Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Those Window OS PDA phones always hang?

Default Re: Those Window OS PDA phones always hang?

Max, surprise yourself with the humble Eten PDA phones that recieved very good reviews from HWM. I am using the Eten 600 and has insofar been very happy with it except that I cant sms while driving as it doesnt have a keypad. So now I got the Nokia E61 as my main.

Both works for me as I seek built-in WiFi as a feature too. Hope this info helps

I'm currently using the 1st generation xda O2 mini running on WM2003 for the past 2 years. Its generally quite OK. I would not say "always" hang but it does happen once in a long while.

But as CYRN said, having more 3rd party applications may make it unstable. To avoid the hanging problem :
    1) I'd suggest staying with some mainstream 3rd party applications (eg. Spb pocket plus, Illum eWallet etc). In my opinion, the default applications in the O2 mini are already quite good.
    2) Every couple of days just before charging or when i'm not using the phone, i just perform a soft reboot as a preventive measure (with Spb pocket plus installed, its just a click of a button on the screen to do this)

It depends on one's lifestyle but having a PDA is really quite important for me (schedules, ability to take short notes, price guides from ClubSnap etc.)

Thanks Leinaj & Montmelo,

I did consider Eten 600. Still considering now, you selling yours?
    I found a o2 mini going at $220 but no software cd, Anyone can help?

Or anyone letting go pda phone here? Cheap cheap?
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 3rd February 2007 at 01:04 PM.

$220 is a very good deal.

You don't really need the software CD as it contains things which you can easily download from
    http://www.seeo2.com/o2connect/template/O2Connect.vm
    & Microsoft ActivSync which can be obtained from Microsoft website.

Do check the ROM version. There is one release which is applicable for the phones purchased prior to May 2005. (System->Device Information). The latest ROM package fixes the early bugs. The ROM version is :
    * ROM: 1.11.00 WWE
    * Radio: 1.11.00
    * ExtROM: 1.11.922 WWE
    * MMS: 2.0.0.22

If it is not, then you'll just need to register with O2 website to download the ROM package.

When you guys say that the phones "hang", do you mean it stops reacting no matter what button you push?

I've used the O2 smartphone and O2 Atom before (both developed the same syptoms after a few montsh). It doesn't "hang", but it stops receiving SMS/calls without any reason at all. When that happens, I also cannot send SMS or make phone calls. Of course if I am not sending SMS or attempting to call, I won't know about it because I can still go about using the phone as a PDA. I find this really frustrating because I'm missing important calls from my family, colleagues and bosses - such that everyday every minute, I'm wondering if the phone is working properly.

Any one has similar problems? Better yet... any one has solution?

I'm not sure if its WM5, or O2, or the hardware

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    When you guys say that the phones "hang", do you mean it stops reacting no matter what button you push?

I've used the O2 smartphone and O2 Atom before (both developed the same syptoms after a few montsh). It doesn't "hang", but it stops receiving SMS/calls without any reason at all. When that happens, I also cannot send SMS or make phone calls. Of course if I am not sending SMS or attempting to call, I won't know about it because I can still go about using the phone as a PDA. I find this really frustrating because I'm missing important calls from my family, colleagues and bosses - such that everyday every minute, I'm wondering if the phone is working properly.

Any one has similar problems? Better yet... any one has solution?

I'm not sure if its WM5, or O2, or the hardware
    Thats what I worry actually....

Quote Originally Posted by Montmelo View Post
    $220 is a very good deal.

You don't really need the software CD as it contains things which you can easily download from
    http://www.seeo2.com/o2connect/template/O2Connect.vm
    & Microsoft ActivSync which can be obtained from Microsoft website.

Do check the ROM version. There is one release which is applicable for the phones purchased prior to May 2005. (System->Device Information). The latest ROM package fixes the early bugs. The ROM version is :
    * ROM: 1.11.00 WWE
    * Radio: 1.11.00
    * ExtROM: 1.11.922 WWE
    * MMS: 2.0.0.22

If it is not, then you'll just need to register with O2 website to download the ROM package.

Thanks, but I'm using ms works, so no outlook. I need the outlook to sync with my computer, right?

Actually, is there any shops or 2nd hand shop to buy or look at these pda phones? So far, I've been shopping on the net only.
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 3rd February 2007 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    Thanks Leinaj & Montmelo,

I did consider Eten 600. Still considering now, you selling yours?
    I found a o2 mini going at $220 but no software cd, Anyone can help?

Or anyone letting go pda phone here? Cheap cheap?
    What is your budget like? How abt this one?

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=87410

Quote Originally Posted by John Teoh View Post
    What is your budget like? How abt this one?

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=87410
    broken link leh...as cheap as possible lah...its for work not for luxury.

Thanks, but I'm using ms works, so no outlook. I need the outlook to sync with my computer, right?

Actually, is there any shops or 2nd hand shop to buy or look at these pda phones? So far, I've been shopping on the net only.
    If it is outlook 2000, then can borrow. not sure for 2002 but I think for 2003 you need to activate. If the Outlook has already been activate, you will only be usable for abt 30 days only.

wah...must buy ms office somemore ah.... I dun use excel, word, powerpoint leh...waste money....to buy just for outlook....

Hello guys,
    Thinking of getting a PDA phone, so I started reading reviews and searching for bargains for 2nd-hand ones. I realised I've read alot of user complaints saying their phone hang alot. Most are running on those Window Mobile.

Is it true? Whats a good value for money pda phone? Any recommendations or shop?
    used dopod d810 for 2months, no problem!

wah...must buy ms office somemore ah.... I dun use excel, word, powerpoint leh...waste money....to buy just for outlook....
    If I remember correctly, you can buy outlook alone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Teoh View Post
    If I remember correctly, you can buy outlook alone.
    is it? Can't find any info on the net. Any lobang where to get?
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 3rd February 2007 at 04:24 PM.

Thought you can use Microsoft Outlook Express (for Windows & Mac). I believe its free from microsoft.

And outlook express can sync with the pda. I've not tried it myself but i believe it should work.

Thought you can use Microsoft Outlook Express (for Windows & Mac). I believe its free from microsoft.

And outlook express can sync with the pda. I've not tried it myself but i believe it should work.
    IIRC, express only have contract and email. It does not contain task, appointment and note. Also you need third party software to get it to work.

I dun think outlook express can sync with pda. I using outlook express. Its just for emailing purposes.

I tot the CD that comes wif the PDA will come wit it's own licensed outlook installation.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    I tot the CD that comes wif the PDA will come wit it's own licensed outlook installation.
    Depend on which version. Outlook 2000 dun need to activate but think 2002 onwards need to. Once activate, MS will have a record and you will need to go thru them when you want to reactivate after a format. At least that was what happen to me last time. Not sure any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Yah, but the offer I got is without CD...actually now I worry it maybe stolen goods...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast