Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Global Warming

Default Re: Global Warming

be it if we human or nature produced high co2 all these years..............the thing is that if we are to let it carry on in these way.........we can kiss the earth good-bye may be in the very near future. as far as economic is concern, idun think world leaders definitely won't be giving up they way we live now................

I don't know how many of you believe in 'global warming', and how many of you care about it. The impact of global warming does not have a very significant impact on Singapore yet. What I know is many snow-cap mountains are no longer snow cap, many places that should have frequent snows now only have snows once in a long while in winter. And I so also learnt from news media that the ice in the north and south is melting.

Human beings' survival is dependent on nature. Will we only do something when planet earth is no longer suitable for human beings, or we hope that by them, human beings will mutate to a more avanced species that can adapt to the new environment???
    Last edited by barracuda; 3rd February 2007 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I don't know how many of you believe in 'global warming', and how many of you care about it. The impact of global warming does not have a very significant impact on Singapore yet. What I know is many snow-cap mountains are no longer snow cap, many places there should have frequent snows now only have snows once in a long while in winter. And I so also learnt from news media that the ice in the north and south is melting.

Human beings' survival is dependent on nature. Will we only do something when planet earth is no longer suitable for human beings, or we hope that by them, human beings will mutate to a more avanced species that can adapt to the new environment???
    mutation ? xmen?

Global warming? See what the penguins got to say about global warming, in the movie Farce of the Penguins (R21)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dPeTBWZzaA

to quote

''It's f***ing global warming, b***s***!! D*** You all...D*** You!'' - Penguins

End of the day, there will always be westerners who try to shift the blame to "less developed" nations saying that they never regulate their own heavy industries.

There will also be westerners one of which is Bush who says that Global Warming is no big deal or it is not serious.

Well from some theories, once global warming has melted enough of the polar caps and displace an anormal amount of fresh water into the sea. It may disrupt the undersea current that is responsible for the climate we have now. The result? We go into an instant ice age that can take place over a span of less than 100 over years instead of the normal 10 over thousand years. The facts are from? Just search for it online and there are a few documentaries about it too.

Anyway it is true that the wind in Singapore is very chilly and dry. I would say not normal. Well as long as the developed nations want to drag their feet and blame everything on others, I would say lets stockpile winter clothes for our children to come. They will need it.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Anyway it is true that the wind in Singapore is very chilly and dry. I would say not normal. Well as long as the developed nations want to drag their feet and blame everything on others, I would say lets stockpile winter clothes for our children to come. They will need it.
    yes, i agreed with you.......more to come.

i hope it'll snow here. den we all get 1 mth winter break! whee...

the cooling wind seems to be gone these 2 days and the sun started to shine hot in the afternoon......hmmmmmm......guess we have to stand-by for the super hot weather after CNY..........

remember Y2K bug? let's get ready, if it is over and nothing happen, let's smile =)

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Ten facts about global warming

THEY don't want you to know

1. Britain is one degree Celsius cooler now than it was at the time of the Domesday book.

2. Greenland got its name from the verdant pastures that attracted the Norse settlers under Eric the Red in 986. They carried on their normal way of life (based on cattle, grain, hay and herring) for 300 years until the Little Ice Age, when they were driven off by the encroaching ice and the Inuit took over. The ice and the Inuit are still there.

3. Carbon dioxide is a minor greenhouse gas. In the atmosphere there is over a hundred times the concentration of water vapour, which is the dominant greenhouse gas.

4. Without the Greenhouse Effect there would be no life on Earth.

5. Temperature measurements by satellite, radio sonde balloons and well maintained rural surface stations in the West show no significant warming.

6. The only evidence of significant warming comes from mainly non-western stations that are probably ill maintained or those that are contaminated by the Urban Heat Island Effect.

7. Computer models of the climate are worthless, as they are based on many assumptions about interactions between climate factors that are still unknown to science. They are generally unstable and chaotic, giving a wide variety of answers depending on the input assumptions.

8. The Kyoto agreement would have a devastating effect on the world economy but, since carbon dioxide is a minor greenhouse gas, an undetectable effect on the climate.

9. The IPCC (the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) has been the main engine for promoting the global warming scare. It has become notorious for its corrupt practices of doctoring its reports and executive summaries, after they have been approved by the participating scientists, to conform to its political objectives

10. The really big lie about man-made global warming is that almost all scientists accept it. More than 4,000 scientists from 106 countries, including 72 Nobel prize winners, signed the Heidelberg Appeal (1992), calling for a rational scientific approach to environmental problems. Many senior scientists have also supported The Statement by Atmospheric Scientists on Greenhouse Warming (1992), The Leipzig Declaration (1997) and finally the Oregon Petition (1998) which received the signatures of over 19,000 scientists.
    Wildstallion, have you read "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton?

Those who get defensive about global warming please try to see wildstallion's point. I'm a believer of global warming. But the skeptics of global warming do have their points. Human still do not understand a lot of things like how water vapour affects global warming and the effects of global warming.

From a personal point of view, I hope everyone can play an important part in the well being of the environment. Certain luxury I believe we can do without eg. a fan will suffice in most case instead of using the aircon. Walk or cycling more etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123