Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to get good bak kut teh?

Member/Tangshooter

Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

Nobody ever tried the Marsiling one?? Its , very much the same taste I ate in JB..

But I've forgotten how to go that place again..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Usually pple say Ah Hua (the fella who serve Donald Tsuang) at Tanjong Pagar...and the bugger who refuse to serve him one (dunno what road...just off CTE) is good...I find ok lah.

For my fetish...I usually go to Alexandra Village hawker centre (opp Queensway Shopping Centre.) The shop is facing those accessories shops (one of which is call Hock Hin). I usually order the pork ribs from there and then add a beef stew from the stall a few doors away. What a feast !! Cheap...for a family of 4...my bill is usually under $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider117 View Post
    Usually pple say Ah Hua (the fella who serve Donald Tsuang) at Tanjong Pagar...and the bugger who refuse to serve him one (dunno what road...just off CTE) is good...I find ok lah..
    this is the rangoon road one lar.

For my fetish...I usually go to Alexandra Village hawker centre (opp Queensway Shopping Centre.) The shop is facing those accessories shops (one of which is call Hock Hin). I usually order the pork ribs from there and then add a beef stew from the stall a few doors away. What a feast !! Cheap...for a family of 4...my bill is usually under $20.
    that Cheap in these times for 4!!!!!!!!!

mai tu liao....i'm going to check it out

I think Balestier there got one store serve quite gd bah kut teh..

Quote Originally Posted by aaron80 View Post
    I think Balestier there got one store serve quite gd bah kut teh..
    thats the one i said got stars and actors and even ministers.......... but okay only lar

Usually pple say Ah Hua (the fella who serve Donald Tsuang) at Tanjong Pagar...and the bugger who refuse to serve him one (dunno what road...just off CTE) is good...I find ok lah.
    Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    this is the rangoon road one lar.
    Tanjong Pagar one is the PSA one just near CBD area right? Opens till afternoon, then they will go open the other stall near Zion road till late at night, where quite a number of Zouk-ers will visit after clubbing.

Recently I went to one near Chinese Garden MRT, think its YU HUA hawker center. It takes up 3 stalls, 2 side-by-side to prepare and serve, then another stall just to wash their utensils! It is not bad either. Both mentioned above are the white peppery type.

i eat the one at Hong Lim/Fook Hai... but not the 'morning bah kut teh'. its the dark dark kind ... my fav

YEAH!
    DEFINITELY lar!

I come from Kampar but was born in KL.....relatives ALL over M'sia, including Penang, Tregganu, Ipoh, Kelantan, blah blah blah....

how about you?

Anywayz......the other one thats NO WHERE NEAR back home ....... IPOH HOR FUN, CHAR KWAY TEOW..... and SALT BAKE CHICKEN!

wah lau.....i can't believe they dare say its from "Ipoh" and Ampang yong tau foo.....

even though i've been here for wad? 30+/- years?
    same state as you

the best ipoh hor fun is the one in Ipoh Old Town coffeshop the one and only true Ipoh hor fun

Just had Penang kway teow twice this week, still cannot accept the local type of char kway teow

Port-Klang Style B.K.T.
    - Geylang Lor 13
    - Bedok South Blk 54 Kopitiam

There's one at Katong that I quite like. Claypot one and the whole shop just sells BKT.
    Got other things inside the claypot also, not only pork ribs. Getting hungry..

hahaha! reading all your responses makes me hungry too! haha! thanks to all who replied and corrected me with love! haha.

Actually i know its the hokkien version of Bak Kut Teh. Dont know why i said dark sauce. hahaha! sorry if my ignorance offends =) thanks to all once again! i'll go try one of them out this sat!!

shihan

beside allson hotel, there this coffeeshop
    i think not bad just ate 2 days ago

its not called the "dark sauced" kind lar...

its the "herbal" kind...

there are some chinese herbs inside...esp "dang gui"... the best found in M'sia is not from Johor or whatnot, but from a specific area called Pasang......
    thats y older folks always say..."....Pasang bak kut teh...."

it takes a an overnight slow boil to bring out the best in bkt, and its the herbs that gives
    the dark colour....NOT DARK SOYA SAUCE (WHICH IS SOLD IN SGD!!!!)

I haven't found a single one in SGD that taste anything like those back in M'sia. most of them either just dump in dark soya sauce and make it look herbal.... :S

others....just loads of MSG......

usually, i get my load of bkt at home... but once awhile i'll go to Good Morning bkt at Hong Lim. (no big fish, shrimps oso can lar)
    Oh yeah, nothing can beat Klang ones. Some JB friends always tell me bout how great their BKT are ... tried them ... really can't compare with the Klang ones.

As for the local ones ... so far none of those I've tried can make it

Quote Originally Posted by CatEYE View Post
    Port-Klang Style B.K.T.
    - Geylang Lor 13
    - Bedok South Blk 54 Kopitiam
    Wah! Must go check em out liao. Saw a 'Klang' BKT too, me think recently opened, opposite Liquid Kitchen, Upp Thom Rd. Not yet go check it out though

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Marsiling kopi shop got one..inside bak kut teh got 'tau bok' and the long mushrooms serve in claypot..
    Yes, the one at Marsiling Blk 19 coffee shop is very good

Be prepared for a wait if you go during lunch-time.

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan View Post
    same state as you

the best ipoh hor fun is the one in Ipoh Old Town coffeshop the one and only true Ipoh hor fun

Just had Penang kway teow twice this week, still cannot accept the local type of char kway teow
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!
    tell me about it Wah! so u oso another Perak-ian?
    Kampar oso got "see hum chao hor fun" .... and they are famous also for chee cheong fun.....sesame and prawn paste "har goh" ....not the dark sweet dunno what bean sauce used in SGD.

CCF also can put the chinese style diluted curry with vege and "tau foo skin" ...yum!

Opposite Ipoh Old Town kopi stall has the BEST kaya and kaya toast and ipoh white coffee..... Ipoh Old Town kopistall has got damn good ipoh horfun, but still prefer a few more stalls down...can't remember the name liao..... but apparently even my great grandad used to patronise them !!! generally they are all about the same over there lar, so anytime, anywhere ...

Quote Originally Posted by furrycake View Post
    i eat the one at Hong Lim/Fook Hai... but not the 'morning bah kut teh'. its the dark dark kind ... my fav

Morning Bak Kut Teh is the dark dark kind...

i noe there's another stall a couple of stalls down that sells BKT also....

but never tried that...any good?

u noe what? my fav smell actually is still the CHARCOAL heated tea......

when i was in my childhood, i lived near a very fantastic Chee cheong fun maker in a small part of Kampar called "hong zhan yun" or something liddat...in cantonese.... they always use the charcoal to boil up the water and then pour the watery grounded rice (not the ready made flour!!!!) water over this circular wooden lid container..... and lay a good morning towel over it....

after a shortwhile. u get the chee cheong fun in a big circular wooden/bamboo dish...

they will then use a piece of rectangular metal thingey to "slice and chop" thru to make it look like very thin and flat hor fun....

then toss it with sesame oil and sesame seeds and pour the "Har goh"-prawn paste....

and there u have piping steaming hot KAMPAR chee cheong fun... looks like a plate of horfun noodles..but its NOT the same ..... SUPER addictive.......

however, that place no longer exist anymore as i think the main owner and CCF maker passed away and his children didn't continue...

damn I"M HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by plsoong; 2nd February 2007 at 02:44 PM.

Nobody ever tried the Marsiling one?? Its , very much the same taste I ate in JB..

But I've forgotten how to go that place again..
    Marsiling Lane, Blk 19 coffee shop. Opposite the Seiko factory.

Look up a road directory

Bernard

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by bernardy4416 View Post
    Marsiling Lane, Blk 19 coffee shop. Opposite the Seiko factory.

Look up a road directory

Bernard
    Thank you for the lead! Must go eat this coming weekend..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Thank you for the lead! Must go eat this coming weekend..
    Enjoy!! I haven't eaten there for a year, ever since I switched jobs.

It's always crowded at lunch-time. More than 3/4 of the kopi-tiam's clients patronize that stall.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast