Thread: Would like to take close up shots of jewellery

Default Would like to take close up shots of jewellery

HI There,

I am new here and just got myself a cannon 400D. I am into online selling of my handmade jewellery, however my current kit lens does not allow me to take close up shots. It does not lock focus. Sigh... can some kind soul give me advise of what lens should i buy (budget around $300 and below if possible). I would like my shots to clearly show the gem stones, the cut (closed up)..

tks,
    rocksnstones

Default Re: Would like to take close up shots of jewellery

The best tool for macro (close-up) photography is still the macro lens. However, I do not think you can buy one for your budget $300.

The next best thing is extension tubes. They are selling for around $190 for a brand new set of 3 tubes or around $150 for second hand.

The cheapest solution is to use Close-up filters. These filters attach to your normal lens and magnify the object that you want to take. Prices vary depending on the brand, quality and degree of magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by digisnap View Post
    The best tool for macro (close-up) photography is still the macro lens. However, I do not think you can buy one for your budget $300.

The next best thing is extension tubes. They are selling for around $190 for a brand new set of 3 tubes or around $150 for second hand.

The cheapest solution is to use Close-up filters. These filters attach to your normal lens and magnify the object that you want to take. Prices vary depending on the brand, quality and degree of magnification.
    Thank you...will look into the ES25 (ext tube) cos it's been said it will work with my 50mm lens. What do you mean a set of 3 tubes? Can I get them at TCW at peninsular?

Try shooting using manual focus.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksnstones View Post
    Thank you...will look into the ES25 (ext tube) cos it's been said it will work with my 50mm lens. What do you mean a set of 3 tubes? Can I get them at TCW at peninsular?
    I know its available at CP (also at Peninsular). TCW should also have it but not sure about that. The 3 tubes are of different sizes and you can use them in any combination depending on the degree of magnification that you want to get. There is also an option to buy only a single tube which will be cheaper for you. One common brand is Tri-Plus (green box). I suggest you bring your camera and try it out at the shop first and see if you like it before buying. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksnstones View Post
    for 50mm lens, you can use 50mm ext. tube (stack tubes) which will give 1:1 magnification. However focusing distance is very close and DOF is very shallow. You will not able to focus if use > 50mm ext tube (stack tubes) for your 50mm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    Try shooting using manual focus.
    ? if cannot focus already, manual focus can help?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Hi All,
    Thanks for the adv..got my camera on me and will go look for filters and ext tubes..see what's best.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/images/cs...s/thumbsup.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    ? if cannot focus already, manual focus can help?
    Who knows, except for the TS that he/she could be on AF and "does not lock focus". Neither did he/she mention what focusing more he/she was on. So AF mode could be a possibility.

TS has stated that he is using the kit lens, which does not have much of a macro facilities, so going manual focus will not help him take close up of those jewelleries. For the given budget, the best bet is to get an extension tube like the Kenko or a close up filter like a Canon 250D.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

consider a used Tamron 90mm macro lens but you need to up yr budget to about $420 or so. Save all the troubles really.

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    TS has stated that he is using the kit lens, which does not have much of a macro facilities, so going manual focus will not help him take close up of those jewelleries. For the given budget, the best bet is to get an extension tube like the Kenko or a close up filter like a Canon 250D.
    Dun get me wrong, I was explaining the possibility of why he/she cannot lock focus.

Thanks to all that gave me adv....