Thread: esplanade.

Default esplanade.

the image below was taken on my first photo taking session. i am a newbie in photography and would really wish to improve. hence, i will be glad if the image below can be comment and critique by you guys. thanks in advance.

it is a shot of the esplanade (part of it) during daytime at around 4pm. comments and ways to improve the shot will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Default Re: esplanade.

one of the 'shot-to-death' places.

ok. i think if you could have frame the top left corner of the leaves, that will be better. it's kinda distracting and does nothing to the picture.

other than, i will prefer more skies or more of esplanade composition.

lighting is flat.

just my 2 cents.

Looks a bit underexposed to me
    And maybe too much sharpening done? Not too sure about that, though

I think too much sharperning liao.

too sharp ....

The torns looks like they are trembling.

thanks for the comments everyone. i do agree that there are errors in the picture. really appreciate all the comments and critiques. how do i ensure that a picture is not too sharp? i am really a noob in photography. am willing to learn.

thanks guys.

There are some halos between the "spikes" and the sky, sharpening artefacts I believe. Also noticed you may have set your camera date to year 2005?
    "...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by wetmybed View Post
    thanks for the comments everyone. i do agree that there are errors in the picture. really appreciate all the comments and critiques. how do i ensure that a picture is not too sharp? i am really a noob in photography. am willing to learn.

thanks guys.
    I believe there are quite a few ways to sharpen images, just google to find them. Basically you want to avoid creating artefacts from sharpening that destroys the image.

Just found one that seemed quite good and illustrates what happened to your image:
    http://www.zenadsl5251.zen.co.uk/photos/sharpening.html
    "...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

thanks for the c&c. i dont pay attn to the date set on my cam. shall take note of that in the future. btw, what do you mean by "sharpening artefacts"? sorry but i dont quite understand. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by centurion_sg View Post
    I believe there are quite a few ways to sharpen images, just google to find them. Basically you want to avoid creating artefacts from sharpening that destroys the image.

Just found one that seemed quite good and illustrates what happened to your image:
    http://www.zenadsl5251.zen.co.uk/photos/sharpening.html
    thanks for the website link. really appreciate it. will try to learn as much as possible. thank you so much.

There is no "correct" amount of lighting. If you think you need to underexpose, you will underexpose to get the desired effect and vice versa. What you need to take note of is the quality of the ambient lighting. You need to learn to read the light and know what time of the day would give you the best lighting to complement the building colour, texture, shadow etc. 4 in the afternoon is usually not a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    There is no "correct" amount of lighting. If you think you need to underexpose, you will underexpose to get the desired effect and vice versa. What you need to take note of is the quality of the ambient lighting. You need to learn to read the light and know what time of the day would give you the best lighting to complement the building colour, texture, shadow etc. 4 in the afternoon is usually not a good time.
    hey Kit. thanks so much for the comment and advice. really appreciate it. will take note of what you had said. thanks again.

No problem.

I managed to dig out 2 old shots to illustrate the importance of good ambient lighting for architectural works which many people seemed to overlook.

These 2 shots were taken 30 minutes apart. See the difference? That's what a storm and a setting sun can do for your pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    No problem.

I managed to dig out 2 old shots to illustrate the importance of good ambient lighting for architectural works which many people seemed to overlook.

These 2 shots were taken 30 minutes apart. See the difference? That's what a storm and a setting sun can do for your pictures.
    WOW. yeah, it does makes a difference. thanks for the enlightenment. (:

well..

what can I say? Tonal values are flat, try the wonders of curves...

and its so sharp it hurts.

jpg compression too high.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by wetmybed View Post
    WOW. yeah, it does makes a difference. thanks for the enlightenment. (:
    You could improve contrast by using the Graduated Netutral Density filter to reduce the glare in the sky. Yes, I agree the pics have been over sharpened in PS.

Just my take....