Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Having steady hands - How?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Guilin of Spore
    Posts
    381

    Default Having steady hands - How?

    OK..I dunno if this is the correct forum to ask this...

    But how do u all "steadies" your digicam?

    I understand abt the tripod theory and stuff, but I do believe there will be occasions u need to take a shot with just ur bare hands (and ur cam).


    So, is there ways to "steadies" your digicam? Training the arms perhaps?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    My problem:

    I own a Panasonic FZ50. I just relieased that my photos aint sharp and v blur. Its only my friend who noticed that my hands are shaking a little even when I am holding a plastic fork.

    I wonders if this got to do with my fatness..long time never execise since Army....long time never do push up or chin up....

    So I am wondering if anyone who also suffer the same fate like me (read : having unsteady hands) and solutions to resolve this..

    Thanks in advance....
    Last edited by cjl; 5th February 2007 at 05:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    OK..I dunno if this is the correct forum to ask this...

    But how do u all "steadies" your digicam?

    I understand abt the tripod theory and stuff, but I do believe there will be occasions u need to take a shot with just ur bare hands (and ur cam)

    So, is there ways to "steadies" your digicam? Training the arms perhaps?

    Thanks in advance....
    Use your bodies...

    hold the camera close to your body and your arms will be held tighter and firmer... Else use objects to rest on... This is actually quite like firing a fire-arm, most of the guys who went thru NS would have some idea on what I'm talking about.

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    make sure you're not hungry.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    well, one of ways that works especially well for me is to simply not frame your picture for too long... in other-words, know what you're gonna shoot and when you do, bring up the camera take a breath, exhale and shoot.

    the longer you spend holding up the camera to your face, the more prone you are to hand-shakiness.

    still, ultimately its to the individual, some are born with rock steady hands, others arent.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Breathing technique: this is what I learnt in the army, take in full breath and slowly let go one third, hold your breath while firing (shoting).

  6. #6

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    1) Try to get a support
    - leaning sideway on pillar, tree etc
    - table under elbows
    - prone using bag as support for camera

    2) Tuck elbows close to body and press camera onto face (flat nose warning )

    2) Use heavier equiment

    3) Take in half breath when pressing shutter

    4) Use VR

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Don't drunk and shoot.

    Avoid caffeine as it make heart beat faster.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  8. #8
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    make sure you're not hungry.
    i agree with this...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Quote Originally Posted by poh6702 View Post
    Breathing technique: this is what I learnt in the army, take in full breath and slowly let go one third, hold your breath while firing (shoting).
    thanks bro. now you make me feel like i am holding an M16, everytime i hold my camera!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Don't drunk and shoot.

    Avoid caffeine as it make heart beat faster.

    Regards,
    Arto.
    Oh no... I drink coffee like drink water like that...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Get an stabilized lens. (IS or VR).

    Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    thanks bro. now you make me feel like i am holding an M16, everytime i hold my camera!
    No seriously, it does work. Apply the fundamentals you learn in NS for shooting a rifle to photography. This is especially true when handholding long lens of 200mm and above. Besides the reciprocal rule for handholding (1/focal length), you need to exercise good breathing technique, good posture/stance, lock your arms into position etc. Also not to "snap" or "jerk" on the shutter button but squeeze gently and follow through smoothly.

  12. #12
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Get an stabilized lens. (IS or VR).

    No seriously, it does work. Apply the fundamentals you learn in NS for shooting a rifle to photography. This is especially true when handholding long lens of 200mm and above. Besides the reciprocal rule for handholding (1/focal length), you need to exercise good breathing technique, good posture/stance, lock your arms into position etc. Also not to "snap" or "jerk" on the shutter button but squeeze gently and follow through smoothly.
    this i agree...cause i also do that...

  13. #13
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Quote Originally Posted by Youhong View Post
    Oh no... I drink coffee like drink water like that...

  14. #14
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    1.) Hold camera as close to face as possible (best is to press viewfinder eyepiece to eye)
    2.) Open both eyes to compose picture
    3.) Breathing technique
    4.) Find support whenever possible (rest your arms or body onto walls or pillars)
    5.) Hold on longer than required, do not depend on the sound of your shutter

    Hope all this helps.
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    When I take insect photography, I will look out for insects at squatting level. When I squat, I use use my elbows to rest on my knees to give support for my camera. Hope this help too ...

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Guilin of Spore
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    make sure you're not hungry.
    Why is this so ah? Stomach movements will shake ur cam?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Guilin of Spore
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Don't drunk and shoot.

    Avoid caffeine as it make heart beat faster.

    Regards,
    Arto.
    ok...point take on the caffeine part...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Guilin of Spore
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    1.) Hold camera as close to face as possible (best is to press viewfinder eyepiece to eye)
    2.) Open both eyes to compose picture
    3.) Breathing technique
    4.) Find support whenever possible (rest your arms or body onto walls or pillars)
    5.) Hold on longer than required, do not depend on the sound of your shutter

    Hope all this helps.
    Isnt it a bit diff to open both eyes? like that wont become bobo shooter?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Guilin of Spore
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Get an stabilized lens. (IS or VR).

    No seriously, it does work. Apply the fundamentals you learn in NS for shooting a rifle to photography. This is especially true when handholding long lens of 200mm and above. Besides the reciprocal rule for handholding (1/focal length), you need to exercise good breathing technique, good posture/stance, lock your arms into position etc. Also not to "snap" or "jerk" on the shutter button but squeeze gently and follow through smoothly.
    M16 is heavy and long..but a digicam of that weight!?

    I did apply the M16 technique on my digicam shooting (Was a markman.. )..but it seems I cant solve the "blur" in my pic..even with O.I.S. on...

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Having steady hands - How?

    Another trick is to clap both hands once before you do precision soldering on electronics.
    Err..., can it be used for steady hands in photography? We need Guinea Pig here .

    Regards,
    Arto.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •