Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: question> Dry-Cabinet or Dry-Box?

Default Re: question> Dry-Cabinet or Dry-Box?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    And you can get too low humidity too. You can't control the gels.
    Yes, you can do easily: adjust the amount of gel, use a separate well calibrated RH meter.........

HS

Easier, get a dry Cabinet. ReiszRie, good choice you have made!!! You can close the thread now.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    i guess i'll be getting a dry cabi then.... $138 for a 40litres digitally controlled dry cabi.
    might wana consider a larger one, in case need more space in future.

Yep, always cater for future expansion.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Bought a 40L, then 80L, then 100L! And now thinking of another 100L!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Don't understand the question. Cost of Dry Cabi VS what again? There's no contrasting subject in the question. What are you comparing here?
    The comparison is the cost of a dry cab, against the potential repair/service cost of damage from fungus growth in your equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    The comparison is the cost of a dry cab, against the potential repair/service cost of damage from fungus growth in your equipment.
    You must be specific. Some may say fungus will not growth in photography gears if they are keep in dry cab .

Regards,
    Arto.

the only time it will grow fungi is when your humidity is set too high. Usually cameras, Vcam and lenses can set about 40-50 RH. Any lower u risk your moving parts lubrication as well as brittleness...but that only happens if u put very long.

Slides, negs it can go lower, 30-40 RH still ok. The rest I put it as 50 RH.

My 2nd cabi did a change of the motor before...apparently the company was about the close down on that day I went to change....he say no one bring back for repair and SG market so many dry-cabi manufacturer so no biz end up wind down.

I also use those rechargable silica gel that once u pluck into the power adaptor, it gets heated up and dries them. No need oven. But I use those for my clothes and not the more expensive gadgets.

If u turn on the air-con and set to low humidity, I guess your stuffs should be relatively in good hands. Like my study I on it every day, so even when my cam is outside for 1 month, its still mould free but not dust free lah. If u have a humidity meter, u can fix one near your door. Once u on the air-con, u can then see the meter more accurately. Mine is usually about 30RH. So its more than enough for your cam also.

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    You dun have to worry too much over power consumption. The unit would cut off when the %RH has been reached. And besides, it's consumption is low. 5W
    IIRC.
    So does it mean that when the RH is reached, the RH can be maintained after I switch off the power,provided the dry cabinet door is not opened.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    So does it mean that when the RH is reached, the RH can be maintained after I switch off the power,provided the dry cabinet door is not opened.
    From my experience and an experiment before, the %RH will still increase after switching off the power.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    If the door is well sealed, the RH is well maintained after you switch off the power.

But in many cases, it fail.

Regards,
    Arto.

join this discussion =) i used to think of getting a dry cabinet, but now i think a dry box may do a good enough job for me, since it is much cheaper and easy to move.

By the way, usually the silicon gel will turn blue once it had absorbed the moisture in air right? so what is the amount i need to put for a dry box? can i put as many as silicon gel i can?

Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    join this discussion =) i used to think of getting a dry cabinet, but now i think a dry box may do a good enough job for me, since it is much cheaper and easy to move.

By the way, usually the silicon gel will turn blue once it had absorbed the moisture in air right? so what is the amount i need to put for a dry box? can i put as many as silicon gel i can?
    Silica Gel, not Silicon Gel.... . Silicon gel... ...

This 'carcinogen' blue silica gel will turn into pink color when absorbed moisture in air.

Regards,
    Arto.

ha..yeah, not silicon gel, ha.

By the way..if i put too many silica gel, will it get so dry to damage lense and camera?

Talking Re: question> Dry-Cabinet or Dry-Box?

Possible. So get a Cabinet.
    APAD | Blog

ha..yeah, not silicon gel, ha.

By the way..if i put too many silica gel, will it get so dry to damage lense and camera?
    too dry and the lubrication and/or rubber parts might dry up.

If possible, get a dry cabi.

so how about getting a moisture meter and put in the dry box together? for me, film camera body and few lense, a dry box may serve the purpose.. i feel that the dry cabinet is quite big..and spending $100 more.. yet the dry box..less than $30 will do.

so how about getting a moisture meter and put in the dry box together? for me, film camera body and few lense, a dry box may serve the purpose.. i feel that the dry cabinet is quite big..and spending $100 more.. yet the dry box..less than $30 will do.
    For the time and effort saved buying a dry cabi, the difference is worth it.

What's the point of knowing the moisture without means of adjusting it? Again, what is $100 compared to your equipment value?
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Silica Gel, not Silicon Gel.... . Silicon gel... ...

This 'carcinogen' blue silica gel will turn into pink color when absorbed moisture in air.

Regards,
    Arto.
    To add on... you won't know wat the leve of humidity the box contents are at... it may not turn pink yet, but the humidity level may have already risen up to a dangerous level...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast