Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Singnet Sucks!

Default Re: Singnet Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    Ha, ha...you're not the only one. We had a problem with one of our hard drives in a Raid 5 array. My colleague took out the faulty disk to replace it and as he turned to pick up the new disk, had his lanyard catch onto the lever of one of the other drives and pull it open...
    always shutdown your server when u change hdd, although they say it's hotswap. for my case before i could poweroff the IBM guy pulled out the faulty hdd and immediately another hdd turn orange, he tried to restore back the hdds to let me copy out the data but it was gone, and IBM took 6 hours to get another hdd to replace, + another few hours for me to reinstall OS, oracle and retrieve from backup, wasted my 31st Dec

Quote Originally Posted by quekky View Post
    always shutdown your server when u change hdd, although they say it's hotswap. for my case before i could poweroff the IBM guy pulled out the faulty hdd and immediately another hdd turn orange, he tried to restore back the hdds to let me copy out the data but it was gone, and IBM took 6 hours to get another hdd to replace, + another few hours for me to reinstall OS, oracle and retrieve from backup, wasted my 31st Dec
    tt's so unpro of i-b-m personnel.. make them compensate u..

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz View Post
    lol...torrents...u gt config ur bt client or nt...if u nv...then u do some tweaking...n BT is depending on seeders n peers uploading speed...i can bt max 200KBps fm my 1500kbps connection...
    depends on server and seeders and day or nite time condition also..

anyone uses Singtel ADSL broadband?
    Just signed up for it... only gave me username... password not indicated.
    Wats e default password?

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    anyone uses Singtel ADSL broadband?
    Just signed up for it... only gave me username... password not indicated.
    Wats e default password?
    i rcv my password at the SN counter...

Sigh... the body has barely turned cold, and then another one bites the dust!

OK. These few nights, I have been experiencing very bad and erratic connection speeds. When I ping the singtel pop server, between 25-70% of the packets were lost in most cases. Hence the failure rate for mail download is high, especially those with large attachments. Usually mail downloads take many attempts to be successful. Speed can go down to about 150K or lower. Surfing has become unbearable.

But then again... sometimes, the connection would be really good, with speeds exceeding 512K.

No... I don't think it's my modem, router, or wireless connection because I have tested these.

So, I called the infamous Singnet hotline. A Malay lady picked up the line and started suggesting that it's my wireless connection that's the problem. No... that's not the problem because I just checked by connecting via ethernet. In the end, she suggested that she will send the omnipotent linesman to the rescue.

Both my wife and I work, so only weekends are available. The nearest suitable date is again about 2 weeks away, on 6 May.

Sigh... things were fine for close to 2 months. I guess I should be thankful for that. I thought Singnet would at least have operational efficiency going for them, since their service sucks big time... Guess I was wrong.

I think the super-linesmen should start work later in the morning, but work until 8, so that working folks can enjoy their service.

Just to let all of you know... the skinny red man is not that hot. I have a feeling the fat green guy is more reliable.

Now starhub products and tech support not bad.. should change from red to green.. hehe..

Now for some closure to the problems I had.

I experienced (1) frequent disconnection (2) failure to connect and (3) slow download/upload speed for the week of 23 Apr. The problem persisted for about a week, and calls to the technical helpdesk did not help. They only wanted to arrange for the linesman to come to my home to diagnose the problem, even though I tell them that the ADSL signal was excellent.

At around 1 May, the problem went away for some strange reason. However, Singnet did not want to tell me what went wrong. They told me to wait for the linesman to come to my home, even though I tell them that there is nothing wrong with the line since the ADSL signal has always been strong.

On 6 May, the linesman came. Guess what he concluded? The ADSL signal was excellent! He also told me that the linesmen appointments get booked very quickly nowadays because there has been a lot of problem with MIO. That's why I had to wait 2 weeks before he could come to my home. Also, he said that the front-line operators are only mail boxes with minimal diagnostic skills. They will just forward the problems to the ADSL people for solutions after we put down the phone. I asked him why they did not hire more qualified people... His reply was... technically qualified people don't usually have the patience to sit in front of the phone to answer customer queries, so it is very difficult to keep them. Hence Singnet's solution was to hire these operators and give them just about enough knowledge to do basic diagnostics and forward the problems to qualified people.

Anyway... since the connection has been ok for a week, I don't really have a problem anymore. SingNet also agreed to waive 10 days of broadband charges to compensate me for loss of use.

So that's it. Case closed for now.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456