Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advantages of RAW format?

Default Re: Advantages of RAW format?

Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    1 raw file, saved into 3 jpegs with different EV and merge them in HDR

it crashed half-way through the HDR merging process =(
    Aiya, this wun work lah!
    You need either 3 different RAW of JPEG file for it (HDR) to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
    I wonder what is your objective for doing this?
    to accomplish HDR?

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    Aiya, this wun work lah!
    You need either 3 different RAW of JPEG file for it (HDR) to work.
    why wouldnt work? i've seen others use this method to create HDR =(

to accomplish HDR?

I meant what is your objective for creating a HDR in this way? I am wondering what are the advantages for doing that.

I meant what is your objective for creating a HDR in this way? I am wondering what are the advantages for doing that.
    it makes it possible to achieve HDR hand-held, it makes it easier to HDR portraits where the subject would not remain still for all 3 shots required, it is also useful in situations where it is windy and where taking 3 seperate shots would cause unwanted blurring of the moving objects and it is also used to ensure uniformity in the final HDR-ed picture.
    Last edited by ReiszRie; 8th February 2007 at 03:53 PM.

"Photoshop creates an HDR file by using the EXIF information from each of your bracketed images to determine their shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings. It then uses this information to assess how much light came from each image region. Since this light may vary greatly in its intensity, Photoshop creates the HDR file using 32-bits to describe each color channel (as opposed to the usual 16 or 8-bits, as discussed in the tutorial on "Understanding Bit Depth"). The real benefit is that HDR files use these extra bits to create a relatively open-ended brightness scale, which can adjust to fit the needs of your image. The important distinction is that these extra bits are used differently than the extra bits in 16-bit images, which instead just define tones more precisely (see tutorials on the "RAW File Format" and "Posterization"). We refer to the usual 8 and 16-bit files as being low dynamic range (LDR) images, relatively speaking."

Taken here. There are LOADS of info on the web.

it works but you need a good sensor. Tried it with my oly E330 raw files and the results are far from the s3pro RAW results.

Currently I think only the fujifilm sensor can do this well.

it makes it possible to achieve HDR hand-held, it makes it easier to HDR portraits where the subject would not remain still for all 3 shots required, it is also useful in situations where it is windy and where taking 3 seperate shots would cause unwanted blurring of the moving objects and it is also used to ensure uniformity in the final HDR-ed picture.
    I know the above text-book answer, but then to create a HDR from the same source image file, isn't it like LPPL? (please excuse my army language)

You are not adding information to the HDR at all. Why not just use the original raw file in 16 bit format. All the details are already there.

For me, HDR only benefits from on-site, multiple EV captures that records all the details from a wide range of brightness levels, over several exposures, then merged into a single 32-bit file that has all that info.

I know the above text-book answer, but then to create a HDR from the same source image file, isn't it like LPPL? (please excuse my army language)

You are not adding information to the HDR at all. Why not just use the original raw file in 16 bit format. All the details are already there.

For me, HDR only benefits from on-site, multiple EV captures that records all the details from a wide range of brightness levels, over several exposures, then merged into a single 32-bit file that has all that info.
    you cannot edit the original raw files in 16 bit format. The only way to work is in 16 bit tiff. I find it hard pressed to squeeze all the available DR in the s3pro into a 16bit tiff. Often I have to develop the raw file with the LOWEST contrast setting with careful setting of the exposure.

Sometimes it is just easier to develop 3 seperate Jpegs and merge them using the HDR function. This is usually simpler than working with a single 16 bit tiff as for a 16 bit tiff, you have to do masking, recover highlights, shadows, to get a nice contrasty picture.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    you cannot edit the original raw files in 16 bit format. The only way to work is in 16 bit tiff. I find it hard pressed to squeeze all the available DR in the s3pro into a 16bit tiff. Often I have to develop the raw file with the LOWEST contrast setting with careful setting of the exposure.

Sometimes it is just easier to develop 3 seperate Jpegs and merge them using the HDR function. This is usually simpler than working with a single 16 bit tiff as for a 16 bit tiff, you have to do masking, recover highlights, shadows, to get a nice contrasty picture.
    I learn something new today.

The final product or judgement of any photo is best viewed when printed out on an actual photo. If you know what u are doing and shoot RAW and processed in ADOBE color and print out in ADOBE color space, it will rival and even surpass the photolab out there.

If you are a perfectionist and want nothing but the best (I owe this to myself, my work and mostly, to my paying customers) in getting the maximum detail in the highlights, midtones & shadows, I would normally shoot 3 RAW frames and HDR to get my master image & shape it into whatever, however I want to express.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post

I learn something new today.
    Bro, we all do.

also, u can do image overlay on nikon SLRs except D40
    stop the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12