Thread: What is Hard Disk Enclosure

Default What is Hard Disk Enclosure

Hi, can someone tell me what is '3.5" USB 2.0 & Firewire Hard Disk Enclosure'?

Thanks--

something like this
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Thanks Wai.

I have a EZDV Vedio capture card with one Firewire port. If I get the Maxtro Ext. 80GB Firewire 1394 Storage Device, can it work with my PC through the EZDV Firewire port? Or do you think the IO Mega 80GB USB 2.0 Protable Drive is better? My problem is my PC don't have USB 2.0.

If I buy those other brand Hard Disk Enclosure, does it come with the power cable and connecting cable? Is it better to get this and a HDD ?

You can make use of your EZDV firewire port to use external storage drive. USB is not as fast as firewire, so stay with firewire. You dont have to buy branded external storage drive. Go to Sim Lim Square look for this shop call Storage Studio (Sorry, 4th or 5th floor cannot remember). THis shop deal with lot of external storage enclosure. Hope this help.

Originally posted by Kevin
    Thanks Wai.

I have a EZDV Vedio capture card with one Firewire port. If I get the Maxtro Ext. 80GB Firewire 1394 Storage Device, can it work with my PC through the EZDV Firewire port? Or do you think the IO Mega 80GB USB 2.0 Protable Drive is better? My problem is my PC don't have USB 2.0.

If I buy those other brand Hard Disk Enclosure, does it come with the power cable and connecting cable? Is it better to get this and a HDD ?

you may want to try icecube enclosure, i use it with Western Digital 100gb

it's very cool

link for spec

i bought mine @ maclink (www.maclink.com.sg) for abt $350 wif a 40gb last yr...2.5" combo casing wif firewire and usb. 3.5" shud be cheaper.

http://www.newmotiontech.com/products/2.5combo_slim.htm

Thanks fellow ClupSnappers for your help and contribution. It has been of great help. Look like for 3.5" (save money so go for bigger one), so will probaby go for the 3.5" Icecube since can't find New Motion for 3.5" for Firewire/USB 2.0 . If no stock then will go for the New Motion 2.5" version.

BTW, how much is the diff between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 in term of transfer rate. Is USB 1.1 transfer speed 12Mb/s?

Thinking of using X Drive as External HDD casing. What do you people think??? Feasible???

Cheers--
    Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin; 25th February 2003 at 12:32 AM.

the speed of USB 2 is a bit faster that firewire (theoriticaly)

USB 1, is way behind. Like racing, maybe USB 2 had reached KL when USB 1 just want to cross causeway.

If your plan to store small files, and not running any program directly from it, then USB 1 is enough.

If you have the budget, i suggest you get the combo drive: USB 2 + firewire

Thanks aikidoka25.

That is why I am looking at Firewire and USB 2.0 since most the files I transfer will be more than 700MB and I also use it for Video editing purpose.

Originally posted by isomers007
    i bought mine @ maclink (www.maclink.com.sg) for abt $350 wif a 40gb last yr...2.5" combo casing wif firewire and usb. 3.5" shud be cheaper.

http://www.newmotiontech.com/products/2.5combo_slim.htm
    Hi isomers007, was decided on the 3.5" for higher HDD capacity until I saw the Sarotech Cutie at PK Computer, OH, look at the size, really cute. And I was told that it doesn't need additional power supply cable like the 3.5". Ah! So my heart turn to 2.5" already. Your New Motion also draw electric power from the USB port?

Originally posted by Kevin
    Hi isomers007, was decided on the 3.5" for higher HDD capacity until I saw the Sarotech Cutie at PK Computer, OH, look at the size, really cute. And I was told that it doesn't need additional power supply cable like the 3.5". Ah! So my heart turn to 2.5" already. Your New Motion also draw electric power from the USB port?
    juz plug de usb and it will search for new hardware

Originally posted by isomers007

juz plug de usb and it will search for new hardware
    Thanks, here I come New Motion 2.5".