Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

Thread: Where to get good bak kut teh?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    74

    Default Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Hey guys,

    im looking for good bak kut teh, the dark-soup kind.. wondering if any of you know or have encountered them before... pls let me know.... in singapore. JB is too flooded, too dangerous to go for just a bowl of soup. Hehe.

  2. #2

    Smile Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    rangoon rd. the one which turned down donald tsang. visited by takshin recently.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    rangoon rd. the one which turned down donald tsang. visited by takshin recently.
    i recommend this shop too!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Came across a rather good one at blk 453A AMK Ave 10. Not as good as the rangoon rd one but just good enough to enjoy...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Changi Village, The Hands. Served with Pork Ribs. Very nice. It's at the corner of the shop houses where the 2 major fishing tackle shops are found.

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    1,678

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Rochor center.. block 1.

  7. #7
    Moderator LOTUSfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    3,338

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumplestiltskin View Post
    Changi Village, The Hands. Served with Pork Ribs. Very nice. It's at the corner of the shop houses where the 2 major fishing tackle shops are found.

    Agreed. And service oso good.....applaud for their effort..

  8. #8

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eyesthruthelens View Post
    Rochor center.. block 1.
    If I'm not wrong this is the bak kut teh from the coffee shop near bugis CC?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    rangoon rd. the one which turned down donald tsang. visited by takshin recently.
    I think the quality has dropped and the portion is pathetic .... anyway this is the clear soup.
    What the TS wants is the Malacca/Johor/KL(Jln Imbi style) style of dark-sauce soup..... not so popular in Singapore...
    always the Light, .... always.

  10. #10
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    I think the quality has dropped and the portion is pathetic .... anyway this is the clear soup.
    What the TS wants is the Malacca/Johor/KL(Jln Imbi style) style of dark-sauce soup..... not so popular in Singapore...
    Marsiling kopi shop got one..inside bak kut teh got 'tau bok' and the long mushrooms serve in claypot..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    its not called the "dark sauced" kind lar...

    its the "herbal" kind...

    there are some chinese herbs inside...esp "dang gui"... the best found in M'sia is not from Johor or whatnot, but from a specific area called Pasang......
    thats y older folks always say..."....Pasang bak kut teh...."

    it takes a an overnight slow boil to bring out the best in bkt, and its the herbs that gives
    the dark colour....NOT DARK SOYA SAUCE (WHICH IS SOLD IN SGD!!!!)

    I haven't found a single one in SGD that taste anything like those back in M'sia. most of them either just dump in dark soya sauce and make it look herbal.... :S

    others....just loads of MSG......

    usually, i get my load of bkt at home... but once awhile i'll go to Good Morning bkt at Hong Lim. (no big fish, shrimps oso can lar)

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Hong Lim Park !

    it is located at ground floor... the teochew porridge and curry mee noddles also not bad.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    home
    Posts
    620

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    there are some chinese herbs inside...esp "dang gui"... the best found in M'sia is not from Johor or whatnot, but from a specific area called Pasang......
    thats y older folks always say..."....Pasang bak kut teh...."
    should be Klang Bak Kut Teh, Klang in Cantonese is called "Pa Sang"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bak_kut_teh

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    the dark one is hokkien style...the white one is teochew version. The white one usually is very pepperish.

    Hokkien style one I like queenstown used to have a row of hawker stores in a solitary building long time ago...dunno whether now still have or not. The other store nearer to town one at River Valley Rd next to UE square a lot of pub goers like to go there...a bit pepperish for me but still a popular choice.

    The white one can try bendemeer - Singapore's longest HDB block downstairs...recommended by many taxi driver also.

    These stores I mention are not only good in bak Kut Teh, their mei cai, dou kee as well as other seasoned side dishes are very good also....very few stores are all rounders...mostly just nice in the soup only.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by caseytan View Post
    should be Klang Bak Kut Teh, Klang in Cantonese is called "Pa Sang"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bak_kut_teh


    yar,

    i'm a cantonese ex-M'sian thats y i say Pa Sang mar
    lol

  16. #16

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
    the dark one is hokkien style...the white one is teochew version. The white one usually is very pepperish.

    Hokkien style one I like queenstown used to have a row of hawker stores in a solitary building long time ago...dunno whether now still have or not. The other store nearer to town one at River Valley Rd next to UE square a lot of pub goers like to go there...a bit pepperish for me but still a popular choice.

    The white one can try bendemeer - Singapore's longest HDB block downstairs...recommended by many taxi driver also.

    These stores I mention are not only good in bak Kut Teh, their mei cai, dou kee as well as other seasoned side dishes are very good also....very few stores are all rounders...mostly just nice in the soup only.

    the Dark soy sauce one is the Hokkien version.

    Cantonese version (THE DARK HERBAL ONES) are known from super old ancient times as the coolies brought them from Canton. (*side OT info*: in the olden days, there are only 2 chinese languages that can be used in the imperial examinations:- one is old mandarin (which is nothing like today's mandarin) and Cantonese)


    just a sidenote too.... most people think Vinegered pig trotters are a dish from Teochew. In fact, alot of fantastic dishes like this originated from Hakka and if u ever have a chance to try an traditional authentic one....... i can guarantee that you will long for more..... *end of OT*

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    home
    Posts
    620

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    yar,

    i'm a cantonese ex-M'sian thats y i say Pa Sang mar
    lol
    haha, later most ppl dunno which place you're talking about

    so far still have not found a good bak kut teh yet, still prefer the ones back in Msia

  18. #18

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
    the dark one is hokkien style...the white one is teochew version. The white one usually is very pepperish.

    Hokkien style one I like queenstown used to have a row of hawker stores in a solitary building long time ago...dunno whether now still have or not. The other store nearer to town one at River Valley Rd next to UE square a lot of pub goers like to go there...a bit pepperish for me but still a popular choice.

    The white one can try bendemeer - Singapore's longest HDB block downstairs...recommended by many taxi driver also.

    These stores I mention are not only good in bak Kut Teh, their mei cai, dou kee as well as other seasoned side dishes are very good also....very few stores are all rounders...mostly just nice in the soup only.

    apparently for the white peppery ones:-

    1) Ng Ah Soh - Rangoon road....the one that thaksin ate and got us into a political problem LOL!....i found this one WAY TOO PEPPERY!!!!...... nothing to taste other than pepper and MSG...
    2) The NOW keppel road..... can't remember the name of the shop
    3) Balestier road got a ROW of them.... 1 or 2 even got famous stars and actors and ministers...but erm......NO BIGGIE lor.......
    4) there's one at Sin Ming...called Rong He or dunno what...Stall 1...near the auto care center... ate there recently.....like that only lor...

    in short.....one man's meat is another man's poison.... maybe i am still a traditional old junkie lar

  19. #19

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by caseytan View Post
    haha, later most ppl dunno which place you're talking about

    so far still have not found a good bak kut teh yet, still prefer the ones back in Msia


    YEAH!
    DEFINITELY lar!

    I come from Kampar but was born in KL.....relatives ALL over M'sia, including Penang, Tregganu, Ipoh, Kelantan, blah blah blah....

    how about you?

    Anywayz......the other one thats NO WHERE NEAR back home ....... IPOH HOR FUN, CHAR KWAY TEOW..... and SALT BAKE CHICKEN!

    wah lau.....i can't believe they dare say its from "Ipoh" and Ampang yong tau foo.....

    even though i've been here for wad? 30+/- years?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Where to get good bak kut teh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumplestiltskin View Post
    Changi Village, The Hands. Served with Pork Ribs. Very nice. It's at the corner of the shop houses where the 2 major fishing tackle shops are found.
    Yes, i agree to the changi village " the hands "...the Blessed place

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •