Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Some observations from The Dream Gal Contest

Originally posted by cheechee
    lol... maybe becoz i am at the left side and with nice cs chaps such as darkgsg, cookee, finkster esc, i feel that the photographers this side are not that "hiong" as those at the right side.

And thousand thanks for nice CSer such as finkster to allow me to squeeze in for the my dream girl contest using my 50mm lens.
    In the end, it is too up close and personal, as surprisingly the gals stood so near that when i look up 90 degress, can see the face of the gal on top.
    Yup, agree on that!

There's always been a question in my mind, ever since I started shooting public events like this.

In a public venue, such as this, do the organizers have the legal right to prevent the public from taking photos? It does not matter if it's an auntie with a disposable cam, or a guy with an SLR & the works. Does the management of the shopping centre have the right to throw someone out, even if he is not causing a disturbance?

The organizers may want the models to pay them for the photos taken by the official photographers, through official channels, & there is probably a clause in the models or contestants contract stating this, but does this mean the public is not allowed to take photos?

Privacy is definitely not an issue here. Any event held in a public place is meant to be viewed by everyone.

If photo-taking is banned, wouldn't the event seem terribly boring? Imagine a crowd, with flash guns going off. Wouldn't that mean that something interesting was going on, thereby attracting people to see what's going on? The fact that so many photographers are there gives it a major 'glamour' boost.

I seriously doubt there is a problem of photo-selling. Of the majority of the people there taking photos, how many will actually consider selling their photos? It doesn't make sense to have such a rule. More pros than cons to me... win-win situation for everybody.

The organizer should be happy that so many people turned up to watch or capture the event. They have no idea how great a service we have done for them actually.

The solution to the crowding, jumping the stage by official photogs who had problems getting clear shots, & other crowd related issues would have been solved by better organization, planning & crowd control. Have a zone for offical media, probably right next to the stage. Then designate & demarcate an area for the public. There are logistical issues involved, like stage design, available area for the stage & public, but with proper planning, I believe it can be done. I guess the organizers did not expect such a huge crowd to turn up. Huge mistake.

The same prinicple applies to concerts. The people that are allowed to shoot using SLR or any big cameras are those hired by the company.

Some of these companies have paid $$$ for exclusive rights to these concert photos, taken "professionally" so that they could be sold them to the fans.

Cameras and flashes can still go off from Point-and-shoot cameras. The assumption is how big exactly can you blow up the photo?

I worked as an usher few years back for one of these concerts and we were specifically told to make sure no one from the crowd tries to shoot using "professional looking" cameras. I believed the same rule was applied during F4's concert.

Concerts, I agree. The selling of celebrities photos is a very real possibility, & i'm sure it will happen if 'professional-looking' cameras are allowed into the hall.

But in this case, the possibility of selling photos is highly unlikely. Who the devil wants to pay for pics from such a low-level event?

I was thinking in a legal point of view. In a concert, where paid admission is the norm, the organizer has clauses in the sale of tickets, stating that they have the right to deny entry to anyone, even the person has already paid for the ticket...... so on & so forth. Normally that person had to be doing something illegal in order to get thrown out in the first place of course.

But in a public place such as Takashimaya Shopping Centre, or any other public place for that matter, can a member of the public be told to leave, because he is taking photos of an openly held event being held in their shopping centre?

From my experience, it is the Newpaper that is very 'anal' (am I allowed to say this here?) in their allowing of the public to take pictures of their events. I recall one incident in Wisma Atria 2 years ago, where they were having the new face preview. I was shooting down from the second to the first floor, and after 15mins of shooting, someone must have noticed me & they actually sent someone up to the next floor to tell me not to take. I wasn't even using flash, so I couldn't have been disturbing the contestants. The stupid woman even had the balls to ask me "Are you from the media?". Obviously bloody hell not! That's sarcasm to the max. When I answered in the negative, she said that I'm not supposed to take n crap like that. After mumbling my acknowledgement, I proceeded to shoot more. But I was so pissed by then that I didn't bother to take much more, so I left.

Now, don't tell me that P&S cams are allowed, but not 'professional' looking cameras. Obviously, any one that had a device capable of recording images would be stopped...

Thinking back to that incident still makes my blood boil....

I'd shove and push my way through a crowd or a herd of elephants for some pictures if it was some historical event, like 911 or something of that magnitude.

But not for some girly show. And neither would I want to whine about my rights to take some girly show pictures.

Absolutely.

For me, I have never done a fashion shoot before and this was my first. I would have to add that it was memorable and a very good learning experience for me.

I am sure for all of us, doing photo work at such public events does push us further to better our skills as a photographer.

I too have realised that I have some ways more to go and would be going for more ClubSnap events if and when they are organised.

just thought i'll share some personal experience about shooting at such crowded events. no, i wasn't at the Dream Gal event @ Taka but i've shot at enough events to know that it really is a free-for-all situation even in the professional world.

take for example a massively popular event like MTV Awards or some big fashion event where the public is not allowed to shoot. the sheer number of media photographers is damn scary (imagine a wall of cameras and flashes from wall to wall). under those situations, where you're expected to get the shot no matter what, it's do-or-get screwed by your client. that tends to lead to such desperate measures like what you guys described. believe me, i've been screwed by client enough times to resort to some wild stunts when i know for sure i haven't got "the shot".

for example, some joker would jump in front of me when i'm about to snap a impt shot and spoil it. you can glare at them and tell them to buzz off (politely of course) but by then the moment is gone. and that's a pro shooter.

so i know where canturn is coming from (not that i'm saying it's him, nor do i care who it was). organisers also don't always know what's best for taking the best photos - that's not their top priority - and often, they don't give 2 hoots since they got other things to worry about. so there are times you have to take some drastic actions. if that was a photog on assignment jumping onto the stage, i won't be surprised at all. if i was really desperate, i might do the same as well.

however, having said that, it still does behoove anyone to develop a bit more awareness about their surrounding and other photogs. e.g. if i know i've already gotten the shots i wanted, i'll look around and see if any1 else needs my position. i know for sure i've been in the situation where i really need a good position for assignment, and when i get help in that area, i'm really grateful. and i take the effort to return the favour, not to that person, but to other photogs.

it's all about civil awareness my friends, not only in photography, but in everyday life as well.

Originally posted by togu

That card sure looks like lumiquest...
    Wah....heng sia. Not my flash bounce. I was also using Lumiquest, but not such a professional model. If not sure kenna flame sia.

Larry, I do agree with you as I can see your point. I am not a photographer, but I am definitely paid a salary to do a job in something else, and do the job I must.

But organising all those outings where you are neither paid nor invited (save a few from what I gather), and jostling through a crowd or making a nuisance of yourself, just to improve upon your photographic interest?

Something does not seem right here.

Not that you organise such events for the many enthusiasts here, but I think this practice should not be encouraged.

Met Finkster and another CSer before the shoot outside KFC.

Met a couple more CSers at the end of the Dream Girl shoot by the stage.

Was Lindy the lady in pink T-shirt with the digi-cam and Metz flash head? A lady in a pink T-shirt gave me the evil-eye today and I was wondering what I had done as she was way in front of me. If you were the lady pulling the guardrail and happen to find that it could not be pushed further into the cordoned area, it was my doing. I was standing on one of the guardrail balustrades to prevent more and more photographers from inching further into the cordoned area. The photographers in front of me just kept on pulling on the railing for more slack so that they may make their way closer towards the stage. I personally find this sort of behaviour very disturbing. I spoke to the lady judge from Straits Times Classifieds, "the other lady in pink" and she was rather disgusted that these photographers behaved in such a manner. I had a pleasant conversation with her before the event started and she actually joked about holding another contest for the most well taken shot for the event. She was all smiles before the event commenced, but all that changed when some photographers decided to get a better angle or a clearer shot of the contestants. She was clearly upset as she sat at the judge's table and could barely see the stage from her seat as she was almost completely blocked by a group of photographers in her view.

Although I have come to expect something as such to happen at events that showcase beautiful women on a stage and that the organisers implement no restriction on photography. It is truly disappointing to find friends and fellow members of CS doing what they do not want others to do onto them. Truly an eye-opener.

Minus the models, it was not a pretty sight to behold.
    Last edited by STShooter; 24th February 2003 at 03:59 AM.

Originally posted by Parchiao
    I'd shove and push my way through a crowd or a herd of elephants for some pictures if it was some historical event, like 911 or something of that magnitude.

But not for some girly show. And neither would I want to whine about my rights to take some girly show pictures.

Different folks, different strokes.

Originally posted by Parchiao
    But organising all those outings where you are neither paid nor invited (save a few from what I gather), and jostling through a crowd or making a nuisance of yourself, just to improve upon your photographic interest?
    if that person was doing it for purely selfish personal reasons, then yes i fully agree, the bugger should be dragged out and bonked on the head with a tripod. but if it's a job (as canturn suggested), then it's a job... (not that this kinda action is socially acceptable, but at least understandable).

like i said, self-awareness people, it's all self-awareness...

Originally posted by STShooter
    Met Finkster and another CSer before the shoot outside KFC.

Met a couple more CSers at the end of the Dream Girl shoot by the stage.

Was Lindy the lady in pink T-shirt with the digi-cam and Metz flash head? A lady in a pink T-shirt gave me the evil-eye today and I was wondering what I had done as she was way in front of me. If you were the lady pulling the guardrail and happen to find that it could not be pushed further into the cordoned area, it was my doing. I was standing on one of the guardrail balustrades to prevent more and more photographers from inching further into the cordoned area. The photographers in front of me just kept on pulling on the railing for more slack so that they may make their way closer towards the stage. I personally find this sort of behaviour very disturbing. I spoke to the lady judge from Straits Times Classifieds, "the other lady in pink" and she was rather disgusted that these photographers behaved in such a manner. I had a pleasant conversation with her before the event started and she actually joked about holding another contest for the most well taken shot for the event. She was all smiles before the event commenced, but all that changed when some photographers decided to get a better angle or a clearer shot of the contestants. She was clearly upset as she sat at the judge's table and could barely see the stage from her seat as she was almost completely blocked by a group of photographers in her view.

Although I have come to expect something as such to happen at events that showcase beautiful women on a stage and that the organisers implement no restriction on photography. It is truly disappointing to find friends and fellow members of CS doing what they do not want others to do onto them. Truly an eye-opener.

Minus the models, it was not a pretty sight to behold.
    Hi STShooter,

Thanks for reasoning out...for this, i must straighten out some issues.

One thing leads to another? Read my 1st post in this thread? I was terribly blocked by *someone* as from what i see yesterday, is that he had to take his pictures 360 degrees angles?
    So I apologies if i had caused others to be accidentally hit or blocked while trying to 'siam' his actions. Let's not go into much details as it will reveal more of this particular *someone*

FYI, like you, i was standing ON the guardrail, one of the poles was already lying against my leg...Apparently, someone from the back keeps pulling the guardrail and i had to turned back to see who's the one doing it...coz by pulling the guardrail from the back also results in pulling the poles against me... If i were to pull away the poles, i could have done so earlier isnt it? Anyway, Iíll stop here; donít be disturbed by the 'evil-eye', btw could u also see fumes of fire? No offence.

Like in this case, i really had NO choice... This is my 1st time at such a event with so many photographers around...I guess i just have to accept the fact that i'm short and though being early, the bad luck to stand behind such a official big time blocker. What to do? So officially short....
    Last edited by Lindy; 24th February 2003 at 09:32 AM.

Parchiao, that's a pretty narrow minded view of your definition of a 'girlie-show'. You missed the point that it doesn't matter what kind of event it is, the organizer will normally prevent people from taking photos. I've been to other 'non-girlie show'(if that's how u might call them), & the same thing happens. No photo-taking. If it's for safety reasons, I will comply wholeheartedly. But for dubious commercial reasons?

Photographers do not go to such events just to see girls. It is of course a benefit, but to me, it's a chance to practice photography in an environment that is so different from anything else. There are just so many things u have to consider in such a split-second, unlike landscape, studio or macro photography. If u miss it, no more chances. It' gone for good.

As for the behaviour of photographers there, we all know things can get hairy at times. What choice have we but to make the best of whatever situation we're in?

Oh yeah, although brief, good to have met STshooter & er... darn... forgot his name already

Blog Entries

Wow, woke up to see so many responding...

