Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mac user

Default New Mac user

I've taken the plunge again. As some of you might know, I bought a Macbook a couple of months ago and within 5 mins of usage, encountered problems so bad that I got it refunded.

Now I've got the itch and got myself a Macbook again. So far so good, charging liao no more problems with the transformer. So CSers with a Mac, what are some of the things I should take note 1st or do 1st?

TIA.

*Cross fingers no problems*

Default Re: New Mac user

Quote Originally Posted by Golgotha View Post
    I've taken the plunge again. As some of you might know, I bought a Macbook a couple of months ago and within 5 mins of usage, encountered problems so bad that I got it refunded.

Now I've got the itch and got myself a Macbook again. So far so good, charging liao no more problems with the transformer. So CSers with a Mac, what are some of the things I should take note 1st or do 1st?

TIA.

*Cross fingers no problems*
    load up with antivirus, antispyware, anti-malware, anti-spam, anti-adware software, powerful third party firewall and constantly update your OS.

oh wait, that's for the Windows platform (if you are installing via Bootcamp or Parellels )

you can do a battery calibration for the MacBook to keep the battery reading accurate (search ard for instructions) =)

all the best to your Mac experience!

Thanks!

i found out about the batt calibration after i charged my batt..............
    anyway i'm having problems logging on to my internet........dunno wat's wrong or what i did wrong.

Hi Golgotha,

Long time no see ... you may wish to download VMware Fusion (free) and load Win XP without needing BootCamp. It runs as a session within your Mac, pretty cool.
    EOS30D|Tamron17-50f2.8|EF50f1.8MkI|EF50f1.4|Cosina28-80f3.5-4.5Macro|Voigtlander APO125f2.5 (sold)

Yup long time no see . really? Is it something like Parallels?

Thanks!

i found out about the batt calibration after i charged my batt..............
    anyway i'm having problems logging on to my internet........dunno wat's wrong or what i did wrong.
    no worries, i never calibrated my office's macbook pro either

you are connecting wireless via router, or.. ?

Send me a mail if you need anything, will share them with you if I have ...
    EOS30D|Tamron17-50f2.8|EF50f1.8MkI|EF50f1.4|Cosina28-80f3.5-4.5Macro|Voigtlander APO125f2.5 (sold)

Welcome to Mac World. I too had major problems when I converted, especially without the right click; felt like a handicap.

Best to get someone who is familiar with the mac to get around with you.

I think the first thing to do is click on the apple to get into system preferences and choose your personal preferences for appearance, dashboard/expose and desktop/screensaver.

Next load up some photos on iphoto and do a slide show of it with your favorite music - feels like heaven!

Then you'll never use anything else but a mac.

oh, btw, try the spotlight and the widgets too, they are fantastic.

Have fun and all the best!

~ek~

Download the CallWave sms widget so you can send free sms from your laptop. I use it on my iMac, very cool

Something else I found recently:

A New Mac Tip everyday: http://tips4mac.blogspot.com/

Try it, it's quite cool!

Quote Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
    Download the CallWave sms widget so you can send free sms from your laptop. I use it on my iMac, very cool
    i tried! it is free for sender? recipient also free? skali i sent and all my friends scold me ... after they found out need to pay

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    i tried! it is free for sender? recipient also free? skali i sent and all my friends scold me ... after they found out need to pay
    I thought all sms received are free. Need to pay meh? Unless it is some special deal we do not know: reverse charge! Oh no! I just tried sending a few msgs to me wife. die, die, liao!

Quote Originally Posted by eng_keow View Post
    I thought all sms received are free. Need to pay meh? Unless it is some special deal we do not know: reverse charge! Oh no! I just tried sending a few msgs to me wife. die, die, liao!
    for our local providers, they are free. but i am not sure about international vendors mah....

think shld be free too

haha think it should be free when one receives sms...otherwise...er...its going to be....^_^

Welcome to the MacBook family.

Thanks. Good to know so many frenly Mac users. I'm still feeling weird using it. Today is the 2nd day i've got it buy only spent 1/2 hr with it. Guess i got much to learn. What messenger programs are u guys using?

forgot to ask, how to expand or enlarge the windows for safari? it seems that it does not cover the entire LCD making reading websites a pain.

Smile Re: New Mac user

forgot to ask, how to expand or enlarge the windows for safari? it seems that it does not cover the entire LCD making reading websites a pain.
    Try dragging the right hand bottom corner of the window.

Hi

I am a macbook user and i encountered battery problems some 4 months ago. i bought the macbook last yr ard july. ard september, the battery, which normally lasts 3 plus to 4 hours, suddenly can only last maximum 2 hrs, even fully charged. i went to the apple centre to get it fixed and they exchanged a new battery for mi. even after calibration, the prob persisted. so i went back again and they say they cannot do anything about it and ask mi to call one of the mac operators in australia.

so via long distance telephone, i talked to an aussie and he upgraded my OS version fer mi in 1 hr of conversation. but the prob remained. i tried with my fren;s battery, and my fren's charger. the prob remained and i know it is definitely the problem with the macbook itself.

and i took it down to the apple centre again. they took it in and say they will run a thorough check. but they did not give mi any assurance. evidently, if they run the full system check and cannot detect any prob, i will have to live with it. i am quite pissed. this time they changed the motherboard and asked mi to reboot my mac if the prob persisted.

of cuz the prob persisted. so i have to reboot my mac and erase eerything i have in the system (luckily and ironically, there is not much data lost, since the mac failed mi in 2 months)now the battery is running ok. but i have not tried installing many progs on it, or storing more data. my warranty is ending in 5 months.

i wonder if anyone has the same prob, if so, u can try rebooting ur system. And i have to say: at apple centre, some of the service personel are really really bad, with an attitude to boot. although i pity them too, in the sense that many customers do return with fauty devices, which can be trying. but still.

the pt is: if u report a real prob, but their checks cannot pick it up, then u have to live with it. i think this is bullshit.

good to let this all out.

Yours ain't so bad. My 1st macbook has its charger blew up in my face. At that time i told myself not to get another one (they refunded it by the way.) But my frens convinced me otherwise.So after another month of consideration, i decided to take the plunge.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast