Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: What is Hard Disk Enclosure

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    897

    Default What is Hard Disk Enclosure

    Hi, can someone tell me what is '3.5" USB 2.0 & Firewire Hard Disk Enclosure'?

    Thanks--

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    something like this
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Thanks Wai.

    I have a EZDV Vedio capture card with one Firewire port. If I get the Maxtro Ext. 80GB Firewire 1394 Storage Device, can it work with my PC through the EZDV Firewire port? Or do you think the IO Mega 80GB USB 2.0 Protable Drive is better? My problem is my PC don't have USB 2.0.

    If I buy those other brand Hard Disk Enclosure, does it come with the power cable and connecting cable? Is it better to get this and a HDD ?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    209

    Default

    You can make use of your EZDV firewire port to use external storage drive. USB is not as fast as firewire, so stay with firewire. You dont have to buy branded external storage drive. Go to Sim Lim Square look for this shop call Storage Studio (Sorry, 4th or 5th floor cannot remember). THis shop deal with lot of external storage enclosure. Hope this help.



    Originally posted by Kevin
    Thanks Wai.

    I have a EZDV Vedio capture card with one Firewire port. If I get the Maxtro Ext. 80GB Firewire 1394 Storage Device, can it work with my PC through the EZDV Firewire port? Or do you think the IO Mega 80GB USB 2.0 Protable Drive is better? My problem is my PC don't have USB 2.0.

    If I buy those other brand Hard Disk Enclosure, does it come with the power cable and connecting cable? Is it better to get this and a HDD ?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Montréal, Québec
    Posts
    51

    Default

    you may want to try icecube enclosure, i use it with Western Digital 100gb

    it's very cool

    link for spec

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    leepublic of singapore
    Posts
    1,783

    Default

    i bought mine @ maclink (www.maclink.com.sg) for abt $350 wif a 40gb last yr...2.5" combo casing wif firewire and usb. 3.5" shud be cheaper.

    http://www.newmotiontech.com/products/2.5combo_slim.htm

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Thanks fellow ClupSnappers for your help and contribution. It has been of great help. Look like for 3.5" (save money so go for bigger one), so will probaby go for the 3.5" Icecube since can't find New Motion for 3.5" for Firewire/USB 2.0 . If no stock then will go for the New Motion 2.5" version.

    BTW, how much is the diff between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 in term of transfer rate. Is USB 1.1 transfer speed 12Mb/s?

    Thinking of using X Drive as External HDD casing. What do you people think??? Feasible???

    Cheers--
    Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin; 25th February 2003 at 12:32 AM.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Montréal, Québec
    Posts
    51

    Default

    the speed of USB 2 is a bit faster that firewire (theoriticaly)

    USB 1, is way behind. Like racing, maybe USB 2 had reached KL when USB 1 just want to cross causeway.

    If your plan to store small files, and not running any program directly from it, then USB 1 is enough.

    If you have the budget, i suggest you get the combo drive: USB 2 + firewire

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Thanks aikidoka25.

    That is why I am looking at Firewire and USB 2.0 since most the files I transfer will be more than 700MB and I also use it for Video editing purpose.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Originally posted by isomers007
    i bought mine @ maclink (www.maclink.com.sg) for abt $350 wif a 40gb last yr...2.5" combo casing wif firewire and usb. 3.5" shud be cheaper.

    http://www.newmotiontech.com/products/2.5combo_slim.htm
    Hi isomers007, was decided on the 3.5" for higher HDD capacity until I saw the Sarotech Cutie at PK Computer, OH, look at the size, really cute. And I was told that it doesn't need additional power supply cable like the 3.5". Ah! So my heart turn to 2.5" already. Your New Motion also draw electric power from the USB port?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    leepublic of singapore
    Posts
    1,783

    Default

    Originally posted by Kevin
    Hi isomers007, was decided on the 3.5" for higher HDD capacity until I saw the Sarotech Cutie at PK Computer, OH, look at the size, really cute. And I was told that it doesn't need additional power supply cable like the 3.5". Ah! So my heart turn to 2.5" already. Your New Motion also draw electric power from the USB port?
    juz plug de usb and it will search for new hardware

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Originally posted by isomers007


    juz plug de usb and it will search for new hardware
    Thanks, here I come New Motion 2.5".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •