Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some observations from The Dream Gal Contest

I guess it's the over-enthusiasm of our fellow photographers..

Personally, I think the use of tripod in a fashion show is clearly a NO-NO.. too much space constraint and it actually limit the photographer's view and angle coz they are shooting a moving subject... free play must be considered.. That's why a monopod is better in this situation. If not, handheld the best.

Just my 2cts
    tHope everyone had a good time despite all these.

Din go coz I was scheduled to go to the airport to pick up a friend very last minute

Originally posted by maddog
    if u thought leaning over the barrier was bad, some people(even CSers) went into the enclosure to take snaps blocking the official's view. i even saw one guy waving a fake badge. it was a free for all.
    I believe this is the very same guy who jumped on the stage yesterday as well.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

kerkling
    Guests

Originally posted by chenwei
    seem like everyone is getting bad experience for this event... this is the 1st time i attended a fashion show with so many photographers around. i went to sat one, there is a photog in front using bounce card, where his flash + bounce card always get inside my shots. sometimes i got to avoid taking his bounce card in and blocked ppl behind me (william sorry about that, and anyone else i didn't realise...) at the end i kneel down or even sit down... just coz it's too crowded...

actually there were few ppl who was not going for shooting but still standing nearby stages, all squeeze together...
    chenwei, I hope it wasn't me because my bounce card is bigger than my camera... If I ever get into your arc of fire next time, please let me know.

Originally posted by kerkling

chenwei, I hope it wasn't me because my bounce card is bigger than my camera... If I ever get into your arc of fire next time, please let me know.
    not sure also, here is the bounce card...

anyway it doesn't matter, i just feel pai seh that sometimes i blocked ppl behind... happy shooting is the most important

anyway it doesn't matter, i just feel pai seh that sometimes i blocked ppl behind... happy shooting is the most important
    That card sure looks like lumiquest...

Deregistered

Sorry if I blocked anybody today, was my first attempt at taking the shots... so I moved a lot and didn't really care about those behind or didn't get a good position cos they were late or something.

Sorry again.

Originally posted by togu

That card sure looks like lumiquest...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Originally posted by espn
    Sorry if I blocked anybody today, was my first attempt at taking the shots... so I moved a lot and didn't really care about those behind or didn't get a good position cos they were late or something.

Sorry again.
    It's ok, espn, shoot more!

kerkling
    Guests

Oh.. mine was a $2 homemade bounce card.
    Yes! Happy shooting!

Default The Idoit That Went On Stage....

Anyway, I just wanted to add me two cents worth to the event.

Overall, it was really really fun for me to be able to see all those photographic enthusiasts in full force at the event. Felt good to be among people who share the same interests and are doing it for pure fun and leisure.

However, the Idoit that went on stage at the end of the My Dream Girl contest was really really too much. Firstly, I think the guy was using a 1D or a 1Ds with a pro L lens. From my observation, I think it was the Canon EF 28-70 f/2.8L lens. I am not sure whether is he a professional or a enthusiasts who had spent a great deal of money on the camera, but such attitudes does show the ugly side of our culture.

I too am guilty of doing something in order to get better shots. At the first part of the wedding fashion show, I would have to say that I went beyond the baracade and sat on the floor because this lady who was behind me with a very small Sony digital camera was blocking my space. So I just went ahead and sat down on the floor and just started shooting. What I am trying to point out here and that is if everyone were to be more considerate of others, there would not be this sort of discussion and everyone would have a better time shooting pics and just enjoying our hobbies that we share.

Default Re: The Idoit That Went On Stage....

Originally posted by agape01
    Anyway, I just wanted to add me two cents worth to the event.

Overall, it was really really fun for me to be able to see all those photographic enthusiasts in full force at the event. Felt good to be among people who share the same interests and are doing it for pure fun and leisure.
    Nice meeting you agape01!

Default Re: The Idoit That Went On Stage....

However, the Idoit that went on stage at the end of the My Dream Girl contest was really really too much. Firstly, I think the guy was using a 1D or a 1Ds with a pro L lens. From my observation, I think it was the Canon EF 28-70 f/2.8L lens. I am not sure whether is he a professional or a enthusiasts who had spent a great deal of money on the camera, but such attitudes does show the ugly side of our culture.
    Hmm... sounds so familiar...

PS: I think I know who and I don't care, cos I don't wanna get involve.

U mean that fella who jumped the stage is a CSer? Hmmm....

that's reminds me of an events where Andy Lau and Tony Leung were appear on stage at Junction 8 to promote their movie

there were many OFFICAL photographers and camera men from the press and TV stations

there was an area reserved for them to shoot and that's right in front of the stage.

well...seldom u will see two big HK stars in such pubic events so the place was really crowded. There were some Q&A session going on on stage and everyone were trying to take photo of their idols...

but later all those Offical photographers and camera men jumped on the stage, standing less than 2m away from Andy lau and Tony leung and keep on shooting at them non-stop until they left the stage. if i were Andy Lau i will kick them down to let the fans to have a chance to take pictures.

and in the end, all the fans below the stage cannot see anything....
    Last edited by Wai; 23rd February 2003 at 11:53 PM.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Wai
    that's reminds me of an events where Andy Lau and Tony Leung were appear on stage at Junction 8 to promote their movie
    Hi Wai

for such occurrences, the organiser should have done something and ask the photographers to do back down since the event is probably meant as a "Meet the Fans" session.

Interestingly for the Dream Gal, the "Pros" were fantastic and tried not to get into the way of anybody until THE MAN jumped onto the stage and fired away. Everyone was ready to shootoff when the winner was announced but this chap felt it was some God given right for him to leap on stage and have exclusive shots. I could hear the official chaps groaned out loud and they followed suit and jumped onto the stage as well. IMagine that.

Do you think whether would such news make the Straits Times or the New Paper?

I guess for myself personally and maybe for others as well, I would like to see whether is my skill at photography is equally as those that would be coming out in the New Paper tomorrow.

A good measurement of where we are all at in our photography skill level.

oh yeah... tomolo definitely must buy newpaper!

Do you think whether would such news make the Straits Times or the New Paper?
    hmmm...this event is organised by The New Paper rite...

so most likely we will see a pic taken during finale with some one on stage??

hmm...hopefully not....

Originally posted by sebastiansong

I could hear the official chaps groaned out loud and they followed suit and jumped onto the stage as well. IMagine that.
    Hope the offical manage to get some good shots during the finale...cos this is his rice bowl....if i were the offical i will have no choice to do that to get a shot for my boss...
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Just wana share my personal experience today. I was standing behind this guy who is using a 1D and had a Lumiquest mounted on his flash tilted @ 90. When he is shooting vertical, his flash and Lumiquest blocked me and those behind. Its fine that he shoot vertical and blocked us but what makes me most frustrated is that even when he is not aiming for any shot or reviewing his shots, he still hold his camera vertically, thus the flash and Lumiquest blocked my view. One of official photographer was apparently pissed off by this cos he asked the guy to move his Lumiquest away. Well my point is, if you have something that will potentially block the photographers behind, it is basic courtesy to move it away, like holding the camera horizontally, when you are not shooting so that others can have a clear view to shoot. Anyway thanks to him, a couple of my shots were ruined because either his Lumiquest reflected my flash or simply blocked the my view

And I would have to agree with you.

If I were the official photographer, I guess I would have kicked the guy off the stage. Because he doesn't have any right to be there right from the start.

If he were working for any publication, I would think that his boss would be furious because to me it is unbecoming of a photographer to do something like that. I would like to add that everyone should have equal chances of taking the finale shot, but I would continue to say that the official photographer has more rights than those who are by the side to take shots.

Who knows? Next year's event could be more stringent because of this incident. As in they might not allow other people (like us) to take shots. It would be really bad if this happens because it would be attributed to this year's experience.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast