Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some observations from The Dream Gal Contest

lol... maybe becoz i am at the left side and with nice cs chaps such as darkgsg, cookee, finkster esc, i feel that the photographers this side are not that "hiong" as those at the right side.

And thousand thanks for nice CSer such as finkster to allow me to squeeze in for the my dream girl contest using my 50mm lens.
    In the end, it is too up close and personal, as surprisingly the gals stood so near that when i look up 90 degress, can see the face of the gal on top.

Especially at the Q&A session, step by step they came close, and eventually so close that at only 1 pace they took, i can hear cursings behind, and all those photographers bending backwards to take a wider shoots. Quite a nice scene though.

Yaya.. @ the end what the inconsiderate guy had done by jumping up is really irritating. But it is also nice to see that none only than him who did this, dun see any people following suit.(but loads of cursings )

Anyway, a nice event, and nice experiance.

Happy Shooting.
    Last edited by cheechee; 23rd February 2003 at 11:56 PM.

Originally posted by Newbie123
    Just wana share my personal experience today. I was standing behind this guy who is using a 1D and had a Lumiquest mounted on his flash tilted @ 90. When he is shooting vertical, his flash and Lumiquest blocked me and those behind. Its fine that he shoot vertical and blocked us but what makes me most frustrated is that even when he is not aiming for any shot or reviewing his shots, he still hold his camera vertically, thus the flash and Lumiquest blocked my view. One of official photographer was apparently pissed off by this cos he asked the guy to move his Lumiquest away. Well my point is, if you have something that will potentially block the photographers behind, it is basic courtesy to move it away, like holding the camera horizontally, when you are not shooting so that others can have a clear view to shoot. Anyway thanks to him, a couple of my shots were ruined because either his Lumiquest reflected my flash or simply blocked the my view

Apparently its the same person who 'blocked' me during the 1st show...

What if you are told that the guy with the lumiquest and EOS 1D was actually one of the official photographers working for the media? To my understanding those on official business for this event could move freely, even onto the stage.

Yea, it was a public event, anyone can take photos so whats wrong eh?

To be frank, organisers only wanted their own photographer + media/press to take their photos....Those who were there earlier on Sat were told not to shoot actually. Was expecting them to cordon off a bigger area on sunday and get a few security guards to be there, but they didn't

Dagger would know what I mean
    Last edited by canturn; 24th February 2003 at 12:08 AM.

This is what I am afraid of when the event is organised again for next year.

Next year, we might not get a chance to shoot the event for ourselves again.

It's my first modelling shoot at the New Paper event.

I was standing at the right side of the walkway (which alot of ppl said "hiong"). I apologise if I've blocked quite a few of photographers as I would sometimes, sorta rotate around with my camera, following the models.

I was using an a40, and as a few guys infront of me was blocking my shots due to their external flashes and not to mention the guy with his tripod, I had to raise my camera higher which may block some of the photographers behind me. I do apologise about this, and I'd take note and try not to block the people behind me in future.

Originally posted by Wai

hmm...is it?

were u in this pic?
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...threadid=25632 (3rd one)

Nope, tat wasnt me...

Blog Entries

Originally posted by canturn
    What if you are told that the guy with the lumiquest and EOS 1D was actually one of the official photographers working for the media? To my understanding those on official business for this event could move freely, even onto the stage.

Yea, it was a public event, anyone can take photos so whats wrong eh?

To be frank, organisers only wanted their own photographer + media/press to take their photos....Those who were there earlier on Sat were told not to shoot actually. Was expecting them to cordon off a bigger area on sunday and get a few security guards to be there, but they didn't

Dagger would know what I mean
    YOu are absolutely correct, Canturn

if you are official, you have first right to everything since you are paid to cover the event and it is your official duty

But I have covered events for my company as well and my gauge on how well to do a job is what your peers think of you. From what I can see, there was an official area for the official photographers and THE MAN could have easily accessed the stage via the area instead of jumping up by the side. It is strictly how one chose to do the job but there is something called respect that I value in a professional.

I don think we should be dragging Dagger into this cos I didnt see her today

Ha ha... Dun mention it CheeChee.... Hope your pics will turn out well!

So that was u, canturn that i saw on sat at 1pm. i was waiting at the 2nd level looking down, & i noticed three fellas setting up right at the rite side of the catwalk, at around 1pm. Then one woman came up to your group, talked for a short moment then that was it. Did she say u cannot take photos?

hmmm sounds bad...... tsk tsk. especially the @$$ who jumped on stage. MAN..... father mother never teach ah? wtf. very embarassing if foreigners see this friggish habit we have . I WANT I GET attitude. Damn. U know something if i were the organiser i would DEFINITELY not let public shoot next year. Damn the dumb ass non official photographers. Its my show and i let who i want in. i dun get any good letting these freeloaders join. Or rather i get tensed. Sigh. Its sad.... so sad.... its a sad sad situation. ok anyway i hope whoever that ass is who jumped on stage be proper nect time. Coz not everyone will be as tolerant as the ppl there.

Dagger was there on Sat...she knew how the game was played

As far as I was told, there were only 4 others that were on official business (unless the organisers added some other people into this)

Firstly, to clear things off, there were 2 CS'ers that were on official business for this event and they both jumped on stage to take the shot.

FYI, official photographers are supposed to send a copy of the shots taken for "My Dream Girl" event to The Newpaper.

If you were blocked by them, just too bad, because they were supposed to/ have every right to do so....can't expect them to say "er, am I blocking some other enthusiasts trying to take the pictures?"

Just my $0.02

canturn is right... was there before the show started on Sat with Dagger too... I was informed not allow to able to shoot unless officially appointed photographers, and I didn't shoot then...

Originally posted by finkster
    Ha ha... Dun mention it CheeChee.... Hope your pics will turn out well!

So that was u, canturn that i saw on sat at 1pm. i was waiting at the 2nd level looking down, & i noticed three fellas setting up right at the rite side of the catwalk, at around 1pm. Then one woman came up to your group, talked for a short moment then that was it. Did she say u cannot take photos?
    We got permission from the organisers to shoot actually

You want to know what Diana (the woman from SPH) asked us? Quote: "Are they part of your group too? How come so many? They not supposed to shoot you know"

Why not allowed to shoot? not even a closed door event right.

Originally posted by Newbiez
    That was a question that I asked the organiser actually.

They just don't want the photographers to sell the photographs.... if any of the contestants/ models want the photographs, they'll have to go through them.

that's crazy then. Might as well hold the contest behind closed doors.

Originally posted by Newbiez

Exact same thoughts.

Better still... in this case, organise this event as a private function??????

I believe the 3 shows are to promote the gowns, the peranakan costumes or rather, the wedding packages...which should be public for all held at this taka square...so in that sense from what he have said, all those passerby at taka..."not suppose to shoot, you know?"

er.... official photographers get lumiquests for free

Originally posted by Lindy

Exact same thoughts.

Better still... in this case, organise this event as a private function??????

I believe the 3 shows are to promote the gowns, the peranakan culture or rather, the wedding packages...which should be public for all held at this taka square...so in that sense from what he have said, all those passerby at taka..."not suppose to shoot, you know?"
    You are not supposed to watch, just in case you remember the designs...

Originally posted by tsystem
    er.... official photographers get lumiquests for free
    No, but you get a section right in front of the stage to sit.

Originally posted by Newbie123
    Just wana share my personal experience today. I was standing behind this guy who is using a 1D and had a Lumiquest mounted on his flash tilted @ 90. ......
    lol... wonder is this the person who blocked me also....

see my post in this thread to see his lumiquest...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast