Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the function of DOF button on the camera

Unhappy What is the function of DOF button on the camera

can anyone pls clarify for me what is the purpose of the DOF button on the dSLR camera.

thanks in advance.

Default Re: What is the function of DOF button on the camera

It will close down the aperture blades in the lens so you can see the actual Depth-of-Field for the selected aperture. It will not make any difference to you if your aperture is set at the maximum.

It's a preview button to check how much of your frame will be in sharp focus. Good for creative control before you actually take the picture and save on your shutter count so you don't have to take, review then take again if not satisfied with the results.

On Canon cameras it also sets the external flash off to strobe in low power for about 1 sec, something like a flash preview.

Quote Originally Posted by argonmt View Post
    can anyone pls clarify for me what is the purpose of the DOF button on the dSLR camera.

thanks in advance.
    By the name, it is DOF preview (Depth of Field).

You will see the viewfinder darken (depending on your set aperture), and you can see the Depth of Field for the scene with your set aperture.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Last edited by Artosoft; 7th February 2007 at 01:14 PM.

Actually I think it's a rather useless function.

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    Actually I think it's a rather useless function.
    In this digital age, its value has gone down since you can just shoot over a range and pick the one you want later.

Well I don't actually do that....
    The thing is, most photographers would already anticipate the effects of using a particular setting. The viewfinder is really too small to see the effects anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    Well I don't actually do that....
    The thing is, most photographers would already anticipate the effects of using a particular setting. The viewfinder is really too small to see the effects anyway.
    and...., when you print/view 4R size, the DoF is different from 10R size... .

But, I still believe there is something DoF button can be useful. Like to make sure your lens' aperture is not stuck .

Regards,
    Arto.

I read somewhere suggesting using the DOF button feature to help better gauge and estimate hyperfocal setting...

If one stand at the same distant from the pics, a 4R will have deeper DOF than a 10R rite? It must be printed from the same photo file lah.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    and...., when you print/view 4R size, the DoF is different from 10R size... .

But, I still believe there is something DoF button can be useful. Like to make sure your lens' aperture is not stuck .

Regards,
    Arto.

i find it very useful when using more than 1 strobe and experimenting with flash ratios. There's no other way to visualize the effect of different strobe ratios and positioning.

The only time I use the DOF button is when I am doing macro shooting. The DOF at wide open (the normal viewfinder view) is very shallow in macro shooting, I use to get a rough idea of the DOF of the aperture I am using.

BC

thank you for all the advices..

DOF button enable us to see the actual DOF from viewfinder? If this feature is lacking in the cam, can still see the actual dof from the lcd after pic was taken? What does save your shutter count means? Besides wasting more batt, does it after other things?
    Last edited by Camm; 14th February 2007 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Camm View Post
    DOF button enable us to see the actual DOF from viewfinder? If this feature is lacking in the cam, can still see the actual dof from the lcd after pic was taken? What does save your shutter count means? Besides wasting more batt, does it after other things?
    Shutter count refers to how many time the shutters have been activated, or how many shots have been taken by the camera in other words like mileage of cars. I guess the more shutter counts, the nearer the camera is to its grave.

Yah, the DOF button will temporarily stop down the aperture to the setting you make (say f16) so that you can see the DOF through your optical viewfinder. If you dun press the DOF button, what you see in ya optical viewfinder will always be at the fastest aperture setting of your lens (say f3.5 if you lens fastest opening is f3.5). Thats why usually the optical viewfinder will get dimmer when you press the DOF button (due to smaller aperture) and thats the reason why the cam will set the lens to the fastest aperture during normal shooting (for brighter viewfinder).

When you release the shutter (aka shoot the shot), the cam will stop down the aperture to the setting before releasing the shutter....so you will get the DOF in your pic....which mean you can view the DOF in the LCD after the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Camm View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zhiliang View Post
    Shutter count refers to how many time the shutters have been activated, or how many shots have been taken by the camera in other words like mileage of cars. I guess the more shutter counts, the nearer the camera is to its grave.
    hi.. nearer to it's grave because of more shots taken?
    really? what does that mean..

how many shutter counts till a camera is useless... and does that mean the shutter will be spoilt after a certain number?

Quote Originally Posted by skylab View Post
    hi.. nearer to it's grave because of more shots taken?
    really? what does that mean..

how many shutter counts till a camera is useless... and does that mean the shutter will be spoilt after a certain number?
    I am not too sure but heard that its like lifespan or life expectancy of the shutter and it varies from different brands of cameras, but i dont think its fixed la, electrical things can spoil anytime. Thats why same like buying cars, when we buy second hand cameras will also check the shutter count of the previous user. But anyway, it shouldn't be a limit or factor against you taking more shots or bracketing exposures.

Newbie here.

When I press down the DOF Preview button, I do not see any noticeable change in the view thru the viewfinder leh.

Even without pressing the DOF Preview button, I can already see the DOF of my composed shot thru the viewfinder once I depress the shutter-release button halfway to achieve focus lock. For example, if I set the camera to a large aperture setting, I could see that the background becomes blurred out.

So, really, I couldn't tell what additional value can the DOF preview button offer me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast