Thread: Raw Vs Bracket

Default Raw Vs Bracket

After starting to shoot in Raw, I realised its potential to play around with the different settings. And simply loves it.

However, If I were to shoot in brackets and merge them in HDR format, will it perform as well as RAW?

please advise.

Default Re: Raw Vs Bracket

Well you could still bracket your shots in RAW. This way, the range will be further expanded, instead of trying HDR from a single RAW photo with a more limited range.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by ryuggen View Post
    After starting to shoot in Raw, I realised its potential to play around with the different settings. And simply loves it.

However, If I were to shoot in brackets and merge them in HDR format, will it perform as well as RAW?

please advise.
    Well... in RAW, you have a small leeway in terms of exposure. Well, if I want to do bracketing, I'd still shoot in RAW and have more room to play with.

Very taxing on memory if were to use RAW. I saw a few photos over in flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lesec/374882166/

I'm really impressed by how he did the post process. Is this a case of HDR? Or how did he managed to capture such contrasting colors. I seriously doubt if any camera can produce this kind of quality without serious PS.

Anyway, thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuggen View Post
    Very taxing on memory if were to use RAW. I saw a few photos over in flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lesec/374882166/

I'm really impressed by how he did the post process. Is this a case of HDR? Or how did he managed to capture such contrasting colors. I seriously doubt if any camera can produce this kind of quality without serious PS.

Anyway, thanks guys.
    Well, if you want to maximise your range, RAW is the best.

I don't think the picture in your link is HDR. It is more of getting the quality and angle of light right at the time of shoot. Also I believe the photographer did not have to do any really serious amount of editing, maybe just some tweaking to enhance the colours.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

I prefer only RAW than bracketing. In bracketing, there is a different in time when the bracketing shoots was taken. If you combine them in HDR, it will create another problem.

Regards,
    Arto.

Hi all, sorry to OT here. How do you merge your photos into a HDR format picture? What software do you use? Does the software that came along with my Canon 300D support this? I tried searching the forums for "HDR" but apparently the search engine returns nothing.

Appreciate any reply. Thank you.