Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the function of DOF button on the camera

Default Re: What is the function of DOF button on the camera

Quote Originally Posted by mayday View Post
    Newbie here.

When I press down the DOF Preview button, I do not see any noticeable change in the view thru the viewfinder leh.

Even without pressing the DOF Preview button, I can already see the DOF of my composed shot thru the viewfinder once I depress the shutter-release button halfway to achieve focus lock. For example, if I set the camera to a large aperture setting, I could see that the background becomes blurred out.

So, really, I couldn't tell what additional value can the DOF preview button offer me?
    what camera are you using?

do your viewfinder dim down if your camera shutter release is half press (not the largest f stop been selected)? if not how you know you are seeing the actual DOF?

if you press the DOF preview button, the viewfinder will dim down, unless maximum f stop is being selected, you will able to see the actual DOF of the selected f stop, so the photographer will determine what f stop to use if he want more or less DOF.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    Well I don't actually do that....
    The thing is, most photographers would already anticipate the effects of using a particular setting. The viewfinder is really too small to see the effects anyway.
    I second that...gave up using that since it is too dark so see anything. Now, its all based on experience.

Not too sure if this is true, but I did came across some articles stating that on AVERAGE, a "decent" DSLR would be able to clock 150,000 - 200,000 "clicks" before they UPZ the LORRY. Then again, that refers to the shutter's activation mechanism. not the physical shutter. I guess if we take our due diligence in handling our PRECIOUS, I do not see the cam can't last the full 10 yeards...

Quote Originally Posted by skylab View Post
    hi.. nearer to it's grave because of more shots taken?
    really? what does that mean..

how many shutter counts till a camera is useless... and does that mean the shutter will be spoilt after a certain number?
    The DIFFERENCE is not in the "Cue", it is in the SKILLS...

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    what camera are you using?

do your viewfinder dim down if your camera shutter release is half press (not the largest f stop been selected)? if not how you know you are seeing the actual DOF?

if you press the DOF preview button, the viewfinder will dim down, unless maximum f stop is being selected, you will able to see the actual DOF of the selected f stop, so the photographer will determine what f stop to use if he want more or less DOF.
    I'm shooting with Canon 300d.

Half-pressing the shutter release is just so that the lens can autofocus. I didn't notice any dimming of viewfinder. When I release the shutter and review the picture, the DOF is like what I see thru the viewfinder when I compose the picture lor. All this without having used the DOF preview button.

Have been very curious as to the well all these while. So I did a search and found this thread, and decided to post the question here.

Also...Do you mean that it largest f stop is selected, viewfinder won't dim? Why is that so?

Half-pressing the shutter release is just so that the lens can autofocus. I didn't notice any dimming of viewfinder. When I release the shutter and review the picture, the DOF is like what I see thru the viewfinder when I compose the picture lor. All this without having used the DOF preview button.

Have been very curious as to the well all these while. So I did a search and found this thread, and decided to post the question here.

Also...Do you mean that it largest f stop is selected, viewfinder won't dim? Why is that so?
    Bro. There is no noticed difference in DOF could be because you are shooting at the widest aperture. When you are looking into the viewfinder, the aperture is at it widest. Hence, if the photo is taken at its widest f-stop, then there will not be no difference in the DOF. BTW, the viewfinder will not dim when you press the shutter half way. It will only dim when you preview the scene through the viewfinder using the DOF Preview button at a f-stop other than its widest setting.

try say a f2.8 lens. then u stop down to f11 and press the DOF button. if u cant see the diff then something is wrong with ur eyes
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

BTW, I think 300D does not have a DOF button... does it?

The viewfinder view is at the widest aperture. When stopped down, the DOF is apperantly very different when you press the DOF button. It gives a very rough preview of how the DOF will be like in the final photo.

BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 2nd March 2007 at 05:16 PM.

Canew has already answer you.
    what is the usage of DOF button? is preview, not review.
    long before digital age, during the hay day of film, how photographers want to know the DOF of certain f-stop? they use DOF preview button.

why till today DSLR is keeping the DOF preview button, cos not all photographers will chose to shoot and see the results on the LCD.

Thanks for clearing up my queries, guys.

I guess my doubts were raised on the functionality of the DOF preview button when I didn't observe any noticeable difference because my aperture setting was then at the widest. Shall try again at another aperture setting.

And yes, the 300d does have a DOF Preview Button. I read and re-read the manual on the use of this button, which very simply says it is to give a preview of the DOF of the picture (duh!). I couldn't appreciate the meaning of this then since what I see thru the viewfinder after I've focused the lens, already could give me an idea of the DOF...

Thanks for clearing up my queries, guys.

I guess my doubts were raised on the functionality of the DOF preview button when I didn't observe any noticeable difference because my aperture setting was then at the widest. Shall try again at another aperture setting.

And yes, the 300d does have a DOF Preview Button. I read and re-read the manual on the use of this button, which very simply says it is to give a preview of the DOF of the picture (duh!). I couldn't appreciate the meaning of this then since what I see thru the viewfinder after I've focused the lens, already could give me an idea of the DOF...
    press the DOF preview button and rotate your aperture dial to see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dr34mc4st3r View Post
    try say a f2.8 lens. then u stop down to f11 and press the DOF button. if u cant see the diff then something is wrong with ur eyes
    that's what I did to explain the DOF button and aperture operations to someone sometime back...

when you press the DOF button, what you see should have more DOF if the selected aperture is smaller than max...also, the image should also be darker...one way around this in some cameras is to activate the onboard flash, attach an external flash, or activate the focus assist light...some cameras will use these lighting options to make the scene brighter...in the case of the flash, a series of short bursts will fire off to illuminate the scene, or with the focus assist light it would just switch on...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12