Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Aspect Ratio

  1. #1

    Default Aspect Ratio

    I'm using fx50 and there are 3 aspect ratio to choose from, 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9.

    Which aspect ratio is recommended?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Quote Originally Posted by Success View Post
    I'm using fx50 and there are 3 aspect ratio to choose from, 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9.

    Which aspect ratio is recommended?
    It depends on what you want to do with the image.

    Conventional TV screen or monitor is 4:3.

    4R prints are 3:2.

    Newer wide-screen TV or monitor is 16:9.

    BC

  3. #3

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Quote Originally Posted by Success View Post
    I'm using fx50 and there are 3 aspect ratio to choose from, 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9.

    Which aspect ratio is recommended?
    Also, see which one gives you the highest resolution, the other 2 are probably cropped from the native aspect ratio.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    You mean the way to choose is to see which one gives the highest resolution?

    Are there any other factors to consider other than viewing on TV or monitor?

    I mean, does it affect if I am to develop the photos to hard copies?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Quote Originally Posted by Success View Post
    You mean the way to choose is to see which one gives the highest resolution?

    Are there any other factors to consider other than viewing on TV or monitor?

    I mean, does it affect if I am to develop the photos to hard copies?
    What is your intended hard copies size? If you stick to 4R, it is better to use 3:2 ratio.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Quote Originally Posted by Success View Post
    You mean the way to choose is to see which one gives the highest resolution?

    Are there any other factors to consider other than viewing on TV or monitor?

    I mean, does it affect if I am to develop the photos to hard copies?
    The reason why I made this choice is because if I need any other aspect ratio, I could just crop the sides off. When printing you will have a choice whether to fit the image in, so there may be some white borders or to fill the whole paper with the centre crop of your image.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Is the 28mm wide angle feature of fx50 for all aspect ratios or does it only applies to 16:9?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Quote Originally Posted by Success View Post
    Is the 28mm wide angle feature of fx50 for all aspect ratios or does it only applies to 16:9?
    Wide angle of the lens has nothing to do with the aspect ratio.

    BC

  9. #9

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Quote Originally Posted by Success View Post
    Is the 28mm wide angle feature of fx50 for all aspect ratios or does it only applies to 16:9?
    On my LX-2 it's only for 16:9. The 3:2 and 4:3 are cropped from the 16:9 so it's no longer as wide.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    yup, I read somewhere that the wide angle feature for the LX series is only for 16:9. So do you take in 16:9 most of the time?

    What about fx50? Is the wide angle for all aspects?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Quote Originally Posted by Success View Post
    yup, I read somewhere that the wide angle feature for the LX series is only for 16:9. So do you take in 16:9 most of the time?

    What about fx50? Is the wide angle for all aspects?
    Yeah.. I shoot at 16:9 most of the time.. any other aspect ratio I could just crop myself. I'm not familiar with the FX50.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    For FZ-50, the highest resolution is in 4:3 format. I believe that the sensor is also in 4:3 format.

    4:3 - 3648 x 2736 pixels
    3:2 - 3600 x 2400 pixels
    16:9 - 3584 x 2016 pixels

    Not very huge difference in terms of wide angle. But technically, the widest is in 4:3 ratio.

    This is the first time I realised that there are 16:9 sensors. I guess for LX2 the aspect ratio does indeed make a significant difference in the wide angle.

    BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 9th February 2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Correcting from "FX-50" to "FZ-50"

  13. #13

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    For FX-50, the highest resolution is in 4:3 format. I believe that the sensor is also in 4:3 format.

    4:3 - 3648 x 2736 pixels
    3:2 - 3600 x 2400 pixels
    16:9 - 3584 x 2016 pixels

    Not very huge difference in terms of wide angle. But technically, the widest is in 4:3 ratio.

    This is the first time I realised that there are 16:9 sensors. I guess for LX2 the aspect ratio does indeed make a significant difference in the wide angle.

    BC
    If the sensor is native 4:3, then to get 16:9 would be cropping the top and bottom, this would not impact the horizontal angle of coverage. So in this case, TS should shoot at 4:3 and if you need any other aspect ratio, just crop it later yourself.

    Yes, the LX-2 is using a 16:9 sensor.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 7th February 2007 at 05:48 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Do you mean fx50 native aspect ratio is 4:3?

    What is TS?

    Thanks for all the advice guys. Have been shooting with various cameras but never really go and learn about the more technical details. I'm still learning and have more to learn.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Scaglietti already answered my question. Overlook it earlier. Thanks.

    These are fx50 ratios and sizes

    4:3 Aspect:
    3,072 x 2,304 pixels,
    2,560 x 1,920 pixels,
    2,048 x 1,536 pixels,
    1,600 x 1,200 pixels,
    1,280 x 960 pixels,
    640 x 480 pixels

    3:2 Aspect:
    3,072 x 2,048 pixels,
    2,048 x 1,360 pixels

    16:9 Aspect:
    3,072 x 1,728 pixels,
    1,920 x 1,080 pixels

  16. #16

    Default Re: Aspect Ratio

    Quote Originally Posted by Success View Post
    Do you mean fx50 native aspect ratio is 4:3?

    What is TS?

    Thanks for all the advice guys. Have been shooting with various cameras but never really go and learn about the more technical details. I'm still learning and have more to learn.
    Yes, you can easily see that the 16:9 is obtained by cropping the top and bottom of the 4:3 image because the vertical resolution is reduced while the horizontal remains the same.

    TS - thread starter, ie you.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •