Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 103

Thread: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

  1. #1

    Default Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Window Vista launched yesterday in many countries and will be launced today, 31 Jan, in Singapore. There's a fair bit of talk in Cnet and feedback from the editors is that its just an expensive service pack of Windows XP for Vista home and basic edition cos in these 2 editions, the additional security promised by Vista is absent.

    Personally, I'm not upgrading to Vista cos I don't see the need. How about you guys? Upgrading?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Yeah, i think i will, at least untill i can afford a MAC.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeocolin View Post
    Window Vista launched yesterday in many countries and will be launced today, 31 Jan, in Singapore. There's a fair bit of talk in Cnet and feedback from the editors is that its just an expensive service pack of Windows XP for Vista home and basic edition cos in these 2 editions, the additional security promised by Vista is absent.

    Personally, I'm not upgrading to Vista cos I don't see the need. How about you guys? Upgrading?

    Yes I will

  4. #4

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    After being a beta tester on it, I will say why not. However, why bother. I love apple

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NTU
    Posts
    1,906

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Not now. Probably after SP1 is released later this year, when Vista look more like a proper operation system.
    SMS Only: Nine One Five Zero Seven Two One Six

  6. #6

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    In principle, I wouldn't.
    The DRM restrictions on the Vista are just awful and restricting DX10 to Vista is just wrong.
    The idea that people will be forced to upgrade if they want to play future games is a little ludicrous.

    I'll be sticking to XP for awhile yet.
    Thinking about getting a Mac for the next system.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NTU
    Posts
    1,906

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Quote Originally Posted by radedward View Post
    In principle, I wouldn't.
    The DRM restrictions on the Vista are just awful and restricting DX10 to Vista is just wrong.
    The idea that people will be forced to upgrade if they want to play future games is a little ludicrous.

    I'll be sticking to XP for awhile yet.
    Thinking about getting a Mac for the next system.
    Does Need For Speed Carbon support Mac?
    SMS Only: Nine One Five Zero Seven Two One Six

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeocolin View Post
    Window Vista launched yesterday in many countries and will be launced today, 31 Jan, in Singapore. There's a fair bit of talk in Cnet and feedback from the editors is that its just an expensive service pack of Windows XP for Vista home and basic edition cos in these 2 editions, the additional security promised by Vista is absent.

    Personally, I'm not upgrading to Vista cos I don't see the need. How about you guys? Upgrading?
    Hi colin,

    Being a long time.

    I will stay put till the SP2 or something like that come up.


    Cheers

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sedna, Orion Stars
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Definitely not.

    Mircrosoft has truely shown its lack of creativity by copying Mac, so when Leopard comes out this year, I can expect even more groundbreaking innovations.

    Why get constraint by Windows lack of creativity and user friendliness and head for the best ever? Leopard and Mac gets my vote I say. It's really not expensive too, as compared to Windows.

    I would say the prices are competitive.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    Definitely not.

    Mircrosoft has truely shown its lack of creativity by copying Mac, so when Leopard comes out this year, I can expect even more groundbreaking innovations.

    Why get constraint by Windows lack of creativity and user friendliness and head for the best ever? Leopard and Mac gets my vote I say. It's really not expensive too, as compared to Windows.

    I would say the prices are competitive.
    i wudn't put too much hope on the next leopard. some screen shot leaks appeared on the web & u have things like themes & parental control (thats really old school). have a laugh reading opinions here but too bad apple made them pull out the screen shots already. http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/...ore-231185.php

    even the mac fan boys r not impressed.

    anyway, i juz bot a laptop & comes with free upgrade to vista. i think the whole vista multiple ver sucks big time!! imagine features u used to have in XP pro, now can only have them back if u r willing to pay a lot more!! oh well... i guess with such strategy to grab money, will only encourage more people using P* copies.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    just found another reason not to upgrade that soon

    http://www.tomcoyote.org/tech/vista-...our-xp-key/74/

    If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP, you will no longer be able to use that version of XP. Either on another system, or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation.

    From Vista’s EULA ....:

    13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.


  12. #12

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Quote Originally Posted by GriGri View Post
    Does Need For Speed Carbon support Mac?
    Dunno but I'm happy with Sims 2 on the Mac

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Novena
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Not so soon....

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    From Vista’s EULA ....:

    13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

    Micro$oft way of forcing the Vista number up.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Quote Originally Posted by radedward View Post
    just found another reason not to upgrade that soon

    http://www.tomcoyote.org/tech/vista-...our-xp-key/74/

    If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP, you will no longer be able to use that version of XP. Either on another system, or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation.

    From Vista’s EULA ....:

    13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

    apparently there's a workaround. no need to destroy the old XP & yet can do a clean install from the upgrade disc.

    troublesome but works. install vista twice. 1st time install it as 30 day trial. after that install it again as the official upgrade.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Nope. Not impressed with the GUI . I am a sucker for eye candy

  17. #17

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Nope. New Microsoft OS usually takes at least 2 yrs to stablize

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Got a couple of machines running on RC of vista.

    My view:

    NO.

    2 years later when the hardware catches up with the OS and with SP1 or SP2 - Likely.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    maybe a few months later when more programs support vista, then i'll upgrade. btw I own an eyeone, wonder if xrite will still support it

  20. #20

    Default Re: Will you be upgrading to Window Vista?

    Quote Originally Posted by radedward View Post
    In principle, I wouldn't.
    The DRM restrictions on the Vista are just awful and restricting DX10 to Vista is just wrong.
    The idea that people will be forced to upgrade if they want to play future games is a little ludicrous.

    I'll be sticking to XP for awhile yet.
    Thinking about getting a Mac for the next system.
    Same sentiments. In additional to this, you will need a much more powerful system just to support Vista.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •