Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Some observations from The Dream Gal Contest

Originally posted by Viewfinder
    *i'm not using Lumiquest

Sin
    Guests

how can a troll not "add oil and vinegar" in this kind of post??

Well, if I'm the organiser of such events in the future, after seeing behaviour of photography amatuers in Singapore, next time any events I'll also disallow photography.

Why? To prevent a similar thing from happening.

To those moaning that it's their public right to take photo...wake up. It's PRIVATE property.

And the reason for running any "fashion show" is to display the fashion, not to satisfy some amatuer photog who's gonna be more interested in his "composition", flash, etc.
    Organisers are showing the fashion to people who'll consider buying the clothing. So the majority of photogs, especially male and "lifeless" ones, are not the target audience since they'll never buy the clothing. If you're never buying anything, organiser don need you.

And if you think you're doing a "favour" for the organiser by attracting attention...i'm sure he can do without you. He'll rather have a crowd of onlookers without cameras than with. Why must have "flash go off here and there". If you not target audience, you not needed.

BTW: After all the jostling and pushing, anyone of those photogs present actually thanked the organiser by giving them some free shots?

Was there wit my gf but din bring cam Saw many photographers there at the stage.. the models should feel damn glam la so many flashes goin off like some MTV award thingy.. but i tink the stage's abit too small la.. they should haf one which stretch all the way to the middle like some previous fashion shows.. like dat everyone will haf enuf space to shoot.

Originally posted by Lindy

Hi STShooter,

Thanks for reasoning out...for this, i must straighten out some issues.

One thing leads to another? Read my 1st post in this thread? I was terribly blocked by *someone* as from what i see yesterday, is that he had to take his pictures 360 degrees angles?
    So I apologies if i had caused others to be accidentally hit or blocked while trying to 'siam' his actions. Let's not go into much details as it will reveal more of this particular *someone*

FYI, like you, i was standing ON the guardrail, one of the poles was already lying against my leg...Apparently, someone from the back keeps pulling the guardrail and i had to turned back to see who's the one doing it...coz by pulling the guardrail from the back also results in pulling the poles against me... If i were to pull away the poles, i could have done so earlier isnt it? Anyway, Iíll stop here; donít be disturbed by the 'evil-eye', btw could u also see fumes of fire? No offence.

Like in this case, i really had NO choice... This is my 1st time at such a event with so many photographers around...I guess i just have to accept the fact that i'm short and though being early, the bad luck to stand behind such a official big time blocker. What to do? So officially short....
    Point taken, as I do understand your predicament. I saw it for myself when other photographers jostled each other just to get a shot they wanted.

Missed a few earlier shot of the Peranakan Wedding attire due to some guys elbow to the right of the stage. Even when I re-positioned to the left of the stage, the situation wasn't any better. I was standing next to the lady judge throughout the entire event and I barely shot much on the two rolls that I expended.

Don't worry, no offence taken as I'm vertically challenged as well. See you guys on future events.

I initially wanted to position myself kneeling closer to the stage between two fellow photographers in front of me. It was a perfectly good position for up-close shots of the contestants and models that does not block those behind me. I tried to move to the particular position and I ended up being stared at. I would rather forsake a shoot then get my feathers all ruffled up trying to reason with these people.

Good manners and proper photography etiquette has to be observed if you do not wish to be identified by the public as an "Ugly Singaporean" belonging to a particular photography club.

I understand that it is a public event and there is little control over the situation if the organisers give free rein to any photographer.

On a serious note, I do hope that our members would be the first to inculcate basic courtesy and a certain degree of photography etiquette to the local photography scene.

I am sure that by doing so, it would help create a more condusive environment for photography for all local photographers alike.

So fellow CSers. Think you're capable of taking up the above task at hand?
    Last edited by STShooter; 24th February 2003 at 12:00 PM.

Originally posted by STShooter
    I initially wanted to position myself kneeling closer to the stage between two fellow photographers in front of me. It was a perfectly good position for up-close shots of the contestants and models that does not block those behind me. I tried to move to the particular position and I ended up being stared at. I would rather forsake a shoot then get my feathers all ruffled up trying to reason with these people.

Good manners and proper photography etiquette has to be observed if you do not wish to be identified by the public as an "Ugly Singaporean" belonging to a particular photography club.

I understand that it is a public event and there is little control over the situation if the organisers give free rein to any photographer.

On a serious note, I do hope that our members would be the first to inculcate basic courtesy and a certain degree of photography etiquette to the local photography scene.

I am sure that by doing so, it would help create a more condusive environment for photography for all local photographers alike.

