Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Will you lend your camera to friends for free?

Default Re: Will you lend your camera to friends for free?

yes if u believe they can take good care of them....

It all depends on the person.

Quote Originally Posted by look4raymond View Post

IMO, a true fren can be verified only if he had ever risked his life for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    My friends not even dare to think to borrow my dslr as they only used to compact camera .

Regards,
    Arto.

if my friend is IN photography or a photographer (which is most likely owns DLSR camera) - YES
    else - NO.

the price and worth of a dSLR is far lower than that of a friend. I, for certain, wouldnt wanna be one of those arrogant arses who feels high and mighty simply because they possess some high-end gears.

Depends on how much the friendship means to me...

Quote Originally Posted by alloymist View Post
    Friendship can be broke simply because stupid mistake (like lend your camera to friends for free...) . Know who your friends before you lend your camera...

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Friendship can be broke simply because stupid mistake (like lend your camera to friends for free...) . Know who your friends before you lend your camera...

Regards,
    Arto.
    My friends who know me well enough will know better not to borrow camera from me.

Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    the price and worth of a dSLR is far lower than that of a friend. I, for certain, wouldnt wanna be one of those arrogant arses who feels high and mighty simply because they possess some high-end gears.
    Depends on whether you've used up almost all of your savings on the gears. When you know you jolly well you cannot afford another piece, the friend should also jolly well know what to do if accidents happen. Most will just throw the thing back at you and pretend nothing happened. Then do you want to confront or take the loss yourself?

Remember, photography is not just for the elites, and it doesn't mean that the poorer cannot eat grass and save up for a D2X or 1DSmkII, but that probably about the only one they can afford.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 7th February 2007 at 02:01 PM.

If it's a good friend, we'll have a short chat to get a clear understanding that, should anything be damaged/scratched/lost, no questions asked, he/she will have to go buy a brand new one for replacement.

Once that is clear, I'd gladly help out a good friend for free.

If it's just an acquaintance (or colleague), I will refer him/her to one of the rental services. Time is too precious to risk getting into squabbles over minor things.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Depends on whether you've used up almost all of your savings on the gears. When you know you jolly well you cannot afford another piece, the friend should also jolly well know what to do if accidents happen. Most will just throw the thing back at you and pretend nothing happened. Then do you want to confront or take the loss yourself?

Remember, photography is not just for the elites, and it doesn't mean that the poorer cannot eat grass and save up for a D2X or 1DSmkII, but that probably about the only one they can afford.
    if friendships to you can simply be measured by monetary value, then i have no else to say. =)

no i wun lends it to a friends unless i know them very very well, and they own a DSLR tooz [like they say send for repair then need spare camera...]

but if not nope... i am too inlove with my cam to share :P
    Last edited by Kagari; 7th February 2007 at 04:33 PM.

I've lent friends my compact digital cameras to take overseas on holiday with them a few times, and I've lent an SLR to a newbie friend to try out shooting with one. I don't have high-end gear, but most of my cameras are old, and sometimes fragile. For people I've just met, I don't let them use my cameras if I'm not around as well.

I have a bit of a reputation among my friends for being quite strict and particular about my stuff, so I think they know better than to mishandle anything. That said, I would gladly lend it to them if they're genuinely in need of the camera, or interested in photography.

If the camera came back damaged, I would point it out and find out what happened on the spot, and arrive at an understanding. Thankfully, all my cameras are fine. If I had to borrow a camera from someone, I would ask the owner to show me how he/she handles it first, because different people have different preferences and owners would know their gear best. Plus, I find it puts them at ease knowing I would handle it just as they would.

Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    if friendships to you can simply be measured by monetary value, then i have no else to say. =)
    That's the idea.. you can't.. And you can't make them pay for it too.. So my friends know better than to borrow stuff from me.. Even if I'm willing they will not want to because it would be too much of a responsibility for them.

Quote Originally Posted by alloymist View Post
    you will know once they broke your DLSR......
    an expensive lesson....

i want to ask to borrow my family friends 16-35L to see whether i like it or not and will offer my 24-70L as an insurance to him while i borrow his lens.

i think that i wouldn't mind lending it to a close friend if they could provide me with a means to ensure that i will get my equipment back in the condition that it was lent. but even so, that's a hard guarantee to get considering equipment can cost so much and the borrower usually doesn't realise the value of $*000 until they need to fork out...
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

I don't mind borrow my DSLR but they must at least have some try before or else
    is a big NO to them.
    Canon User Since SLR 888
    Owner of 5D mark III

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234