[To Larry]
    I fully agree with Larry that the employer is always expecting miracles, whether or not he is paying for it. And as much as there are "eager to please" folks out there, there are similarly people who take time to perform their jobs with the minimum hassle to all those present. Yesh moments come and go but you still live on, getting a reputation as a "jumper" is not going to help your career. Well maybe it does earn you more assignments but ultimately you wont get the respect of your peers. At least that is what I feel.

[Photography in public places]
    The irony will be if photography is banned for future events by the organisers due to unhappy incidents like these. To make things worse, the culprit could be the overly eager official chap!!! I realise it would be most convenient to blame the bystanding amateurs but seldom people would take the trouble to investigate.

[Further Observations]
    btw did anyone notice the chap on the right side of the stage during the final wedding gown fashion show who actually placed his foot on the stage and balanced his elbow on his knee to shoot? He was wearing slippers. Well I don noe whether he was official or not but human behavior never fail to amaze me!

[Help Needed]
    p.s. I was approached by someone who asked me about the xdrive I am using. I forgot to introduce myself in the midst of everything and am still wondering about his identity...

Point to ponder: Don't flame me please.

"Do you HAVE to shoot any event at all?"

If not, then no need to get frustrated over the no-photo rules already. Anyway, contrary to what someone mentioned up there (can't remember - got very poor memory), shopping centres are NOT public places, but private places open to the public. So the management do have the right to disallow photography.

Regards
    CK

I happened to walk past on saturday afternoon around 4+pm when the show was going on. Decided to stop and have a look for a while. Was watching from one level up and there was a couple next to me that was commenting that the photographers crowding the front of the stage looked like "a gathering of ugly singaporeans". Looked like quite an accurate assessment to me.

Now, who was it that mentioned long ago,

that if there is nothing to shoot, then don't shoot?

Still stands true, and applies to this event. So, i am agreeing with cK here. This is not to flame any shots that has been posted so far. It's a decent try and i appluad the effort, but really, were there really any outstanding shots? (There probably are but most aren't posting them, for valid reasons i reckon.)

The conditions were so so, with lousy lighting and a very distracting background. Not much anyone could do about it. So as it is, whatever that has occured, already did. Saw one particular photographer, with is also from CS embarassing himself, shooting with burst mode, jumping on the state, and generally "anyhow" shoot. And guess what?

Heard him grumbling that he ddn't have a single keeper? And better yet, using a top of the line lense/DSLR body, he was basically bitching about his equipment too. (And this coming from the same person who claim that he has the fastest of AF with a certain lense etc etc)

How about that? Brings to mind a saying, in dialect, and after translation, goes, "If you don't know how to swim or cannot swim, do not blame the swimming trunk."

Now, for those who were there, i'm quite sure they have benefitted from the experience and from there, learnt something from it, may it be selfish human behavoir, or the kindness of a fellow photographer.

We've now seen the good side, as well as the ugly side and sight, and i'm pretty sure, we will continue to see such behavoir.

Last edited by Wolfgang; 24th February 2003 at 09:57 AM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Originally posted by Derrick
    I happened to walk past on saturday afternoon around 4+pm when the show was going on. Decided to stop and have a look for a while. Was watching from one level up and there was a couple next to me that was commenting that the photographers crowding the front of the stage looked like "a gathering of ugly singaporeans". Looked like quite an accurate assessment to me.
    i believe all photog there went to take photos in passion, also get kind of experience, erm, i dunno why such a comment is out and how the "ugly singaporeans" is defined (i am not s'porean anyway), comparing to those ppl who always join the long queue when ppl told him got "free" thing, i think we r more "beautiful"...

to be honest, we all know that it's kinda bad experience but we learned from there, right?

felt really bad after reading this thread.

Personally, photography is a leisure to me that would make me feel happy, even tho' i din get any good shot at the end of the day. Reason? From this few months of photography within this forum and other, I found out that what I really enjoy most is able to meet up with alot of ppl that share the same interest/passion as me. Indeed I have a bigger circle of friends (from all walks of life) now as compared to before. Really appreciate all the experience/advise they have given me.

Hope this 'event' did not cause bad blood among us. May it be on official business or not, let's take this as a lesson learnt for all of us here in CS. We wouldn't want CS to be branded with bad name rite?

my apologies for I'm not good at expressing with words and also to those that I accidentally blocked during the event.

*i'm not using Lumiquest

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast