Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Application of passport for PRs' baby

Default Re: Application of passport for PRs' baby

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_lkt View Post
    Anyway, consular matters do not have long queues.
    Correct!

Bro ndroo, you have completed the process?

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Bro ndroo, you have completed the process?
    Yeah ... completed halfway

Went there on Monday, submitted the stuffs for birth cert. Takes 10 days for the birth cert to be ready!

So will have to be there again to collect birth cert and submit the application for passport (which we hope we don't have to go into the hell long queue, since they stamped some stuff on the passport app forms already). Due to the 10 days wait, we had to go ICA office to extend our baby's special pass.

[quote=ndroo]Yeah ... completed halfway - Ah good for you Bro.

Went there on Monday, submitted the stuffs for birth cert. Takes 10 days for the birth cert to be ready! - Ya, it does take that long. But there were cases where people got theirs in a week. (special request needed - don't ask me how?) Anyway, there is no birth cert to be collected on that day. Only Borang W, which is essentially a citizenship document. The birth cert was issued already when you registered your child at the hospital/ICA.

So will have to be there again to collect birth cert and submit the application for passport (which we hope we don't have to go into the hell long queue, since they stamped some stuff on the passport app forms already). Due to the 10 days wait, we had to go ICA office to extend our baby's special pass. - Ya, you may apply for the passport as soon as you have the Borang W on that day itself. But what do you mean that you have to extend the baby's special pass? Your baby is given 42 days stay.
    Last edited by Canew; 8th February 2007 at 10:17 AM.

[quote=Canew;2825899]
    Quote Originally Posted by ndroo
    Yeah ... completed halfway - Ah good for you Bro.

Went there on Monday, submitted the stuffs for birth cert. Takes 10 days for the birth cert to be ready! - Ya, it does take that long. But there were cases where people got theirs in a week. (special request needed - don't ask me how?) Anyway, there is no birth cert to be collected on that day. Only Borang W, which is essentially a citizenship document. The birth cert was issued already when you registered your child at the hospital/ICA)

So will have to be there again to collect birth cert and submit the application for passport (which we hope we don't have to go into the hell long queue, since they stamped some stuff on the passport app forms already). Due to the 10 days wait, we had to go ICA office to extend our baby's special pass. - Ya, you may apply for the passport as soon as you have the Borang W on that day itself. But what do you mean that you have to extend the baby's special pass? Your baby is given 42 days stay.
    We had to extend the special pass as we went to the msian hi-comm when baby was a month old. we calculated, the 42nd day was the day they asked us to go back collect the borang W. so no choice lo, had to extend. ICA was okay, real fast. Extended another month for the special pass. Phew

OK. Good luck to you Bro.

choonkeng
    Guests

Hi everyone!

Found this VERY useful thread (thanks to all the contributors). My wife will deliver the 2nd baby next month in SG. Our 1st baby was born in MY so not familiar with the procedures here. We are both SPR/Malaysian.

I have gathered most of the information, only some confusions left and hope you can give some kind advice:

1. What are the documents to produce when applying for Borang W?

2. When should the baby be present? I know we need to have baby when applying for Borang W, but what about passport application?

3. Our 1st baby was born in MY, and she got a MyKad. So, those born in SG just have Borang W without MyKad?

4. There is no need for any pass from ICA if we apply PR for the baby within 42 days, right?

5. Is it better to get the birth cert from hospital or ICA (which one is more convenient)? We are likely to spend a few days deciding on baby's name.

Many thanks in advance.

choonkeng
    Guests

3. Once Borang W is obtained, apply for the Malaysian Passport at the Immigration Section. If all goes well, you will be able to collect the new P/P the next day.
    Is the passport the new chip type (autogate capable)? How can it be ready in 1 day whereas normal passport applications have to wait for weeks (passports are made in JB).

Wah! Bro choonkeng, you specially registered yourself in order to get answers here? Anyway, welcome to ClubSNAP.
    I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. Note that my answers might not be complete/exhaustive. Please take my replies as a guide only.

1. What are the documents to produce when applying for Borang W?
    The documents needed are:
    - Malaysian IC of both parents.
    - Malaysian birth certificate of both parents
    - Passport of both parents.
    - Malaysian marriage certificate.
    - Singapore birth certificate of the baby.
    - Passport photo of the baby.
    - Form. They are obtained from the counter of the Consular section.

2. When should the baby be present? I know we need to have baby when applying for Borang W, but what about passport application?
    The baby MUST be present during the application of Borang W. After applying for Borang W at the Consulate Section, go to the Immigration Section to get the passport application form. Then go to a counter to let the officer sight the baby and the officer will make a note on the form clarifying that they have sighted the baby. Once this is done, your baby need not go to the Malaysian High Commission any more. (only once)

3. Our 1st baby was born in MY, and she got a MyKad. So, those born in SG just have Borang W without MyKad?
    You are right, those born overseas will only get Borang W and not the MyKad. They will only obtain the MyKad when they are 12 years old.

4. There is no need for any pass from ICA if we apply PR for the baby within 42 days, right?
    There are no other special passes to apply. Hence, you need to apply for PR before the 42 days is up. If not, like Bro ndroo, you would need to extend the special stay pass.

5. Is it better to get the birth cert from hospital or ICA (which one is more convenient)? We are likely to spend a few days deciding on baby's name.
    Of course, applying for BC at the hospital is more convenient. But if you will take a few days to decide on the name, your wife and baby would be out of the hospital by then. Then applying for the BC at ICA would make more sense, unless you live near the hospital.

Additional notes:
    - New born baby Passport will only be issued once the parent have done the registration with Malaysian Consular Department and Borang “W” have been allocated for them.

Last edited by Canew; 24th April 2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Updated as per choonkeng's post #34.

Quote Originally Posted by choonkeng View Post
    Is the passport the new chip type (autogate capable)? How can it be ready in 1 day whereas normal passport applications have to wait for weeks (passports are made in JB).
    Yes, the passport does have a chip in it. (can be seen and felt)
    How can it be ready in 1 day? Well, one can apply for a passport and get it the next day at ALL Immigration offices on Malaysia. Why it is not the case for JB's Immigration office, one wonders why...

choonkeng
    Guests

Thanks Canew! You are such a great help.

Called High Comm and couldn't speak to anyone, and don't want to make a trip there just to ask these simple things. Googled hard and it came up with this thread I have a Malaysian friend who will deliver in SG too (the due date is later than ours). I will forward this thread to him also. The procedures you explain are clear and in great details, I think it is one of the best "official procedures" one can find on the web.

Anyway, I'm quite interested in photography too (own a Fuji 6500FD) and may join other discussions.

Do you take photo at the shop nearby the High Comm (I suppose there is one nearby)? No other shops in SG do blue background as far as I know..

Glad that we are able to help each other out. That is the beauty of forums, right?

Ask around the photo shops near where you live, most of them would be able to provide a blue background for passport photo shots AFAIK.

hi to all,

bro choonkeng is my classmate buddy, was referred here for the information. thanks to him for the info.

hope that all will be smooth when i register for my baby in 2mths time.

choonkeng
    Guests

I'd like to add to the "Documents to bring" list:

Good luck.

thanks !

choonkeng
    Guests

Also note the form submission time is 8am - 11am Monday - Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by choonkeng View Post
    I'd like to add to the "Documents to bring" list:

Good luck.
    For the purpose of applicaiton of Borang W, choonkeng?

choonkeng
    Guests

For the purpose of applicaiton of Borang W, choonkeng?
    Yes. I actually went there twice as I didn't bring our birth certs the first time. Not a big problem, don't worry

Anyway, for the sake of completeness, below is the explanatory note given to me my the High Comm staff:

Quote Originally Posted by Msia High Comm
    REGISTRATION OF BIRTH FOR CHILDREN BORN IN SINGAPORE (WHOSE PARENTS ARE NON-SINGAPOREAN)

To complete two (2) sets of application form

1. Malaysian Identity Cards of Both Parents (original & 2 copies)
    2. Malaysian Birth Certificate & Citizenship Certificate of Both Parents (original & 2 copies)
    3. Malaysian Passports of Both Parents (produce the original only)
    4. Foreign Parent's Must Produce His/Her Original Passport, S'pore Blue IC and Photocopy (original & 2 copies)
    5. Malaysian Marriage Certificate (original & 2 copies)
    6. Baby's Singapore Birth Certificate (original & 2 copies)
    7. 2 Passport Size Photographs of The Baby (blue background)
    8. All Photocopies Must be in A4 Size

* Baby has to be present on the day of submission
    ** Both parents have to be present
    Submission time: Monday to Friday (8:00am - 11:00am)
    No.4 is not needed if both parents are Malaysian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12