Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    tampines
    Posts
    10

    Smile does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    hiya...i m doing a report,therefore need this info.We always see photo size stating 4R,5R,6R and so on...anyone gt any idea wat does tt 'R' stand for?or rather wat does '4R' stand for?

    Thnks alot!

  2. #2

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    no la...i think wat he meant was, why issit called 4R in the 1st place and not 4T or 4S or 4F.... wat exactly does the "R" means?
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    4R rectangle
    4S square

  5. #5

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    no la...i think wat he meant was, why issit called 4R in the 1st place and not 4T or 4S or 4F.... wat exactly does the "R" means?
    In referred thread, there is link to Wikipedia that mention that photographic paper size is given a designated code ending with suffix "R". No further mention of the possible reason for selecting suffix "R".

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    Standard photographic print sizes are usually defined with nR where the n represents the length of the shorter side in inches.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    tampines
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    thnks alot to all who replied!all of u hv been most helpful!

  8. #8
    Moderator chngpe01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,863
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    Quote Originally Posted by kex View Post
    4R rectangle
    4S square
    and the numeric represent

    Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    Standard photographic print sizes are usually defined with nR where the n represents the length of the shorter side in inches.
    That's the answer
    Last edited by chngpe01; 31st January 2007 at 12:01 AM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    Hmm... I didn't know that...

    Then what what about A3, A4 etc??? The "A" stands for??

  10. #10
    Moderator chngpe01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,863
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    Quote Originally Posted by Youhong View Post
    Hmm... I didn't know that...

    Then what what about A3, A4 etc??? The "A" stands for??
    That is actually the size of paper not photo prints.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    4R, I believe it is come from 4 Reproduction.

    It is 4 x size of negative 35mm film (H:36mm x V:24mm) ==> H:144mm x V:96mm.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  12. #12

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    For paper size, check this link at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    http://360.itcow.com
    Posts
    2,363

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    there is also the the advise given by Fujifilm when we develop that it'll be cropped 4R for digital and non digital, why so?

  14. #14

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    4R, I believe it is come from 4 Reproduction.

    It is 4 x size of negative 35mm film (H:36mm x V:24mm) ==> H:144mm x V:96mm.

    Regards,
    Arto.
    sounds reasonable, 4x magnification or reproduction of 35mm negative results in something slightly smaller than the paper, ie. allowing for the frame the hold the paper down during exposure. 4R is 4inch x 6 inch, in mm this is 101.6 x 152.4mm so a 4x magnified 35mm negative is a bit smaller.

  15. #15

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    Quote Originally Posted by etegration View Post
    there is also the the advise given by Fujifilm when we develop that it'll be cropped 4R for digital and non digital, why so?
    Different aspect ratio.

    Many consumer digital compact cameras and 4/3rd systems uses 4:3 ratio. 4R is 3:2 which is wider L to R or narrower top to bottom. So to fit 4:3 into 3:2, you either crop off the top and bottom, or leave empty space L & R.

    However, most DSLR outputs in 3:2 and will not have cropping issues with 4R prints.

    BC

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    4R, I believe it is come from 4 Reproduction.

    It is 4 x size of negative 35mm film (H:36mm x V:24mm) ==> H:144mm x V:96mm.

    Regards,
    Arto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    sounds reasonable, 4x magnification or reproduction of 35mm negative results in something slightly smaller than the paper, ie. allowing for the frame the hold the paper down during exposure. 4R is 4inch x 6 inch, in mm this is 101.6 x 152.4mm so a 4x magnified 35mm negative is a bit smaller.

    No, saying that 4R is just 4x the 35mm negative size is incorrect. The numbers are totally off (even the aspect ratio is totally different when you look at the other print sizes). A 5R print is 5inch x 7inch - totally different size and aspect ratio when compared to 5x the 35mm negative size.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Ansel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land Downunder
    Posts
    2,207

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    4R
    4 = 4 inches on the shorter side (as gooseberry pointed above)
    R = Rectangle.

    Of course, the numeric figure is just approximate not exact. Eg, 3R is actually 3.5x5 inch and not 3x5 ( to keep to the correct aspect ratio)

    The wikipedia page referred to by squid is quite clear on this.

    "4R, I believe it is come from 4 Reproduction.

    It is 4 x size of negative 35mm film (H:36mm x V:24mm) ==> H:144mm x V:96mm.

    Regards,
    Arto."

    This cannot be further from the truth because if you send in a roll of 120 (medium format film) and print it in 4R, the prints will still be 4x6inch, regardless of your film size.

    Certain format will be better of being printed in a square shape, such as a hasselblad square shaped image, thus there is 8S (8inch, square), which certain labs are able to print. Also in the past when the Kodak Instamatic (126 format) camera was popular, labs were also offering 3S (3inch, square)

    Some mistakes are quite common, for example, Colourlab in Adelphi insists that their 10x15inch prints are called "15R" even though this is clearly incorrect.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Ansel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land Downunder
    Posts
    2,207

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    No, saying that 4R is just 4x the 35mm negative size is incorrect. The numbers are totally off (even the aspect ratio is totally different when you look at the other print sizes). A 5R print is 5inch x 7inch - totally different size and aspect ratio when compared to 5x the 35mm negative size.
    haha...you beat me to it!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: does anyone knw wats the meaning of 4R?

    Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    No, saying that 4R is just 4x the 35mm negative size is incorrect. The numbers are totally off (even the aspect ratio is totally different when you look at the other print sizes). A 5R print is 5inch x 7inch - totally different size and aspect ratio when compared to 5x the 35mm negative size.
    In the good old day, they use Reproduction ratio like 1R, 2R to enlarge the negative. But, they must follow the available photo paper, which photo paper manufacturer use inch as a standard, so reproduction/enlargement can not precise 4R or 5R, use 'agak-agak'. So the 4R become something like 4 inch on the height size.

    If this 4R come from beginning to represent 'inch', they will name it 4I instead of 4R .

    Regards,
    Arto.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •