Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which programming should I pick up?

Talking Which programming should I pick up?

I was looking for a program which does a conversion for certain usage but couldn't find it on the web. So I have decided to code it in pascal myself. Haven't programmed for last 14 yrs but was surprised to manage to get the coding work. Now interested to get back into programming but now like to start something new in windows enviroment instead. Which one should I pick up first? Any advise? thanks..

Default Re: Which programming should I pick up?

windows? hmmm..

if u wanna fast development, try Visual Basic .... or Visual C++.

Struts and Java also cool

I would suggest C programming first. Then you can slowly go into C++ (object-oriented). After that you can practically dive into Java or easily pick up any other language, that is if you got your foundations right.

Quote Originally Posted by mervlam View Post
    I would suggest C programming first. Then you can slowly go into C++ (object-oriented). After that you can practically dive into Java or easily pick up any other language, that is if you got your foundations right.
    since he knew Pascal, he may not need to go into C first.

How abt C#?

If you're coding for personal use (not intending to make a career of it) and mostly application stuff, i would suggest Visual Basic. It is a very easy to pick up and development is fast, as compared to anything in the C family. C would be a better choice for lower level stuff - drivers, system calls, micro-memory management, etc. C execution speed is generally much faster, but debugging and maintenance is a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    If you're coding for personal use (not intending to make a career of it) and mostly application stuff, i would suggest Visual Basic. It is a very easy to pick up and development is fast, as compared to anything in the C family. C would be a better choice for lower level stuff - drivers, system calls, micro-memory management, etc. C execution speed is generally much faster, but debugging and maintenance is a PITA.
    Agreed!

the last time i used VB is version 3.0 running in win 3.1 when i was in poly

now in company, been using web language like PHP , ASP, JSP

erm what conversions you want to make i suggest using
    C++ lah very easy

you can get the free express version over at the main webpage

you can try Java or C# easier to learn than C++ and C
    For a simple conversion program anything will do
    I can do for you haha

They're all easy. The only problem is which one has enough libraries/framework for you to do the work without trying to come up with the entire algorithm. Try java. Easy as half boiled eggs.

The answer is obvious, since you've done it in Pascal, the next step is to develop in Delphi! Delphi is Object Pascal.

Try downloading Turbo Delphi from http://www.turboexplorer.com/ its free!

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    :s I cannot understand basic any bit at all.. can it be that I'm thinkig too complex while it's too basic for me? :s :s
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

VB or C is good as a starter. Java is for the net. You can download programs such as Eclipse or Weblogic to program in Java. They have free tutorials in it.

Many photographers here are from the IT line. For example Irwan is very good at Hibernate and database systems.

i'm good at hibernating too!!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Deregistered

go microsoft and download the programming tools...its FOC...

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    i'm good at hibernating too!!
    try java Hibernate, I look at the stuff become blur

Account Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by quekky View Post
    try java Hibernate, I look at the stuff become blur
    Try looking at EJB 3.0 then look at Hibernate 3.0, think you'll appreciate Hibernate better.

Quote Originally Posted by camerakit View Post
    The answer is obvious, since you've done it in Pascal, the next step is to develop in Delphi! Delphi is Object Pascal.

Try downloading Turbo Delphi from http://www.turboexplorer.com/ its free!
    Agree on this.

Code compatibility is very good in Delphi. For example, some Delphi 1 projects are known to work in the latest version of Delphi via a recompile. Try that in Visual Basic.

I find it quite funny (no pun intended) that some of you suggests EJB, Struts, Hibernate..... they aren't programming languages in the first place.

:Later,
    Last edited by Pinoy; 1st February 2007 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot View Post
    I was looking for a program which does a conversion for certain usage but couldn't find it on the web. So I have decided to code it in pascal myself. Haven't programmed for last 14 yrs but was surprised to manage to get the coding work. Now interested to get back into programming but now like to start something new in windows enviroment instead. Which one should I pick up first? Any advise? thanks..
    It will depend what is your intended target. Various language have their own pros and cons.

If it is just for personal usage and it is a very simple application in windows environment and for RAD, you may want to try either VB / C# / java. All should be an relative easy migration for you from Pascal.

Enjoy

... or script it: Perl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast