobby in 3 rolls... Does f5.6 enough to get everyone's face sharp? I will probably just focus the centre?

    First time doing that and probably can't get them all standing there while I trial and error Thanks!!!
    It is also difficult to say cos also donno what make of flash you are using. If you really want, f22 is best lah. But donno how's the shutter speed gonna be like.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    It is also difficult to say cos also donno what make of flash you are using. If you really want, f22 is best lah. But donno how's the shutter speed gonna be like.
    He want to use external flash...

    Regards,
    Arto.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Ya, I mentioned "what make" of the flash rite.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  6. #6

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo


  7. #7

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    It is also difficult to say cos also donno what make of flash you are using. If you really want, f22 is best lah. But donno how's the shutter speed gonna be like.
    thanks for the advise. I am using Canon 580EX. f22 then the whole group must freeze for few secs

  8. #8

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    thanks megaweb... I might have missed that thread. Thanks for the reference!!

  9. #9
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    it depends on where u r shooting oso..like indoor or outdoor, and the ambience light u have..

    i would say f/8-f/16 would be very appropriate..but the smallest number u can go is probably f/5.6..

    another trick is to shoot wide open (e.g f/2.8-f/3.5) but u must move to a point that u can manual focus to infinity..then do cropping.. results not garaunteed..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Megaweb - This is good http://tpmc.fotopic.net/p19689994.html. May you share your settings? Do you point your flash facing them or 90 degrees vertical? I have a lightsphere, does it help for such photo?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman View Post
    Megaweb - This is good http://tpmc.fotopic.net/p19689994.html. May you share your settings? Do you point your flash facing them or 90 degrees vertical? I have a lightsphere, does it help for such photo?
    forget the settings ( will check this evening ), the setup was ext. flash point 90 degree upward wiith lightsphere.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    forget the settings ( will check this evening ), the setup was ext. flash point 90 degree upward wiith lightsphere.
    With dome on? It looks like high ceiling so dome not required ?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman View Post
    With dome on? It looks like high ceiling so dome not required ?
    No dome. There is a low ceiling which allow me to bounce the flash.

    If the ceiling is very high, you cannot bounce the flash. So recommend to tilt the flash forward 60-70 degree or shoot directly front.
    Last edited by megaweb; 9th February 2007 at 10:55 AM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  14. #14

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    No dome. There is a low ceiling which allow me to bounce the flash.

    If the ceiling is very high, you cannot bounce the flash. So recommend to tilt the flash forward 60-70 degree or shoot directly front.
    Very helpful. Thanks I am actually confused cos' Gary Fong advise to put the dome on for low ceiling while remove the dome for high ceiling. (I get to think that the dome prevents too much bounce for low ceiling)...

    Do you use E-TTL most of the time for such shots?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Ya, I mentioned "what make" of the flash rite.
    Then the shutter speed shouldn't matter.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Still will matter lah. WAit f:22 sshutter speed donno what le.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  17. #17

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman View Post
    Do you use E-TTL most of the time for such shots?
    Yes, I use E-TTL. Nowsaday I dun use lightsphere as it looks bulky and get attention. I use flash with omni-bounce tilt 70 degree forward for high ceiling short distance shots.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Same here, Omnibounce is very good. But I prefer the colour and contrast of direct flash. But will have shadow problem. Unless I use CLS.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  19. #19

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Yes, I use E-TTL. Nowsaday I dun use lightsphere as it looks bulky and get attention. I use flash with omni-bounce tilt 70 degree forward for high ceiling short distance shots.
    actually I agree with you... lightsphere gets so much attention definitely Maybe I should also get the omni-bounce

  20. #20

    Default Re: Best f-stop for Group Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    forget the settings ( will check this evening
    1/60 sec, f/8
    Mode: Manual
    ISO: 800
    Flash: External E-TTL
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •