I am flying to Paris this sat for training and will stay till end of March before going for vacation in Italy for 2 weeks in April. Actually this is a followup from the thread I posted couple of months back but I tot it will be better to reorganise my ideas and questions in a new thread. Wish I had a Lonely Planet book to look at but dun think I can get one in Sumatra now...will try to buy it in France.
1. Need some advice on the accomodation to stay in. I need somewhere clean and safe basically...in Australia for example,self-contained apartments are one of the best places to stay in for tourists and the price is decent...what about Europe? What kinda accom would be cheap and safe, clean? Do we need to book beforehand? I would most prob be travelling alone or in pairs.
More specifically, I would hope to get specific accomodation recommendations from fellow CSers on these places and the rough prices and tariffs,
For France, Marseille,Cannes,Lyon, Normandy.
For UK, London.
For Italy, Rome, Pisa, Florence,Venice, Lake Como, Naples, Sorrento, Pompei, Cinque Terre, along the Amalfi Coast
If you have stayed at the above places would love to know which hotels u stayed in.
2. I am trying to find if I require visa to visit Italy. I did not apply for a visa to France as its not needed if you stay in there for less than 3 months. I checked http://www.italyemb.org.sg/visa.htm and it only gives visa info for PRs...what about singapore citizens? Do we need the Schengen Visa to enter Italy and other countries of the EU?
3. For Italy and these places, Rome, Pisa, Florence,Venice, Lake Como, Naples, Sorrento, Pompei, Cinque Terre, Positano, along the Amalfi Coast...how many days would be recommended and sufficient for each place? If you have any suggestions on the route from Paris through these places,would love to get your advice.
4. Anyone rented a car in Italy before and hows the traffic there a? I am planning to drive in certain places so that its faster to move from scenic spot to another rather than relying on the local transport...especially in the smaller quaint towns.Is Hertz again the best choice?
5. I will be going to London over the weekends...prob go on Friday night and come back on Friday night...is taking the Eurostar the cheapest and best choice?
Oh well... ...I guess thats about it for now...would really appreciate all comments..