So fellow CSers. Think you're capable of taking up the above task at hand?
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Holding a fashion show is not just about trying to get people to buy a particular designer or brand of clothes. It's also about advertising & promotion, leaving an impression in people's mind's, so even if the audience is not interested in them personally, they can spread the word to other people. Why can't photographers be the target audience? We are the people who help to advertise the brand name. Just look at what is going on here. It's about publicity...

Private property, yes. But I don't think it's the management of the shopping centre that doesn't want photo-taking, it's the organizers. I hope we will not wake up one day to find that every event a photographer goes to will be prevented from pursuing his hobby.

For me, I'd rather work with the organizers to hold such events. They may not allow photo-taking at first, but if enough of us approach them to enquire if it is allowed, & possibly work out a compromise. I'd be glad to pass them copies if I honestly felt my skills are good enough, but alas, I still need more practice.

And where are we supposed to practice???

Actually it all boils down to crowd control by the organizer. Look at the many fashion shows that were held in Raffles City. They had chained off the stage area well. I had shot many times there and never had the same problems that were seen in this event.

Precisely. The Raffles City management probably worked with photographers to have an amicable compromise. I suppose they are more experienced in holding such events.

There's another event this weekend at Scotts S.C., organized by Lianhe Zaobao. I got a feeling photo-taking will not be allowed. I'd like to try to get in touch with them, to get their permission to take, but I need more CSers, especially the senior members, so we can approach them as a group. I can't speak for ClubSnap. We could offer them a copy of our photos in exchange for a chance to practice, if they are willing.

Perhaps we should have some sort of liaison party to do this in the future. I'll gladly volunteer if my help is needed.

Originally posted by ckiang
    Point to ponder: Don't flame me please.

"Do you HAVE to shoot any event at all?"

If not, then no need to get frustrated over the no-photo rules already. Anyway, contrary to what someone mentioned up there (can't remember - got very poor memory), shopping centres are NOT public places, but private places open to the public. So the management do have the right to disallow photography.

Regards
    CK
    Agreed.

Its not a God-given right.

Originally posted by lavenderlilz

Agreed.

Its not a God-given right.
    I suddenly had a thought, which is why I posted.

1. Why need to shoot those events?
    2. Why go through all the hassle and unhappiness in trying to achieve (1)
    3. After you shot, so what? Just for a record of the pretty girls?

Ok, granted it's good for practicising stage/performance shooting, but there's certainly no reason for getting/creating the mess so described.

Go to the location, can shoot, shoot. Cannot shoot, enjoy the show. Don't enjoy the show? Get all the people who went with you to have a nice cuppa and nice chat. Why make your live miserable jostling with other photographers, cursing the other photographers who obviously have no sense of courtesy, etc?

Regards
    CK

Sin
    Guests

I suddenly had a thought, which is why I posted.

Ok, granted it's good for practicising stage/performance shooting, but there's certainly no reason for getting/creating the mess so described.

Go to the location, can shoot, shoot. Cannot shoot, enjoy the show. Don't enjoy the show? Get all the people who went with you to have a nice cuppa and nice chat. Why make your live miserable jostling with other photographers, cursing the other photographers who obviously have no sense of courtesy, etc?

Regards
    CK
    What is this means?

U trying to tell me how I should lead my life??
    FYI, I enjoy looking at pwetty girl pics, especially secretly at home.
    I like I do lah. Cannot meh?

Originally posted by Sin

What is this means?

U trying to tell me how I should lead my life??
    FYI, I enjoy looking at pwetty girl pics, especially secretly at home.
    I like I do lah. Cannot meh?

He never say must lah.... merely suggested an alternative... chill...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Sin
    Guests

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    He never say must lah.... merely suggested an alternative... chill...
    orrrrr

(don't worry lah, I jus having fun with CK)

Blog Entries

Hi CK

fully agree with most of your points.

as for shooting such events..
    I use to believe that it is all for practice... that is where I am WRONG. The point is to share your work with the participants that allow the photography to take place at the first place.

Hence these days I do talk to the event organiser and ask for contacts after which I will post some of the shots on line and alert the event organiser. If they are keen, I will volunteer to develop a set of the photos for them foc as a token of appreciation. If they wish, I even burn them a set of the photos on cdr for their archiving needs. Of coz since I am just an amateur I try to rope in a few CS buddies efforts to ensure a more even quality to the prints. We share and we contribute.

as for shooting pretty gals, here is my take.
    All people are beautiful though some are blessed with great looks on the surface. Nothing is more beautiful than bringing a smile and a good memory. That is what I believe photographers should strive towards. Even for many events I have shot, I noticed that I didnt shoot many shots of the "pretty gals" but get everyone involved. I don feel or find the need to discriminate.

yesh there is no need to shoot anything just as there is no need to do anything with one's life but it is what you choose to do with your photos that makes it meaningful.

