Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

  1. #1

    Default a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    hi,

    currently i am trying to source for a len and a tripod....but not sure what to get...can anyone advise? i hope to take pics for fireworks during CNY....

    for the len, i don't need and can't afford expensive kind...budget around one hundred to two hundred plus...hope to replace my kit lens..need something sharp and can zoom in more than kit lens....don't know if there are any which will suit my critera or not....and the price and where to get it...

    for the tripod..something which is easy to carry around and can withstand the weight of eos 400d...budget below hundred...got? where to get it and how much??

    please advise....thanks alot!!!!!

    chee kiang
    Canon IXUS 850 / Canon EOS 400D 18mm-55mm Kit Lens

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekiang View Post
    hi,

    currently i am trying to source for a len and a tripod....but not sure what to get...can anyone advise? i hope to take pics for fireworks during CNY....

    for the len, i don't need and can't afford expensive kind...budget around one hundred to two hundred plus...hope to replace my kit lens..need something sharp and can zoom in more than kit lens....don't know if there are any which will suit my critera or not....and the price and where to get it...

    for the tripod..something which is easy to carry around and can withstand the weight of eos 400d...budget below hundred...got? where to get it and how much??

    please advise....thanks alot!!!!!

    chee kiang
    lens... non for your extreme requirement of 100-200 yet better than kit lens.

    tripod... got, but not very good... slik sprint pro @ 80+. able to withstand 400d + kit lens, nothing more, nothing less.

  3. #3

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    lens... non for your extreme requirement of 100-200 yet better than kit lens.

    tripod... got, but not very good... slik sprint pro @ 80+. able to withstand 400d + kit lens, nothing more, nothing less.
    hi

    thanks ExplorerZ for your prompt reply....

    hmm what would you recommend for the lens? i mean i found on Canon website that 70-200mm F4 USM is $500...is it a good lens? or should i get a prime lens instead?

    if i just want to get a sharp lens which can zoom better than kit lens regardless of price...i mean at least not those above 1K kind...what would you suggest??

    chee kiang
    Canon IXUS 850 / Canon EOS 400D 18mm-55mm Kit Lens

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekiang View Post
    hi

    thanks ExplorerZ for your prompt reply....

    hmm what would you recommend for the lens? i mean i found on Canon website that 70-200mm F4 USM is $500...is it a good lens? or should i get a prime lens instead?

    if i just want to get a sharp lens which can zoom better than kit lens regardless of price...i mean at least not those above 1K kind...what would you suggest??

    chee kiang
    are you sure 500SGD? from what i know even the non-IS version cost about 900-1k+

  5. #5
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekiang View Post
    hi

    thanks ExplorerZ for your prompt reply....

    hmm what would you recommend for the lens? i mean i found on Canon website that 70-200mm F4 USM is $500...is it a good lens? or should i get a prime lens instead?

    if i just want to get a sharp lens which can zoom better than kit lens regardless of price...i mean at least not those above 1K kind...what would you suggest??

    chee kiang
    u want canon or 3rd party??? tell us pls...

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    are you sure 500SGD? from what i know even the non-IS version cost about 900-1k+
    if 500 i buy and resell at a profit man...

  7. #7

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    hmm not sure about the $500....maybe is other currency....

    sorrie hmm either canon or 3rd party ba...which ever cheaper....and also supply on where i can purchase it....

    thanks...veri...much....

    chee kiang
    Canon IXUS 850 / Canon EOS 400D 18mm-55mm Kit Lens

  8. #8

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fu...od_type=lenses

    hi this is the link i checked the price leh....should be in $$$$ right??

    chee kiang
    Canon IXUS 850 / Canon EOS 400D 18mm-55mm Kit Lens

  9. #9

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by cheekiang View Post
    http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fu...od_type=lenses

    hi this is the link i checked the price leh....should be in $$$$ right??

    chee kiang
    From your link, the recommended sale price of Cannon 70-200 F/4L USM is S$1,700.

    Actually can get at around S$1,200.

    Check the price guide at Clubsnap's Canon Sub-forum too :

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...99#post2806799

    In any case, usually most poeople use something wide (<35mm) to take fireworks because they want to have the landscape to accompany the fireworks.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 31st January 2007 at 10:53 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    hi,

    thanks for your link...and also point out my mistake...think i saw wrongly...haiz...

    thanks...if not i go buy still think pple wana con my money...haiz again...

    thanks....

    chee kiang
    Canon IXUS 850 / Canon EOS 400D 18mm-55mm Kit Lens

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    Actually given your tight budget, I would suggest that you continue to use your kit lens, and increase your budget to get a good tripod. Unless you are going to sell your photos, the kit lens is an able lens for most occasion, even for fireworks. A good tripod would be more useful if your intention is to shoot fireworks or lowlight photography.

    For $200-300, you should be able to get a good tripod / ballhead setup. Look for brands like Manfrotto or Slik. Never save money on the tripod, you'll regret your choice later. I went through 2 cheap tripod before I learnt my lesson and get the best I can afford.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  12. #12
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    use your kit lens - stop down for better sharpness
    spend on a good tripod

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    use your kit lens - stop down for better sharpness
    spend on a good tripod
    2nd this.

    you not going anywhere far with another 100-200 lens and a weak tripod.

  14. #14

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    For your needs I'd recommend the tamron 55-200mm f4-5.6 it costs about 200 bucks and coupled with the 18-55 kit lens should give you pretty comprehensive coverage of focal lengths. I wouldn't recommend any tripod more expensive than 30bucks but under 100 unless you go 2nd hand. Reason being most tripods you buy first hand under 100 wouldn't be great performers anyway, so unless you're willing to spend in the region of 150-200 for a good budget tripod stick with the sub 30 dollars one it should last you for awhile while you save up for a sturdier one.

    With regards to getting "sharp" pictures it's possible to do so with most lens these days provided you shoot with the right techniques and within the limitations of the lens (ie stopping down, etc).

  15. #15

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    well for 100-200 i tink u should stick to the kit imho....

    i recommend the PPCP tripod man...over at mass orders

    cheerios

  16. #16

    Default Re: a newbie's questions on lens and tripod

    hihi,

    thanks for all of your constructive advice...

    think i will go get myself a good tripod...and continue to use my kit lens to get good pictures using the right technique...

    thanks alot guys....

    chee kiang
    Canon IXUS 850 / Canon EOS 400D 18mm-55mm Kit Lens

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •