Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 68

Thread: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

  1. #21

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    hi guys..

    i am experiencing a very very slow internet connection recently.. it has been happening since a week ago i guess, before it was fine.. i am afraid if there is someone stealing my wifi and taking most of the bandwith there.. is there anyway to find out about that?? btw my wifi isnt encrypted actually since i dont know how to do that

    thx

    Gather some of your tech-saavy friends go to your place to help set up the security, worst come to the worse ask the service provider to send someone down to help u set it up. Worst case scenario which you wouldn't want to spend a cent, or want friends to laugh at you, then learn how to do it yourself by reading up on the net...confirm alot of info to teach you how to.

    "i dun know" is not the excuse not to lock up, and then complain people are tapping your network. Responsibility starts with the owner.


  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    hi guys..

    i am experiencing a very very slow internet connection recently.. it has been happening since a week ago i guess, before it was fine.. i am afraid if there is someone stealing my wifi and taking most of the bandwith there.. is there anyway to find out about that?? btw my wifi isnt encrypted actually since i dont know how to do that

    thx

    u know someone is using your WiFi if you have named your SSID as wireless@sg

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    i lived in an area where old folks lived.

    confirmed no one wants my Wifi.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    stop all your surfing, then use ethereal to sniff, see if got packets? by right should have only system packets right? i am still learning , pardon my dumb dumb

  5. #25

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    I use Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security (anti-virus) and it has a feature to detect which unknown computers are using the network. Maybe you might find it somewhere in your anti-virus too.

    (What, no security key and no antivirus??)

  6. #26

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    The simplest way would be to check the DHCP table in your router first to see how many DHCP addresses were "handed" out by the router.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    your router application should be able to show who is using it.

    in the past...i can see foreign MAC addresses... i copied and paste into my denied access list.

  8. #28

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    thanks guy for your replies.. ill be trying deadpixel suggestion to turn off the comps and see wheter any data transfered.. anyway i tried to encrypt it, i followed the method in the user manual, then after that i even couldnt get myself to connect to my wifi so i resetted the router to the factory setting that has no encryption..

    that is because you need to configure ur PCs as well

    leaving ur network unsecured is as good as leaving ur house doors open. it's ur responsibility to secure it

  9. #29

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post
    Instead of encrpyting you can also try mac address filtering and hiding your wireless network name broadcast.
    it is not totally secure. mac addresses can be spoofed and hidden SSIDs can be broken with dictionary attacks if the SSID is a common English word

  10. #30

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Ethereal cannot sniff 802.11 packets. -_-
    Anyway, you shouldn't use Ethereal. Wireshark is better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    stop all your surfing, then use ethereal to sniff, see if got packets? by right should have only system packets right? i am still learning , pardon my dumb dumb

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Why dont they make wireless like TV license? Every hosuehold just pay $110 per year and use the money to wireless up the whole Singapore, so no one need to "steal" the bandwidth.

  12. #32

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam View Post
    it is not totally secure. mac addresses can be spoofed and hidden SSIDs can be broken with dictionary attacks if the SSID is a common English word
    No security measure is foolproof. We padlock the doors outside our house even though we know that someone can just bring a big clipper and cut it. But we padlock it anyway.

    Internet access is so common that most people will not waste time to hack into your network just for that. But if you leave your door wide open... and if someone goes into your house and eat your food... even if you are not the one committing the crime, you look a little foolish.

  13. #33

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    I hide my SSID, enabled both encryption and Mac control.
    Last edited by togu; 8th February 2007 at 09:22 AM.

  14. #34

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Why dont they make wireless like TV license? Every hosuehold just pay $110 per year and use the money to wireless up the whole Singapore, so no one need to "steal" the bandwidth.
    Excellent idea. I think the wireless@sg network may eventually create the necessary infrastructure for that.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    hi guys..

    i am experiencing a very very slow internet connection recently.. it has been happening since a week ago i guess, before it was fine.. i am afraid if there is someone stealing my wifi and taking most of the bandwith there.. is there anyway to find out about that?? btw my wifi isnt encrypted actually since i dont know how to do that

    thx
    i'm more curious to know if you do find someone stealing your bandwidth, are you going to take any action against him?

  16. #36

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by togu View Post
    I enabled both encryption and Mac control.
    That's very secure. Unfortunately, this approach can be a bit inconvenient if you have friends/relatives who come from time to time to use your network. For every additional wireless device, you need to go into the wireless router to add the mac address.

    For myself, I just use SSID. I just use 64bit, which is not even super secure. But for 64bit, I only need to remember a 10 character string to add new devices.

    I live on the top floor of my apartment building. So, there are not many households that can steal my bandwidth. I know that some people make super antennaes with pringle cans to tap into other people's networks... but if they want my bandwidth so badly, they can have it.

  17. #37

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    i'm more curious to know if you do find someone stealing your bandwidth, are you going to take any action against him?
    Yah... ban him from internet gaming for 18 months.... a fate worse than death!

  18. #38

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Hi,

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    That's very secure. Unfortunately, this approach can be a bit inconvenient if you have friends/relatives who come from time to time to use your network. For every additional wireless device, you need to go into the wireless router to add the mac address.

    For myself, I just use SSID. I just use 64bit, which is not even super secure. But for 64bit, I only need to remember a 10 character string to add new devices.

    I live on the top floor of my apartment building. So, there are not many households that can steal my bandwidth. I know that some people make super antennaes with pringle cans to tap into other people's networks... but if they want my bandwidth so badly, they can have it.
    My 2c view: stealing of bandwidth is the least of your problems when your network is accessible by others. The rogue could (a) hack into your PC(s), copy your files, install trojans, steal bank passwords, etc, or even attempt to (b) sniff all your network transactions over the air. At the very least, an accessible network could cause someone else's PC to infect your PC's with viruses, whether intentionally or not.

  19. #39

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    The simplest is the MAC address. Get your PC's IP by typing in MS-DOS "ipconfig /all". Get your PC's MAC Address and add that to your routers list of allowede MAC address. Nevermind the WEP thing. But can can add, but an overkill.

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: how to find out if theres someone stealing my wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    thanks guy for your replies.. ill be trying deadpixel suggestion to turn off the comps and see wheter any data transfered.. anyway i tried to encrypt it, i followed the method in the user manual, then after that i even couldnt get myself to connect to my wifi so i resetted the router to the factory setting that has no encryption..
    You just missed one more step... Once you enabled the router encryption, it will give you 6 or 12 digit "alpha numeric Key" (or depends on what encryption you use). You need to enable/activate this on your PC so that your PC is in sync with your router.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •