Thread: Why more megapixels MP may not be that desirable...good read for newbies...

Default Why more megapixels MP may not be that desirable...good read for newbies...

I found some interesting articles on the web.
    Perhaps it might be useful to the newbies looking for cameras...
    MP isnt the only thing that determine the worth of a camera

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/20...ng-ripped-off/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3958138/

Default Re: Why more megapixels MP may not be that desirable...good read for newbies...

its mainly for those who are new to photography or are using compacts.... anyone else would know that MP increases resolution and delivers more detailed images suitable for blowing up or for cropping etc etc to be done.

Default Re: Why more megapixels MP may not be that desirable...good read for newbies...

That's why the D2H(s) is still used my photojournalists, sports and magazine photogs alike! & it's a 4MP sensor!

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    That's why the D2H(s) is still used my photojournalists, sports and magazine photogs alike! & it's a 4MP sensor!
    Yes, some people thing MP is everything... There are many factor involved than MP to make a good system/camera.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    its mainly for those who are new to photography or are using compacts.... anyone else would know that MP increases resolution and delivers more detailed images suitable for blowing up or for cropping etc etc to be done.
    To a large extent, you're right.. camera manufacturers target noobs with more megapixels, longer zoom, and IS. I have friends who ask me if they should get the 10mp or 6mp etc..

Quote Originally Posted by jkaiser View Post
    To a large extent, you're right.. camera manufacturers target noobs with more megapixels, longer zoom, and IS. I have friends who ask me if they should get the 10mp or 6mp etc..
    Tell them to go for the type of sensor!

Quote Originally Posted by jkaiser View Post
    so then how come the pro camera has increasing higher pixels count, and the pro lens has.....

Quote Originally Posted by swhyge View Post
    so then how come the pro camera has increasing higher pixels count, and the pro lens has.....
    cause they naturally have either: 1. bigger sensor 2. greater PP possibilities - more area to crop

Quote Originally Posted by skopio View Post
    cause they naturally have either: 1. bigger sensor 2. greater PP possibilities - more area to crop
    bigger sensor - ?? you sure?
    greater PP possibilities - hah hah --- so beginner not wrong!
    more area to crop - hah hah hah - beginner more correct, need them more..

so all the more they need higher pixel count!!!

.... with very few exceptions, which higher pixel count camera is inferior to the lower count one!!! esp. those cam. that are meant for the general users!!! Which new one dun give the newbie a better picture against the old one...

Some time people over amplifiy a "point of consideration" given by some pro - which are also not infallible' into weird belief. I read some time back (1 year I think) that a photo. lecturer strongly advised his student to buy a film camera to learn photography!; and also read instead of offering the some opinion for newbies looking for camera info (of which one to buy), 'advice' was given that it is the photographer not the camera... OUt of context! and i believe, many, dun quite practise their own weird theories - else why spent time in this forum. Just a simple yesterday camera and use it until no spare sparts, and dun awe at the new products!! Who want to buy my Canon G1 - 3M?

Quote Originally Posted by haagen_dazs View Post
    I found some interesting articles on the web.
    Perhaps it might be useful to the newbies looking for cameras...
    MP isnt the only thing that determine the worth of a camera

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/20...ng-ripped-off/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3958138/
    I think I've read that New York Times article before as I've an online account.

For Point and Shoot cameras nowadays, the limiting factor is not the no. of MP but the amount and quality of light (i.e. sensor size and lens). More pixels squeezed on the same small sensor will only increase noise and necessitates more sophisticated noise reduction algorithm without any improvement in picture quality unless sensor technology to gather light and avoid noise improves.

The 6.3MP Fuji S6500fd produces better picture quality than the 9.1 MP S9500/9600 especially at higher ISO even though the same lens is used.

Its just cheaper to pack more pixels onto a small sensor than to make a larger sensor or better lens. Thats why we poor photographers pay so much for that big lens or FF DSLR (along with many other features of course). Anyway, larger MP means eating more memory and means slower for you to load up on computers.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

Very interesting article....

Click this for a further read.

it all depends on what you are gonna do to your images...for viewing on a computer screen, you need, what, 2Mpixel at the most...if you print to 4R, 6Mpixel is more than sufficient...pros shooting news and sports and printing on newspapers or even mags need speed more than resolution so the D2Hs is great for them...really, it depends on what you wanna do with your images...and is there a point&shoot available now that can produce better images, all else being equal, than the 6Mpixel Fuji F30/31?

I think the more complex definition and differences in sensor sizes only applies to SLRs.

In a compact (actually the area where the megapixel race and ignorance are still prevalent) their sensor sizes are miniscule, crappy, by any SLR users standard.

So, maybe, in the compacts segment the higher megapixel = better may still hold true.

To put it in perspective the newest 10mpix exilim would definitely not win over a 6Mpix Nikon D40 in image quality.
    But in a similarly sized sensor, the 10Mpix exilim would definitely be better than, say a 4 year old 6Mpix exilim.