To sign off,
    it is simply not worth getting angry over inconsiderate people. I often do and get terrible heaches for it. These people are not going to change and you are not going to change them by getting angry. Perhaps it is my naive faith in human kind that cause me to believe otherwise.

Peace
    Last edited by sebastiansong; 24th February 2003 at 04:40 PM.

Originally posted by sebastiansong

Hi CK

fully agree with most of your points.

as for shooting such events..
    I use to believe that it is all for practice... that is where I am WRONG. The point is to share your work with the participants that allow the photography to take place at the first place.

Hence these days I do talk to the event organiser and ask for contacts after which I will post some of the shots on line and alert the event organiser. If they are keen, I will volunteer to develop a set of the photos for them foc as a token of appreciation. If they wish, I even burn them a set of the photos on cdr for their archiving needs. Of coz since I am just an amateur I try to rope in a few CS buddies efforts to ensure a more even quality to the prints. We share and we contribute.

as for shooting pretty gals, here is my take.
    All people are beautiful though some are blessed with great looks on the surface. Nothing is more beautiful than bringing a smile and a good memory. That is what I believe photographers should strive towards. Even for many events I have shot, I noticed that I didnt shoot many shots of the "pretty gals" but get everyone involved. I don feel or find the need to discriminate.

yesh there is no need to shoot anything just as there is no need to do anything with one's life but it is what you choose to do with your photos that makes it meaningful.

To sign off,
    it is simply not worth getting angry over inconsiderate people. I often do and get terrible heaches for it. These people are not going to change and you are not going to change them by getting angry. Perhaps it is my naive faith in human kind that cause me to believe otherwise.

Peace
    Right. If photography (or the process of it) causes you so much grevience, why do it? When you are so grieved by things like that, it takes your mood to shoot away. You are not likely to produce good pics when you are not 'in the mood' to shoot anyway. That's why I suggest go for kopi, etc. (then you can bitch about those people if you want.... )

Yeah, it's simply not worth getting angry over those inconsiderate people. Learn to let go, and we'll be happier. Less of such worries/unhappiness is good.

Cheers!

Regards
    CK

With reference to the Wedding Planner article I read in the New Paper today (I'm looking at it as I speak)...

IMO, I feel that we've (hobbists) probably took up most of the good spots around the walkway that some of the real OFFICIAL photographers wanted to shoot from...

Perhaps it was the last alternative they had, to move into the boundary and shoot infront of the judges to shoot some shots of the dream girl participants. They probably did not publish them in the pictures as some of the photographers were crashing into the frame from the photos (Just MAYBE)?

Maybe that's why they only displayed the picture that they took at the aftermath, where Mark and Mabeline sat together on the seat (or wadever that was), in the article? Cause I was actually looking for pictures of all the contestants in fact (perhaps like this ?).

Perhaps in the next FFA shoot like this, maybe some of us should voluntarily (don't know if I've spelt correctky though), send some of the well-taken shots to the press? Just something I thought of...

Pls dun flame me...*hide *

Blog Entries

Originally posted by djchris
    Perhaps in the next FFA shoot like this, maybe some of us should voluntarily (don't know if I've spelt correctky though), send some of the well-taken shots to the press? Just something I thought of...
    [Do correct me if I am wrong but]
    if I am not wrong, the editor will firstly decide whether there is a need for photos and if so, which photos will help tell the story. As for sending them to the press, doubt they will use it at all cos it will bring in a lot of copyright and payment issues which they will wanna avoid at all costs.

Its like fans who always send scripts and ideas to George Lucas for star wars. He just thanked them for their time and promptly announce a disclosure clause on the content.

Originally posted by sebastiansong

[Do correct me if I am wrong but]
    if I am not wrong, the editor will firstly decide whether there is a need for photos and if so, which photos will help tell the story. As for sending them to the press, doubt they will use it at all cos it will bring in a lot of copyright and payment issues which they will wanna avoid at all costs.

Its like fans who always send scripts and ideas to George Lucas for star wars. He just thanked them for their time and promptly announce a disclosure clause on the content.

Perhaps yes, but just a suggestions...

Just some of my views after reading all the replies:

Everyone get a lumiquest. So chances are when you're blocked by someone using a lumiquest coz its too high/tall, you too are blocking someone else with your lumiquest.

So everyone go get one and block everyone else, so no one can bitch about others when you're doing the exact same thing!

KEWL~~~~~~~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Am I allowed to make comments such as the one i posted above? Coz I have the thinking that this is a `Kopitiam' section that I can `talk' to others just like in a real kopitiam chat session

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast