Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Can someone recommend me good portraiture books?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default Can someone recommend me good portraiture books?

    Hi, looking for good creative portraiture books for non-studio shoots. I would prefer non-glam/non-studio ones, and looking for books which explains techniques and poses. While I know it's better to participate in workshops, I would prefer to purchase a book first to read through and get a rough idea, so please just stick to recommending books in this thread.

    Thank you.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can someone recommend me good portraiture books?

    Hi there, Photovideoi's Feb 07 issue has a very good article abt portraiture. For 6 bucks, you may wanna grab a copy to read up on the subject and techniques.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default Re: Can someone recommend me good portraiture books?

    Quote Originally Posted by mud77man View Post
    Hi there, Photovideoi's Feb 07 issue has a very good article abt portraiture. For 6 bucks, you may wanna grab a copy to read up on the subject and techniques.
    Roger, that will be one item I will purchase. Looking for something that I can always look back and refer to, plus with lots of content and photos.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can someone recommend me good portraiture books?

    I suggest checking your local library. I found many books related to portraits at Sengkang and Tampines community library.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default Re: Can someone recommend me good portraiture books?

    Quote Originally Posted by rendrat View Post
    I suggest checking your local library. I found many books related to portraits at Sengkang and Tampines community library.
    I know there are many, which is why I am looking for recommendations before getting a book and wasting time with it because it's not detailed enough or is not suitable for my needs...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lower Seletar Reservoir
    Posts
    1,048

    Default Re: Can someone recommend me good portraiture books?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    I know there are many, which is why I am looking for recommendations before getting a book and wasting time with it because it's not detailed enough or is not suitable for my needs...
    that's the reason why, the other CSers are asking you to look thru the library's collection first.

    There's one photographer whose works I like, she is Annabel Williams www.annabelwilliams.com

  7. #7

    Default Re: Can someone recommend me good portraiture books?

    Try www.amherstmedia.com, there are many professional books on posing, lighting and portraits. Choose what you think suite your need, and go to Amazon.com, and check what people say about the specific books.

    My personal experiences say I cannot depends on 1 or 2 books. Singapore Library's has many books about photography. Sometimes, I can even find the latest edition of those publish by Amherst Media.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can someone recommend me good portraiture books?

    Some good (& Some not so good, depending on your taste and style) inspirations can be obtained for free here.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Can someone recommend me good portraiture books?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xing View Post
    that's the reason why, the other CSers are asking you to look thru the library's collection first.

    There's one photographer whose works I like, she is Annabel Williams www.annabelwilliams.com
    I 2nd this choice. I have a book by her on portraiture and wedding photography. I quite like her style.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  10. #10

    Default Re: Can someone recommend me good portraiture books?

    Marc Hom: PORTRAITS
    256 pages
    Publish on February 28, 2007


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •