Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HDB/Condo dwellers: Do your towels turn black?

Default HDB/Condo dwellers: Do your towels turn black?

Hi all,

Those who love in flats who do not sun-dry their clothes, particularly towels... do you notice that they turn black in patches over time? Like there's some fungus growing or something after a while? Noticed this happenning for some time now and always attributed it to the fact that I dry my clothes indoors. Is there a way to prevent this short of hanging them out the window on poles? (Don't do it because dunno what ppl upstairs throw out their windows, and we're not home most of the time). Never had this problem living in my mum's place where we would hang the clothes outside in the sun..

Default Re: HDB/Condo dwellers: Do your towels turn black?

dun have leh, maybe put them at somewhere windy

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    Hi all,

Those who love in flats who do not sun-dry their clothes, particularly towels... do you notice that they turn black in patches over time? Like there's some fungus growing or something after a while? Noticed this happenning for some time now and always attributed it to the fact that I dry my clothes indoors. Is there a way to prevent this short of hanging them out the window on poles? (Don't do it because dunno what ppl upstairs throw out their windows, and we're not home most of the time). Never had this problem living in my mum's place where we would hang the clothes outside in the sun..
    Maybe your washing machine does not dry your clothes enough? Or the washing detergent is not good? For me I use Top brand and it does not have this problem and somemore I air-dryed my clothes (I dun even hang my clothes outside).
    Hope it helps!

Hmmm, strange why some ppl get and some don't. Some of my colleagues living in HDB also reports this problem. Maybe its a problem with top loading washing machines, doesn't rinse well enough? Or maybe I have to change brand of detergent

I'm using front load and separate box for dryer. nope. for bath towel, didn't turn black. but for face towel, a bit black, small portion of dirt

my towels frequently turn black... i also dunno why is that so, in particular the white towels that i used all turn black.... and the black patches is very very big.... i threw a lot away... even washing with detergent doesnt remove the black stuffs

surprisingly, only my army large green towels never turn black. I dunno why?
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Hi all,

The sunlight has something that kills some organisms.
    I think the black patch is a form of Fungi.
    Fungi grows where there is no sunlight.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 4th February 2007 at 04:23 PM.

eh wanna ask, why dont you sundry your towel? anyway i only have one case similar to your problem is when my SAF towel shows patches of light yellow or light green...but its not like it is anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    eh wanna ask, why dont you sundry your towel? anyway i only have one case similar to your problem is when my SAF towel shows patches of light yellow or light green...but its not like it is anything...
    HEY YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!! my army green towel show the loght yellow/orangey patch, but its not black patches which is suffered by other towels....

is the yellow patch also fungus?? or is it discolouring?

Side track: It's all because of our ELITE gahmen telling us to conserve water, and me being a peasant, of course listened to the ELITES. After i bathe, i wiped my body, then i hang it up to dry, then i use the towel at night when i bathe again, then i hang up dry, then i reuse the towel the next day, and i reuse the towel the next next day and i reuse the towel the next next next day and so on, i use a towel for 1 week before i wash it. [no joke, i really do this]

see, wat a faithful peasant i am. I m not as rich as the ELITES to wash towels after every use.
    Last edited by kcuf2; 4th February 2007 at 04:47 PM.

i think just discoloring lah ... lightly bleach abit of your army towel .. will appear similar .. mine kenna liao .. hahaha ...

my other towels, after a LONG time ... have small black dots ... den the dots become holes ... :S ... kenna some underwear also .. :S ... only those 2 .. and i SUN-DRY my clothes ..

actually i love my army towels a lot.... i should have bought a lot a lot a lot a lot of them last time... when i still have the 11b credits... argh.... i only bought 7 when i ord...

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Well, staying in a HDB means putting it on a pole and suspending it outside your window. Two reasons I don't do this:

1. Most of the time nobody is at home, especially on the weekdays as wife and I at work

2. I'm not on the top floor of the flat, and I've seen people dusting their carpets, tapping their cigarette ashes, throwing stuff down etc from the higher floors of HDB before. Don't want my clothes to be dirtier than before I washed them

I think investing in a dryer is a good option. My colleague who uses one also says don't get this problem. Maybe indoor drying and damp clothes breed fungus, unlike clothes which are sun-dried that get the fungus killed off by UV

Yes! I get these black spots appearing on my towels. And I dry my clothes indoor.
    These black spots seem very selective. I've also lost a favourite long-sleeved t-shirt to it. But most of my other clothes seem unaffected. I'm guessing towels are more vulnerable as they are hung in the bathroom, which are generally more humid and warmer.

I have considered getting a dryer for the clothes, but those things take up a huge amount of space...I haven't figured out where to put it.

Gymrat, Invest in a heavy duty dryer and all problems solved. I have been using dryer since "donkey years" no problems with white towels. When dryer needs repair, towels kept indoor for drying emits a certain smell

Smile Re: HDB/Condo dwellers: Do your towels turn black?

i do get them on my white face towels. not black, but purple.

Hi all,

Last edited by reachme2003; 4th February 2007 at 10:34 PM.

no leh. I use Amway (SA8) detergent. wont have the wierd smell even if i i only air dry it.

mine do..lots of black spots on some towels...
    eat. drink. shoot

sama sama, wonder wat's e cause...

Put your towers in dry box sure no problem!!!

Well, staying in a HDB means putting it on a pole and suspending it outside your window. Two reasons I don't do this:

1. Most of the time nobody is at home, especially on the weekdays as wife and I at work

2. I'm not on the top floor of the flat, and I've seen people dusting their carpets, tapping their cigarette ashes, throwing stuff down etc from the higher floors of HDB before. Don't want my clothes to be dirtier than before I washed them

I think investing in a dryer is a good option. My colleague who uses one also says don't get this problem. Maybe indoor drying and damp clothes breed fungus, unlike clothes which are sun-dried that get the fungus killed off by UV
    which part of singapore do you live at?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast