Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angkor Wat...Borobudor

Default Re: Angkor Wat...Borobudor

Quote Originally Posted by jaxxb View Post
    Think best way to move around is on motorbike (Rp40K), i used a guide (or rather my motobike driver, what do you call them? gave him Rp50K and bought some batik) i chatted up near Kraton, to rush me through the 3/4 days there.
    I think they are called tukang ojek for those that ride the scooters... Good if you want to move further out of heart of Jogja (read: Jl. Malioboro and its surroundings). If you just want to explore that area, there are many trishaw (tukang becak) that are more than willing to bring you around.

If you can spare the dough, there are transport companies that can arrange for you an english-speaking driver (if you do not speak Bhs Indon) and a decent vehicle (usually a 7-seater of sorts, Suzuki APV or Toyota Kijang would qualify as pretty decent). Rates go at about Rp350K+ for 10-12 hours. They will bring you anywhere and everywhere at your request. heh. I would recommend Pondok Tours (you can find their contact on yogyes.com) if you prefer to go by this route... At least they are a bona-fide company.

Beware of extremely cheap offers, they may come with a catch. Maybe forcing you to pay ridiculous prices for petrol (BBM in local speak), which they will claim at this stage is not inclusive in the rental fee.
    Last edited by Yatlapball; 17th March 2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: missed out a K in 350

I am visiting Angkor Wat during next week and thanks to some of the useful tips here, I think I will be there during their National Day?
    I am going with my 17-50mm and 50mm f1.8 and tripod, no flash.
    Any recommendations whether I should rent any ultrawide angle (eg 10-20mm) or flash or telephoto lens (eg 80-300mm)?

I heard that guided tours are definitely necessary, how will they affect my sunrise and sunset shoots? 'Cos not sure how flexible they are.
    My guided tour will be provided through the nice folks at my accomodation.

Quote Originally Posted by mybearbrick View Post
    I am visiting Angkor Wat during next week and thanks to some of the useful tips here, I think I will be there during their National Day?
    I am going with my 17-50mm and 50mm f1.8 and tripod, no flash.
    Any recommendations whether I should rent any ultrawide angle (eg 10-20mm) or flash or telephoto lens (eg 80-300mm)?

I heard that guided tours are definitely necessary, how will they affect my sunrise and sunset shoots? 'Cos not sure how flexible they are.
    My guided tour will be provided through the nice folks at my accomodation.
    Hi

How did your trip go ?
    I am planning a trip sometime next month.
    How is the weather like currently ?

I am in Siem Reap as I write this, taking a break after a morning of temples. The weather at the moment is variable as it's approaching the wet season. Had one morning of rain but sunrise and sensets have been unspectacular so far. Staying at the peaceofAngkor GH which is very reasonable and run by a photographer.

Moto tuktuks still cost US$12 per day but extra if you want to go for sunrise. I got to Angkor Wat at 5.05am yesterday and was the only person there for about 20 minutes. Magical.

Let me know if u need more info.

i would recommend both places!!

here are some of my photos and write-up on my borobudur trip.
    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=181564
    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=181565

Visited Yogya over the CNY break in Feb. Loved Borobodur and wished I had more time to capture the images. Am new to photography so technically a little lost. I shoot by instinct. Given the recent Garuda crash, may consider the Silk Air to Solo route the next time. It was scary flying in and out of Yogya admittedly. Next time around, will visit Prambanan in the morning.

One thing though, Garuda had a very good promo - tickets and accommodations at the wonderful Hyatt Regency Yogya. Tour wise, we went to the Tourist Centre on Jalan Malioboro and booked a tour there. Check out http://www.yogyes.com/ for more info and get inspired by the Java Jive blog http://www.thejavajive.com/blog/

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
    I am in Siem Reap as I write this, taking a break after a morning of temples. The weather at the moment is variable as it's approaching the wet season. Had one morning of rain but sunrise and sensets have been unspectacular so far. Staying at the peaceofAngkor GH which is very reasonable and run by a photographer.

Moto tuktuks still cost US$12 per day but extra if you want to go for sunrise. I got to Angkor Wat at 5.05am yesterday and was the only person there for about 20 minutes. Magical.

Let me know if u need more info.
    Say hi to Dave!!!

I'll be seeing him again in about 50 days.

Check out Ta Phrom. It's my favourite temple.

Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    Anybody been to these places? Or anybody planning for a trip to any of these 2 places?
    You can check out my pics (mixture from Ayutthaya & Siem Reap) at http://www.alvinteo.com/cms/nirvana.php

I'll be back in Siem Reap soon. Didn't know that Phil is there right now. I will try to explore further (beyond the Angkor temples).

Just got back from Siem Reap last week. We've actually hired an exclusive tuk tuk to take us around at USD20 per head for 4 days(tuk tuk rides are fun but prepare for some dust and fumes). Though the driver doesn't speak great english but he managed to suggest some places beyond our original plan. In the end, we managed to visit over 10 temples in Angkor area, catch sunset/sunrise and had some nice food in the area. You might want to check out the floating village and Kampong Phluok as well.

If you can, grab a copy of Lonely Planet and read up a little before going. Also, try to read up a little on the history of the Angkor...this should help you appreciate the temples more instead of looking at each temple as 'just another temple'. If you want last minute 'read ups' there, there are lots of people selling books on Angkor there and you can try to bargain the price of each book to below USD10.

It's pretty hot there so try to travel light and easy. Suncreen and insect repellant are recommended.

Hope these info helps.
    Last edited by antere; 15th April 2007 at 01:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12