Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Singnet Sucks!

Default Re: Singnet Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by quekky View Post
    8 x 400GB raid 6 anyone? the price of 400GB is cheap at $200 now

EX8350 is really cheap and great for raid 6, been using in office for the past year
    how does raid 6 work can share your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    It works by calculating and recording 2 sets of parity instead of one. In theory this is supposed to increase your chances of a full recovery with raid arrays that are composed of very large hard drives. In addition, it is also supposed to be able to survive 2 simultaneous drive failures instead of 1.

I've found that it is somewhat slower when writing data but this is probably due to the need to calculate 2 sets of parity.

_

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    It works by calculating and recording 2 sets of parity instead of one. In theory this is supposed to increase your chances of a full recovery with raid arrays that are composed of very large hard drives. In addition, it is also supposed to be able to survive 2 simultaneous drive failures instead of 1.

I've found that it is somewhat slower when writing data but this is probably due to the need to calculate 2 sets of parity.

_
    Thanks deadpixel.

so it will need N+2 spare.

Cheers

8 x 400GB raid 6 anyone? the price of 400GB is cheap at $200 now

EX8350 is really cheap and great for raid 6, been using in office for the past year
    Was thinking of this but am torn between getting more storage and getting my TS lens ... maybe I can compromise and get a Russian TS lens and also get more storage ...

_

Was thinking of this but am torn between getting more storage and getting my TS lens ... maybe I can compromise and get a Russian TS lens and also get more storage ...

_
    or it could be time to work more jobs to earn more funds for storage n lens liao~~ hehe

The saga continues...

I need to do a recontract. So, I tried to do it online. Guess what... the default information on the recontract pages were wrong. So, I called 1610, and I was told that someone from their recontract team will call me. A couple of days later (Why am I not surprised?) I received a call from their recontract team. They said that since the information was wrong, I needed to send in a fax to recontract. So, I diligently filled in the fax and sent it in. After that, I received another call to tell me that they did not receive all the pages for the fax, so they will do a recontract by phone. After starting their recording machine, the lady asked me all these questions, then she 'discovered' that the information in the system was wrong!!! (Which was why I sent in the fax in the first place!!!) She told me that I had to call a certain number to correct the information before I can complete the recontract. That's when I lost it! Then she offered to help me correct the information herself. I guess I should thank her for it?

Talk about bad service!
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 15th February 2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Add a couple of things...

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    The saga continues...

I need to do a recontract. So, I tried to do it online. Guess what... the default information on the recontract pages were wrong. So, I called 1610, and I was told that someone from their recontract team will call me. A couple of days later (Why am I not surprised?) I received a call from their recontract team. They said that since the information was wrong, I needed to send in a fax to recontract. So, I diligently filled in the fax and sent it in. After that, I received another call to tell me that they did not receive all the pages for the fax, so they will do a recontract by phone. After starting their recording machine, the lady asked me all these questions, then she 'discovered' that the information in the system was wrong!!! (Which was why I sent in the fax in the first place!!!) She told me that I had to call a certain number to correct the information before I can complete the recontract. That's when I lost it! Then she offered to help me correct the information herself. I guess I should thank her for it?

Talk about bad service!
    wow, that is really unforgiveable
    tsk

_
    actually the speed of EX8350 is faster than our usual mobo with single hdd
    Last edited by quekky; 15th February 2007 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    in raid 5, when a hdd fails, u need to replace. sometimes it takes a few hours to rebuild the replaced hdd. what if at this time another hdd decide to fail?

happens to me once, lost the data and OS and i have to reinstall the OS and oracle and retreive the data from backup

in raid 5, when a hdd fails, u need to replace. sometimes it takes a few hours to rebuild the replaced hdd. what if at this time another hdd decide to fail?

happens to me once, lost the data and OS and i have to reinstall the OS and oracle and retreive the data from backup
    Ha, ha...you're not the only one. We had a problem with one of our hard drives in a Raid 5 array. My colleague took out the faulty disk to replace it and as he turned to pick up the new disk, had his lanyard catch onto the lever of one of the other drives and pull it open...

I totally agree....I was upgraded from 512mb package to 1500mpb.
    Hey, I dun feel any difference!
    anybody feel that singnet loads slower nowdays?
    And they always have this sorry for slow downloads notice at their website...what the hell, saw the notice so long ago and dun tell me they haven fix it?
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

Quote Originally Posted by jnifur View Post
    And they always have this sorry for slow downloads notice at their website...what the hell, saw the notice so long ago and dun tell me they haven fix it?
    My dl still snailing these days.. Complain to them also useless.. Ask me to recontract? I dun think so.. Looking out for better ISP deals out there..

Quote Originally Posted by jnifur View Post
    my torrent is snailing, but web download looks good. with no problem getting 300KB/s from adobe with my 3500kbps plan.

lol...torrents...u gt config ur bt client or nt...if u nv...then u do some tweaking...n BT is depending on seeders n peers uploading speed...i can bt max 200KBps fm my 1500kbps connection...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz View Post
    lol...torrents...u gt config ur bt client or nt...if u nv...then u do some tweaking...n BT is depending on seeders n peers uploading speed...i can bt max 200KBps fm my 1500kbps connection...
    its already configured... most probably due to the seeder... i use to get much higher spd in the past, until the earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    its already configured... most probably due to the seeder... i use to get much higher spd in the past, until the earthquake.
    should b restored liao lel...80% restored liao...u gt configure correctly or nt?
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

should b restored liao lel...80% restored liao...u gt configure correctly or nt?
    yup, cfm.

yup, cfm.
    hehe...mayb u 1 to post ur config let me see...see if i can help or nt...n wat connectiong u using...

during earthquake tat period...i could oso max out my connection via BT...
    Last edited by dreamerz; 16th February 2007 at 04:41 PM.
    My Site

hehe...mayb u 1 to post ur config let me see...see if i can help or nt...n wat connectiong u using...
    configuration is definitely correct, as sometimes i get 100+KB/s or even 200+, but most time of the day its snailing...
    if configuration is wrong, i don think i can achieve that sudden burst.

i think most probably wrong with the seeder side (china area)...

configuration is definitely correct, as sometimes i get 100+KB/s or even 200+, but most time of the day its snailing...
    if configuration is wrong, i don think i can achieve that sudden burst.

i think most probably wrong with the seeder side (china area)...
    icic...remember to set encryption to on in ur client...n if possible set max_halfopen to 50...n patch TCP/IP.sys
    My Site

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast