Thread: propaganda photography?

Smile propaganda photography?

hello there,

I am doing some project based on propaganda photography and would like some help of answering this questions:

1. what do you all think about a photography which contains propaganda message?

2. what if your country become the target of those propaganda message?

3. has anyone ever do propaganda photography before?

4. is culture taking part of photography process?

thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge and information.

cheers

Default Re: propaganda photography?

U singaporean huh?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

no.. i am not. trying to get answer for my sch project.

any help?

1. what do you all think about a photography which contains propaganda message? Dun bother - already numb

2. what if your country become the target of those propaganda message?Search M'sia General election

3. has anyone ever do propaganda photography before?Search Jack Neo

4. is culture taking part of photography process?Dunnoe wat u asking

BTW this should be in kopitiam sub forum.

+1
    Last edited by CYRN; 9th February 2007 at 12:22 AM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

I don't quite understand your questions, so I'm not sure what you're looking for. Anyway here are my opinions...

To me, propaganda is the blatant pushing of one's political/social/cultural agenda. It serves someone's purpose or bias one way or another. A lot of times, the photographer has less to do with it than their editors/art directors (their bosses). It's not just news photography too. Photography in advertising can be considered propaganda to a certain extent, only some are more subliminal.

It depends on the message and how much truth is in it. I'm not one for knee jerk reactions. I also think it's interesting to see how our local issues are interpreted by foreign press, politicians etc. I would try to find out more about how and why the message came about. If the truth is misrepresented, I would share my opinion.

Yes, I have. I've been asked to take photos of some people and places in a certain way to put them in a 'better' or 'worse light'. To me, it was just a job. But if I'm asked to do it again, I would first be sure that the 'cause' is something that a) wouldn't harm anyone/anything, and b) I personally agree with.

As a side note, I've observed photo editors at Reuters pore over hundreds of digital images that were coming 'over the wire' from photojournalists. The care that they took in selecting the 'right' photo to send out to newspapers and news sites was astounding. Made me think about the amount of images we don't get to see in our everyday media. (I don't work for Reuters, so am not suggesting I know anything about their photo selection methods.)

4. is culture taking part of photography process?

Do you mean to ask if photographers are influenced by social and cultural issues? If so, then I think it depends on the photographer and his area of focus. If his/her main line of work concerns news then the photos taken will influenced on the kind of issues his/her editors want to see published, how they are to be represented.
    Last edited by wrkshy; 9th February 2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo

Oh, and if you want some history, go read up on Dmitri Baltermants - an early 20th Century photographer who was an out and out propaganda-pushing photographer. He was a great believer that his art's purpose was to the serve the state. He photographs covered Soviet leadership from Stalin to Gorbachev.

Quote Originally Posted by wrkshy View Post
    Oh, and if you want some history, go read up on Dmitri Baltermants - an early 20th Century photographer who was an out and out propaganda-pushing photographer. He was a great believer that his art's purpose was to the serve the state. He photographs covered Soviet leadership from Stalin to Gorbachev.
    i've seen books @ borders or the national library with those chinese govt posters, though mostly are paintings. A lot of them caters towards peasants, reminding them of the highly impt roles that they play in the sys.. And of cos the military are idolised too...

thanks alot for the ideas and opinions!!!!!

greatly appriciated.

*** kopitiam forum??!! :P

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    hello there,

I am doing some project based on propaganda photography and would like some help of answering this questions:

These are some rather provocative questions with rather serious implications.

If you can clarify exactly what you meant by propaganda photography, I can give you some opinions. Different people will have different interpretations of "propaganda photography".

Yes, what student said is quite right. Views vary amongst people and under different political, social, and cultural environments.

Have a look at Chinese contemporary artist Liu Jin's works. His photography always sends a strong message:
    http://www.artnet.com/artist/711147/liu-jin.html
    I still have a photo collection book of his works. They are not my kind of style, but interesting to have a look (because they are not boring). You can buy them at some bookshops at Bras Brasah.